80s/90s Independent

GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
I was going through a collection for a dealer friend today. He sells lots of 80s/90s Independent/Pop/Alternative/Punk LPs. I was surprised that people already pay big money for those kind of records. b, 21b, 21I don't know anything about 80s/90s music. Even some records from 2005 are getting very expensive. I think I could easily find good records while looking for my kind of stuff.b, 21b, 21The labels I was looking for were Creation, Sarah, el, Echestra, Parasol, Glass, Flying Nun, Too Pure, etcb, 21b, 21What other labels are collectible? Any bands with sought after records? Are there any sure hits? b, 21b, 21What bands/labels do you like?

Comments

• This is very true, mainly because vinyl pressings from this era were limited since this stuff was mainly pressed to cd and because indy labels did small runs.b, 21Even subpop, thrill jockey, drag city, and then all those little labels from the britpop stuff too.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21This is very true, mainly because vinyl pressings from this era were limited since this stuff was mainly pressed to cd and because indy labels did small runs.
    b, 21Even subpop, thrill jockey, drag city, and then all those little labels from the britpop stuff too.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I've seen Drag City LPs as well. The store I've been to could be quite cool for that kind of stuff. Too bad I don't know anything about it.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21This is very true, mainly because vinyl pressings from this era were limited since this stuff was mainly pressed to cd
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21maybe in the nineties, but not in the eighties...cd's were definitely around, but they hadnt taken over until the tail end of the decade

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21This is very true, mainly because vinyl pressings from this era were limited since this stuff was mainly pressed to cd
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21maybe in the nineties, but not in the eighties...cd's were definitely around, but they hadnt taken over until the tail end of the decade
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21CD's were very much a luxury and were treated as such until the first bootlegs (Dylan, Beatles) were released, making the public realized that "the final format" could be tapped into by entrepreneurs. I still remember when hip-hop albums made it on CD 6 to 9 months after the fact, sometimes two years. It wasn't until 1991-1992 that labels made it a habit to release CD's, cassettes, and maybe vinyl at the same time.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21maybe in the nineties, but not in the eighties...cd's were definitely around, but they hadnt taken over until the tail end of the decade
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21In regard to what we were talking about, indy stuff, really small pressings, really small labels not the f*cking Traveling Wilburys.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21In regard to what we were talking about, indy stuff, really small pressings, really small labels not the f*cking Traveling Wilburys.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21that's EXACTLY what I'm talking about, indie stuff. the wilburys aint in it.b, 21b, 21for most of the 1980's, indie label rock on CD was just not common - everything was mainly pressed to VINYL.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    so still... are there any sure hits that one should pick up? any websites? any suggestions? b, 21b, 21i have no clue about bands or labels. i've seen so many interesting records today. b, 21b, 21what are your favorite bands / labels?