Blagojevich

CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central

Comments

• yeah. F*ck. dickhead

• hes been a dickhead here since the toll way renovation

• I remember reading that dude has lower approval ratings than Bush. And that was before today.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Shit is insane, that he would be discussing this on the phone with his wife and Chief of Staff. They couldnt get them in a room together??? b, 21b, 21My heart sunk when I saw the headline, thank god it appears he didn't even like Obama. I can't even imagine what a large-scale pre-inauguration scandal would do to this country's psyche right now....

• I wonder how much Obama paid for his Senate seat? b, 21b, 21And which party is Blagojevich from, the CNN piece forgot to say?

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21 According to the statement, Blagojevich is alleged to have discussed obtaining:
    b, 21
    b, 21# a substantial salary for himself at either a non-profit foundation or an organization affiliated with labor unions;
    b, 21
    b, 21# a spot for his wife on paid corporate boards, where he speculated she might garner as much as $150,000 a year;
    b, 21
    b, 21# promises of campaign funds -- including cash up front;
    b, 21
    b, 21# a Cabinet post or ambassadorship for himself.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21this guy is a damn fool

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    From Illinois? I'm shocked!

• This is why I think we really need to expand the role government plays in every aspect of our lives, because they all do such a bang-up job. Schools, Hospitals, Banks, Social Security, we need much more involvment and oversight by Federal and State Government to ensure that elected officials and union bosses continue to have patronage to sell.

• The Wire Chicago - Season 6?

• OMG, i just read on salon that federal documents allege Blagojevich had a master plan to appoint himself to senate and run for Presb, 21b, 21here's the entire complaintb, 21a href="http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/iln/pr/chicago/2008/pr1209_01a.pdf" target="_blank"1http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/iln/pr/chicago/2008/pr1209_01a.pdf/a1b, 21b, 21page 74:b, 21b, 21In addition, in the course of the conversations over the last month, ROD BLAGOJEVICH has spent significant time weighing the option of appointing himself to the open Senate seat, and has expressed a variety of reasons for doing so, including frustration at being "stuck" as governor, a belief that he will be able to obtain greater resources if he is indicted as a sitting Senator as opposed to a sitting governor, and a desire to remake his image in consideration of a possible run for President in 2016[/b], avoid impeachment by the Illinois legislature, make corporate contacts that would be of value to him after leaving public office, facilitate his wife's employment as a lobbyist, and assist in generating speaking fees should he decide to leave public office.b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" /1

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21This is why I think we really need to expand the role government plays in every aspect of our lives, because they all do such a bang-up job. Schools, Hospitals, Banks, Social Security, we need much more involvment and oversight by Federal and State Government to ensure that elected officials and union bosses continue to have patronage to sell.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21Didn't a government agency bust Blagoffojizz? Oh and turning over the keys to the private sector has really put us in a great place in the last 8 years.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21This is why I think we really need to expand the role government plays in every aspect of our lives, because they all do such a bang-up job. Schools, Hospitals, Banks, Social Security, we need much more involvment and oversight by Federal and State Government to ensure that elected officials and union bosses continue to have patronage to sell.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21your big money and corporate masters havent done a much better job.b, 21spout your de-regulating bullshit somewhere where the economy isnt in seizures

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    yeah dudes an idiot... his whole plan with helping people get into College was a load if shit. Basically making it hard for those w/o money from their parents to find funds to go to school. Also, using his own personal jets (with our tax money) to fly from his hometown to Chicago to Springfield. F*ck that. b, 21b, 21I always thought he looked like a Cabbage Patch Kid...b, 21b, 21img src="http://thegrandnarrative.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/cabbage-patch.gif"1

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21 Blagoffojizz?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21your big money and corporate masters havent done a much better job.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Did fine by me.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Did fine by me.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Thats cause you're an asshole

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Did fine by me.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Thats cause you're an asshole
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21you sound asshurt. and poor.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21did you write this post prior to 2007? not only has deregulation sent us into the longest recession in our country's history, but our gop prez and treasury secretary are now giving out a trillion dollars to private enterprises.

