DJ AM before his surgery..........

2»

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts

So keep your self righteousness to a minimum, yeah?

wow, messages get twisted a whole lot in these threads...

Day,

I am not looking down at folks I am saying that gastric bypass (or Atkins for that matter) is not the key to a healthier life. It may be a quick fix but if you don't change your diet/ exercise habits too your doing nothing but allowing yourself to continue being just as unhealthy and fooling yourself with the physical appearence of a skinny man.

I got both love and respect for my fat folks and as someone who has had issues with weight on the opposite end of the spectrum I can understand how a metabloism can mess you over from being at the weight you wanna be at.

I find it interesting you felt I was referring to you, but it was really to everyone on a whole who condemn people with weight problems like they're all lazy people who can't control themselves.

• spaceghostspaceghost 605 Posts
    proof is in the diet[/b] pudding

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    for people who have never had to deal with that kind of shit to be sitting here pointing fingers is totally stupid.

Exactly. I used to be the skinniest dude I knew. Probably as skinny as Guzzo. I was about 130 four years ago. Now I'm 170. I was always the guy saying exactly what Guzzo is saying, but now that I'm actually trying to shed a few pounds I can see why people have trouble. Just as Bsides said, having and maintaining the energy level to excersise on a regular basis is a lot harder with a slower metabolism. But people like to judge and people like to condemn, so I don't really expect some of you to understand that.

OK, but you went from 130 to 170. Say you put on another 40 pounds and get up to 210--that's still not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about people hitting 400 pounds. How do people let it get to that point? There's overweight, but then there's massively overweight, aka morbid obesity. There's a lot of difference between the two. You're even a good example of that: You've hit 170 and are now taking steps to curtail further gain and are even trying to shed some pounds. That's taking responsibility, which is more or less the opposite of letting your weight get absolutely outrageous, and then stapling your stomach to fix it.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    for people who have never had to deal with that kind of shit to be sitting here pointing fingers is totally stupid.

Exactly. I used to be the skinniest dude I knew. Probably as skinny as Guzzo. I was about 130 four years ago. Now I'm 170. I was always the guy saying exactly what Guzzo is saying, but now that I'm actually trying to shed a few pounds I can see why people have trouble. Just as Bsides said, having and maintaining the energy level to excersise on a regular basis is a lot harder with a slower metabolism. But people like to judge and people like to condemn, so I don't really expect some of you to understand that.

OK, but you went from 130 to 170. Say you put on another 40 pounds and get up to 210--that's still not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about people hitting 400 pounds. How do people let it get to that point? There's overweight, but then there's massively overweight, aka morbid obesity. There's a lot of difference between the two. You're even a good example of that: You've hit 170 and are now taking steps to curtail further gain and are even trying to shed some pounds. That's taking responsibility, which is more or less the opposite of letting your weight get absolutely outrageous, and then stapling your stomach to fix it.

That wasn't really my point. I was saying that it was easy for me to say what people should or shouldn't do when I had no experience of my own to base it on. Now that I've gotten a little taste I'm not so quick to preach.

Adam, I won't say you're wrong, but I also don't think that a lot of people with weight problems want someone who's never been over 120 telling them what to do about it.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Some people have genetic disorders, get morbidly obese, and then have to get their stomach stapled due to the many health hazards being morbidly obese comes with.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Some people have genetic disorders, get morbidly obese

"that ni**a weigh 400 pounds, how he gon' catch me son?"