/font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Cassandra Wilson
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21respect upina sawbucks

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    b/w b, 21b, 21Im feeling their protein breakfast choice...can't believe I said it too.

• sbux ended at 9.12. That's up. b, 21b, 21F*ck them, I saw it coming and dropped my stock at 35.b, 21b, 21starbucks all play the same thing.b, 21b, 21They get these special coded cds that only work for a certain period. When they expire, toss them in the can.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I walked into the local Burger King once and they were playing Masters at Works "A tribute to Fela". Weird?

• It's not weird. It's the new muzack

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21they actually sell some decent music in Starbucks too.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I was stoked to have found this Stax Records compilation CD for sale on their counter one afternoon.b, 21b, 21And i think they have one for James Brown also.

• A cafe near my place played Slum Village - Fantastic Vol.2 start to finish when i was in there once. But that place is always playing great music, so not really a surprise.

• I worked at a Santa Cruz Cafe in '93 and i was a music fascist. The carousel had 93 till infinity, low end theory, who's the doobiest, heavy rhyme experience, Jazzmatazz, and James Brown. That is till the Moroccan owner came in. then it was Gypsy Kings all day.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21More precisely, I think you are the posteur most likely to be on the Starbucks payroll as a musical lifestyle consultant
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Oh, my friend, if only:
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/balla-22.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21those are some bogus bullshit jobs.........that I would kill to have.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I walked into the local Burger King once and they were playing Masters at Works "A tribute to Fela". Weird?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21WHOA

Starbucks bought Hear Music in in the early 00s. I remember Hear Music being the little shop in 3rd St. Promenade in Santa Monica that had eclectic taste and expensive import CDs, maybe influenced by KCRW? That might explain the quality/eclecticism. b, 21b, 21Anyhow, here's a little more insight as to how "good music" ended up at Sbux:b, 21b, 21a href="http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_47/b3909094_mz017.htm" target="_blank"1http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_47/b3909094_mz017.htm/a1b, 21b, 21/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Now the Seattle company is making a major push to add new ways of listening -- and buying -- music for its 35 million weekly customers. Collaborating with record labels is just one element of that strategy. In October, Hear Music, an alternative record retailer that Starbucks bought five years ago for $8 million, launched a satellite radio station that plays the kind of adult-oriented jazz, blues, and alternative rock that Starbucks has long featured in its stores. The company is also installing kiosks, called Media Bars, in its shops that let customers listen to digital music, create their own compilations, and purchase them while waiting for their grande double latte.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21I guess the Media Bars never took off, but I can see how the CD impulse buy would fit into the 30-40 something yuppyfied non dairy double espresso latte lifestyle. b, 21b, 21I have nothing against Sbux tho, their regular coffee is what I usually get.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Starbucks bought Hear Music in in the early 00s. I remember Hear Music being the little shop in 3rd St. Promenade in Santa Monica that had eclectic taste and expensive import CDs, maybe influenced by KCRW? That might explain the quality/eclecticism.
    b, 21
    b, 21Anyhow, here's a little more insight as to how "good music" ended up at Sbux:
    b, 21
    b, 21
    /a1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Now the Seattle company is making a major push to add new ways of listening -- and buying -- music for its 35 million weekly customers. Collaborating with record labels is just one element of that strategy. In October, Hear Music, an alternative record retailer that Starbucks bought five years ago for $8 million, launched a satellite radio station that plays the kind of adult-oriented jazz, blues, and alternative rock that Starbucks has long featured in its stores. The company is also installing kiosks, called Media Bars, in its shops that let customers listen to digital music, create their own compilations, and purchase them while waiting for their grande double latte.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21I guess the Media Bars never took off, but I can see how the CD impulse buy would fit into the 30-40 something yuppyfied non dairy double espresso latte lifestyle.
    b, 21
    b, 21I have nothing against Sbux tho, their regular coffee is what I usually get.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Yea, I peeped it when it opened, and one thing I do remember about the CD selection was good stuff but "expensive". All that media bar shit is dumb though. I don't see how someone would want to pay to do those same things in a store when they could just as easily make mixes in the comforts of their own home.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Starbucks coffee is terrible. It really, really is. b, 21b, 21At one point, Starbucks at least had a pretense of cafe culture; I mean, their baristas, however corporately trained, at least knew how to work an espresso machine. Now they literally press a button and voila! WEAK.b, 21b, 21I heard that's one reason they bought the company that makes the Clover; the restore their image as being coffee-forward. We'll see. I'm glad they've been forced to close stores down; the sheer ubiquity of the chain was suffocating.

• there's a Clover, Starbucks thread somewhere in the archives...

• Their regular coffee is fine. I'm sure there are places that make a much better cup but on the continuum it's decent, imho. I can't speak to all the fancy shit that people order there though, I always just get a regular.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Their regular coffee is fine. I'm sure there are places that make a much better cup but on the continuum it's decent, imho. I can't speak to all the fancy shit that people order there though, I always just get a regular.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21amen