NYC / Brooklyn Record Spots, What's Good??

sloppywhitesloppywhite 230 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
NYC Strutters...b, 21I'm gonna be in Brooklyn for a few days and wanted to know what are some of the better shops to check out? Like if I just had time to hit up 3, what you recommend?b, 21Thanks!

Comments

• Brooklyn: b, 21Dope Jams (Clinton Hill)b, 21Academy (Williamsburg)b, 21uh... Israel's spot on Fulton Ave?b, 21b, 21that's if you don't feel like crossing the East River.b, 21b, 21in Manhattan:b, 21Good Recordsb, 21Big Cityb, 21Academy (East Village)

• Thanks!b, 21Is the Sound Library still around?

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Thanks!
    b, 21Is the Sound Library still around?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21yeah. worth checking out after the others

• The Sound Library is still around, and worth checking. It is at a different location than before (Orchard St btwn Stanton and Rivington). Jared and Steve branched off and opened Big City, mentioned above.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21The Sound Library is still around, and worth checking. Jared and Steve branched off and opened Big City, mentioned above.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Sound Library is way TOO overpriced! if you want a good prices and stock do Good and Big City in NYCb, 21b, 21and then Academy in BK!b, 21b, 21at TSL you will be paying double on what a common record goes for at the above mentioned spots. and for rare shit forget about it! sorry for the ill will towards TSL if anyone is a fan but that place dont sit right with me!

• i never really shopped at TSL and don't want to be a gossip, but what was up with that "divorce" creating the two shops? was it just be your own boss and amicable or the results of a feud?

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i think the split up came though when the lease on the old store was up...no clue about what though!

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Sound Library is way TOO overpriced!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Thanks... This is what i've heard but didn't know if it was still worth a visit.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    it was, quite literally, the end of an era.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Brooklyn:
    b, 21uh... Israel's spot on Fulton Ave?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I dunno if this is still open. I haven't been by there in a minute, but the last year I was living over in those parts he was never open anytime I went by. I know his hours were somewhat irregular, but it was like WTF? A couple times the sidewalk doors would be open but the actual door into the basement was locked.

• i was in there in october.. probably the last time i visit.b, 21great guy, but i've never found anything particularly special there.

• Jonny paycheck said the best ones!!

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I found TSL's prices for reggae pretty reasonable for whatever that's worth.b, 21Everything else not so much, I have no clue who's still paying his prices for 90's majorb, 21label hip hop though. He must wait for the Euroman and Japanese to snatch it up I guess.