NYC'ers... EXPLAIN Charles Hamilton to me!!! NOW!!

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
For real. WTF? This is dude is horrible and he's calling out SouljaBoy (also horrible, BUT I ride for what he does). Cut from the same cloth, yes?b, 21b, 21I mean dude is making songs with Max B. Magnetic, holla at this thread! b, 21b, 21object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1b, 21b, 21object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1b, 21b, 21object width="480" height="295"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"1/embed1/object1

Comments

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21For real. WTF? This is dude is horrible and he's calling out SouljaBoy (also horrible, BUT I ride for what he does). Cut from the same cloth, yes?
    b, 21
    b, 21I mean dude is making songs with Max B. Magnetic, holla at this thread!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    object width="425" height="344"1
    param name="movie" value=""1
    /param1
    param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1
    /param1
    param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1
    /param1
    embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1
    /embed1
    /object1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    object width="425" height="344"1
    /param1
    /param1
    /param1
    embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1
    /embed1
    /object1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    object width="480" height="295"1
    /param1
    /param1
    /param1
    embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"1
    /embed1
    /object1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Not much to explain dude. Doesn't really have any fans except on the internets, likes to sample Sega Genesis songs, thinks he's Kanye West and got a grip of money from Interscope because they needed "a different rapper like Kanye". Has yet to make a listenable song, thinks that liking Slipknot makes him eclectic.

• he got swagger!

• LOL at Souljaboy wearing a lime green Members Only jacket while making fun of George's hat. b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/game02vy9.gif" alt="" /1

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I haven't heard anything from him,only seen him featured on the XXL cover with a bunch of other fail artists that are supposedly the freshmen of 09.b, 21As Soulja Boy says the only one with any potential to blow is Corey Gunz.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Doesn't really have any fans except on the internets
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Not much to explain dude. Doesn't really have any fans except on the internets, likes to sample Sega Genesis songs, thinks he's Kanye West and got a grip of money from Interscope because they needed "a different rapper like Kanye". Has yet to make a listenable song, thinks that liking Slipknot makes him eclectic.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21All of this I know, but you're gonna have to cite sources on that Interscope knowledge. And those internet fans seem to be coming out in mass to his real world shows. He's getting passes from a lot of people that should know better.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Not much to explain dude. Doesn't really have any fans except on the internets, likes to sample Sega Genesis songs, thinks he's Kanye West and got a grip of money from Interscope because they needed "a different rapper like Kanye". Has yet to make a listenable song, thinks that liking Slipknot makes him eclectic.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21All of this I know, but you're gonna have to cite sources on that Interscope knowledge. And those internet fans seem to be coming out in mass to his real world shows. He's getting passes from a lot of people that should know better.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21My "sources" are his lawyer, his manager, and the guy at Interscope who signed him. He got cashed out in a way that almost no one does anymore and like such other hot Interscope hype signees of years past as "Haze", "Brasco", and feminem "Lanz", he will likely never even put a record out, but fortunately for him he can afford to buy all the pink shirts and spandex jeans he needs for a looong time.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Charles Hamilton & Max B Studio Sessionb, 21b, 21object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1b, 21b, 21Wow talk about polar opposites.

• Milk Carton in 5 years

• Max B looks homeless and that place looks like a shithole.b, 21b, 21And dude seems way more interested in that joint than this "project" they're collaborating on.

• Charles' sideways glance at 5:08 is priceless.b, 21b, 21Like "damn is this dude STILL ignoring me?"b, 21b, 21seriously awkward youtube clip.

• 1). b-b-b-but he got 'plex phors, yo!b, 21b, 212). dude needs to stop with the gear. that hat makes him look like a mix of blossom and some son rocking his dads gear as a goofb, 21b, 213). How the F*ck is Soulja Boy the sharpest motherfucker right now on the internet? That On Smash video was great, he killed it. Check his Rosenberg clip as well. Dude is paper'd up for a reason.

• I've never heard any of his music, but I see his name all over the internets so he must be doing something right. Internet buzz is really all that matters these days, like it or not. b, 21b, 21And I doubt he'll just disappear. He seems to have a decent size fanbase. He may not put out a traditional 12-15 track CD, but he's coming along at time when the industry is making (or trying to figure out HOW make a drastic change) and I bet all these dudes that a lot of you guys don't like/understand the appeal of (Kid Cudi, Cool Kids, Soulja Boy, Kids In The Hall, etc) will be at the forefront somehow.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21(Kid Cudi, Cool Kids, Soulja Boy, Kids In The Hall, etc)
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I feel what you're saying but Soulja Boy is on a whoooooole 'nother level than the other folks you named.b, 21b, 21I think rappers probably disappear/vanish more quickly and completely in this environment just because it's so easy for folks to get their music out and trends shift so quickly. Every time you turn around, there's fittyleven new dudes out there with some buzz and people forget who was that guy last year. I personally don't see this Hamilton kid really having the unique persona to become some kind of name brand like Soulja Boy or even the Cool Kids. Dude actually reminds me of MURS a little bit but without the skills, swagger, or originality.b, 21b, 21But then again, I'm an old grumpy asshole who barely follows this schitt these days.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I've never heard any of his music, but I see his name all over the internets so he must be doing something right. Internet buzz is really all that matters these days, like it or not.
    b, 21
    b, 21And I doubt he'll just disappear. He seems to have a decent size fanbase. He may not put out a traditional 12-15 track CD, but he's coming along at time when the industry is making (or trying to figure out HOW make a drastic change) and I bet all these dudes that a lot of you guys don't like/understand the appeal of (Kid Cudi, Cool Kids, Soulja Boy, Kids In The Hall, etc) will be at the forefront somehow.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21 img src="http://thehypefactor.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/lupe.jpg"1

