Douglas Records - Questions, confusions

karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
Okay, so im going thru my collection, stripping out unwanted doubles and such (helps soothe the mind), and i am stumped on the following: John McLaughlin "devotion". Douglas Records 4. b, 21b, 21both copies are US in gatefolds, with very similar art. b, 21b, 21one copy has a bright red/orange label with "douglas" in a cool box design. the cover is slick paper as opposed to matte. the cover has the note: "stereo/KZ 31568"b, 21b, 21the other copy has a matte sleeve, no mention of stereo, and the label is black with silver "Douglas" in script (the familiar logo). this label also has fine print: 'distributed by PIP records, a divition of pickwick Int'l". the arrangement of pictures and text on the back cover is a bit different too, but nothing is added or removed aside from an added note that ralph mcdonald plays percussion on "dont let the dragon eat your mother".b, 21b, 21now, i know that pickwick by 1970 was a budget label, that ended up doing all those repackagings for RCA etc. so im tempted to say the one with the orange label is the first or earlier version. but the pickwick one is a bit heavier stock (jacket and vinyl) than the douglas one, and doesnt feel budget at all. And teh internet seems to be no help at all. Anyone got a clue on this?

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I hadn't really noticed the silver label until recently on a copy of the Ginsberg lp. It looks older/earlier than the reddish label (too me) which I'm more used to seeing, but I couldn't say for sure.

• Douglas Records went through several distributors in ten years, and I believe the Pickwick version of the McLaughlin came first, in 1970. This is based on the fact that seemingly all the Douglas/CBS releases came out the following year, so when they left Pickwick, they re-pressed the album with CBS.b, 21b, 21Pickwick actually distributed a few newer labels on the side. Aside from Douglas, they also had De-Lite, around the '73-'75 era. They also had their own label, Pip, which was set up for new releases. So not everything they did was a reissue.

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Douglas Records went through several distributors in ten years, and I believe the Pickwick version of the McLaughlin came first, in 1970. This is based on the fact that seemingly all the Douglas/CBS releases came out the following year, so when they left Pickwick, they re-pressed the album with CBS.
    b, 21
    b, 21Pickwick actually distributed a few newer labels on the side. Aside from Douglas, they also had De-Lite, around the '73-'75 era. They also had their own label, Pip, which was set up for new releases. So not everything they did was a reissue.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21hey thanks! i just couldnt find any hard data about what order things went down in. i didnt know the red douglas label was '71+ nor that it was a cbs thing. i appreciate it. (hell, if ya cant trust pickwick33 on a question about pickwick, who can ya trust?)