• I know this will sound romantic and naive, but I think we all grow up being told and believing that our political leaders have the best intentions and are in their positions of power in order to help the people they serve. Like corrupt governments only exist in the rest of the world, especially in places that aren't necessarily our "friends." b, 21b, 21Then, there comes a point when all that comes crashing down (many years ago for most us, I'm sure) and many of the people in high places power in the USofA are manifestly and repeatedly shown to be greedy, corrupt, hubristic individuals that could really give a shit. b, 21b, 21This guy - what a nightmare!!

• I don't know much about this guy but I know a lot of my friends that grew up in Illinois and have parents working in government funded jobs are feeling good that this douche got arrested.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    This is an interesting situation. I assume that political appointments and filling vacant senate seats typically involve some horse-trading and the exchange of favors, so it will be interesting to see how this pans out and whether a line will be drawn between ordinary political behavior vs. criminal behavior. The Republican pundits are already chattering about this, but one hopes that Obama doesn't get dragged into this. I heard the dude Rahm Emanuel may have actually snitched on Blagojevich.

• i can't stop reading the DOJ complaint. there's a bunch of wiretap quotes in there that are straight out of a corruption movieb, 21b, 21"Unless I get something real good . . . shit, I'll just send myself, you know what I'm saying"b, 21b, 21"I've got this thing and it's f*cking golden, and, uh, uh, I'm just not giving it up for f*ckin' nothing. I can parachute me there"b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoa.gif" alt="" /1

• Someone put up a fake eBay listing for Obama's senate seat after the arrest:b, 21b, 21a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/12/09/following-blagojevich-arr_n_149639.html" target="_blank"1http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/12/09/following-blagojevich-arr_n_149639.html/a1b, 21b, 21All you need to do is bid and then buy a house in Illinois.b, 21b, 21NOTE: The listing has been taken down off eBay.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21one hopes that Obama doesn't get dragged into this
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21He's the only one who should be happy about being mentioned in the taped calls. Dude is reported to have said of Obama "they're not willing to give me anything except appreciation. F*ck him."b, 21b, 21Obama wins again.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    God, I love Illinois. Politics there is entertainment for DAYS

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Obama wins again.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21I hope so, but as evidenced by Saba and the feeding frenzy going on right now on right-wing blogs, this has the potential to drag on for years, kept alive by speculation and innuendo. I'm frustrated that this has the potential to be another Whitewater; ultimately disproven, but hanging around and mentioned enough to cast a cloud of suspicion, especially for people who don't follow this stuff closely, or are inclined to believe anything negative about Obama. Smh...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    This dude sounds off the chain:b, 21http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/10/us/10tribune.html?hp/a1

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Obama wins again.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21I hope so, but as evidenced by Saba and the feeding frenzy going on right now on right-wing blogs, this has the potential to drag on for years, kept alive by speculation and innuendo. I'm frustrated that this has the potential to be another Whitewater; ultimately disproven, but hanging around and mentioned enough to cast a cloud of suspicion, especially for people who don't follow this stuff closely, or are inclined to believe anything negative about Obama. Smh...
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Well, at least with Whitewater, you had direct accusations of involvement. That hasn't been said of Obama thus far. b, 21b, 21I'm not say this won't touch Obama - obviously, it will on some level - but it's too early to know what the extent will be or if it will at all. Dude's been kind of teflon so far.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    blagojevich is an asshole and this arrest came as no surpriseb, 21b, 21whats esp funny is that i bet a dem gov & senator replace him and obama in this state, simply because the republican brand name is such poison from similar scandals -- our last governor, gov ryan, was brought down by the hired truck scandal -- licenses for bribes, where some trucker w/ a license he bought from the state fell asleep at the wheel and killed an entire family -- led directly to an investigation that went all the way up the chain and ended up throwing ryan in jailb, 21b, 21as far as current pols go im a big fan of alexi giannoulias, he plays bball with obama and looks like the dude running my fantasy bball league. keep an eye on himb, 21img src="http://www.chicagobusiness.com/mag/images/articles/28770.gif"1