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Internet buzz is really all that matters these days, like it or not.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Of course, by this I mean "all that matters as far as being noticed, being known, etc." The music still has to appeal to enough people, whether you think it's good or not. b, 21b, 21These kids were pretty much raised by the Internet. They know how to use it to promote and market themselves. I applaud them for that.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Internet buzz is really all that matters these days, like it or not.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Of course, by this I mean "all that matters as far as being noticed, being known, etc." The music has to appeal to many people, whether you think it's good or not.
    b, 21
    b, 21These kids were pretty much raised by the Internet. They know how to use it to promote and market themselves. I applaud them for that.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="http://blog.wired.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/11/29/tay.jpg"1

• Are you saying Lupe's a failure? I'm not a fan but I can acknowledge his popularity, 'specially after seeing thousands of people sing along to his songs on the Glow In The Dark tour. b, 21b, 21And what happened to that "Chocolate Rain" dude? He never seemed like the hustlin' type to begin with. There's a difference between riding the wave of popularity and sayin' "f*ck this board, I'ma parasail instead!" you know.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 213). How the F*ck is Soulja Boy the sharpest motherfucker right now on the internet? That On Smash video was great, he killed it. Check his Rosenberg clip as well. Dude is paper'd up for a reason.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21He should quit pretending to be a rapper and just host an Internet show where he clonns rappers.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21(Kid Cudi, Cool Kids, Soulja Boy, Kids In The Hall, etc)
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21I feel what you're saying but Soulja Boy is on a whoooooole 'nother level than the other folks you named.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Seriously--Soulja Boy is actually doing it; some of these other dudes may do it, but most of them probably won't.b, 21b, 21It's probably inaccurate to dismiss them as only having fans on the internet--a more precise formulation would be that they are only of interest to people that follow a certain type of blog, whcih is an inherently limited group. Very different from Soulja Boy's approach to online promotion.

• Nah, Soulja Boy knows the business (and "the game") well enough that he can speak on it with a certain level of authority. Not saying he IS an authority, mind you. (Got a cut you quote-happy foolios off at the pass!)b, 21b, 21That's what I've been saying all along...they're KIDS. And they're not stupid either. I bet there's a lot of people who would've never expected to see Soulja Boy make as much sense as he does in that video. People are too quick to judge. Let 'em be kids for a minute, let 'em make mindless fun mumbly Hip Hop...but watch some of them grow into some powerful forces, maybe even discovering/signing the next "lyrical landlord/my mic is my hand sword" rappers some of you dudes are still praying for!

• Eh... I still think there's a large chasm between Soulja Boy Tell 'Em and, say, Kids In The Hall.b, 21b, 21I mean, I agree to a point with what you're saying but I don't think that simply being young and net-savvy qualifies anyone for potential Factor-status in "the game".b, 21b, 21I mean, nobody would give a shit about Soulja Boy if he hadn't sold a quadzillion ringtones or what have you... minus that I still expect 99% of all rappers - no matter their age, style, character, or promotion angle - to fade into obscurity within a relatively short amount of time. That's just the music industry for you... while many things have changed within it, that one's as old as the industry itself.

• I totally agree about the fade-away aspect. Sad, but true. I just hope they can do so with their heads held high.

• Indeed. With that, I'm gonna watch the MURS "L.A." video again.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21It's because of Soulja Boy that my day-to-day???the way I live, the Sonic the Hedgehog s**t that's dead real to me is considered a joke.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/waaambulance.gif" alt="" 21

video gaming = reality

• Yeah I chortled at that. "That Sega Genesis shit is dead real to me son!"

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    AC/DC continues to have the top selling album in the charts, as a vinyl and cd only release. There are no digital downloads available, and no one can F*ck with their sales figures right now.b, 21b, 21I wouldn't say the game has changed, as much as there is more than one game to play right now. Yes, a lot of these younger artists are playing the game the way they know best, the same way AC/DC is playing their game the way they know best. I am sure they can both learn a little bit from each other.b, 21b, 21Also, respect to Kids In The Hall and some of these other youngins doing their thing. Whether or not they are changing the game isn't that important, because at the end of the day they look like they are having fun. They are doing what a lot of people always wanted to do, make music and get paid for it. I hope they continue to grow as artists, and I hope they get that Kanye money.

So we're comparing the buying habits of baby boomers vs hipsters, teens and pre-teens?

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21So we're comparing the buying habits of baby boomers vs hipsters, teens and pre-teens?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21thread officially derailedb, 21b, 21img src="http://upload.moldova.org/social/2005/oct/train_accident.jpg"1b, 21b, 21I'm just saying there is more than one "game" these days, so in a way I think that means "yes" and "no" to your question.