These Neil Young Archives CD/DVD combos:

luckluck 4,077 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
Is it worth it to get the CD/DVD versions over the plain-old-CDs even though there is no actual concert footage on the DVDs? Is the high-falutin' audio really faluting enough?b, 21b, 21Please help me. Please help me.

Comments

• Actually your decision should come down to Bluray vs DVD. They aren't coming out on CD, at least not as far as anyone knows. Supposedly down the road they will release vinyl and download versions. But the Neil community is having conniptions at having to spring for a Bluray player to get the full experience (as previewed a href="" target="_blank"1here/a1; looks sick to say the least). I will be buying the Blurays.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    The volume of these archives is so staggering, I can't even go there.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21The volume of these archives is so staggering, I can't even go there.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Well, I was actually only speaking about the pre-existing 3 CD/DVD volumes (Fillmore/Massey Hall/Sugar Mountain), as opposed to the entire set.b, 21b, 21Anyone up on these?

• ennuiennui 111 Posts
    I own and frequently watch/listen to the Massey Hall one. It has most of the show in ethereal, grainy 16 mil footage. For the parts that were damaged or lost they edit in Neil's home movies from the era, a la footage from the ranch during 'old man' and carrie snodgrass waving from a car during 'a man needs a maid.' They also synced up the audio with the stellar recording of the show that comprises the CD, which you can see being recorded on a reel-to-reel right behind Neil the entire time. I can't speak on the other two, though I really want to hear the new one that came out on tuesday.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21The volume of these archives is so staggering, I can't even go there.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Are the Mynah Birds recordings on this?

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I own and frequently watch/listen to the Massey Hall one. It has most of the show in ethereal, grainy 16 mil footage. For the parts that were damaged or lost they edit in Neil's home movies from the era, a la footage from the ranch during 'old man' and carrie snodgrass waving from a car during 'a man needs a maid.' They also synced up the audio with the stellar recording of the show that comprises the CD, which you can see being recorded on a reel-to-reel right behind Neil the entire time. I can't speak on the other two, though I really want to hear the new one that came out on tuesday.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21That Massey hall cd/dvd combo is fantastic, made more-so with his interraction with the crowd.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Are the Mynah Birds recordings on this?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21No one knows yet, but rumors lean towards no. I hope there are.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    This is the one I was talking about. Neil Young Archives, Vol. 1: 1963-1972 (10 Disc Blu-Ray), a href="http://www.amazon.com/Neil-Young-Archives-1963-Blue-Ray/dp/B001B8PV4U/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1225381275&sr=8-2" target="_blank"1Pre-order for the low, low price of $323.99/a1.b, 21b, 21I am going to be an old man before I wrap my head around Neil's entire discography. b, 21b, 21I got the single-album Massey Hall last year and am still enjoying it.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Is it worth it to get the CD/DVD versions over the plain-old-CDs even though there is no actual concert footage on the DVDs? Is the high-falutin' audio really faluting [i]enough
    /i1?
    b, 21
    b, 21Please help me. Please help me.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Yes, as NY has always been someone who has wanted fans to hear his music in HQ form. He supports vinyl and absolutely hates CD's, which is why he has allowed some of his albums to be released as advanced resolution DVD-A's. If anything, you get a chance to hear these live shows as he intended. I have the first two live shows in this archives series and not the one that came out on Tuesday, but I plan on getting it.b, 21b, 21Another album of his that is worth getting as a DVD-A is On The Beach[/b]. I wish he would have done After The Gold Rush[/b] or Time Fades Away[/b], but I'll deal with some of the custom made vinyl transfers that are available online in mysterious places.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21No one knows yet, but rumors lean towards no. I hope there are.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21If you look at the trailer, there is a scene where a "file cabinet" opens up and there are date "tabs" to select. If you pause it at the point where the "cabinet" comes to a brief halt, you can read some of the tabs. The first divider is "1963," and there's no discernable "Mynah Birds" tab under "1965." But I obviously have no idea. Even though there is no listing of the Mynahs in his web site's discographical section (even to say that no recordings were issued), Young himself admitted the tapes' existance a few years back, so it's not a pipe dream.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21No one knows yet, but rumors lean towards no. I hope there are.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21If you look at the trailer, there is a scene where a "file cabinet" opens up and there are date "tabs" to select.
    b1If you pause it at the point where the "cabinet" comes to a brief halt, you can read some of the tabs. The first divider is "1963," and there's no discernable "Mynah Birds" tab under "1965." [/b]But I obviously have no idea. Even though there is no listing of the Mynahs in his web site's discographical section (even to say that no recordings were issued), Young himself admitted the tapes' existance a few years back, so it's not a pipe dream.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I love this place.

• i got the new sugar mountain disc on tusday, and it's great. i haven't checked the dvd-quality sound yet, but i have other issues with the archives, which is namely the presentation.b, 21b, 21there are hardly any pictures/clippings/etc, and the ones that they can fit in there are all overlapping, so you can't read the articles/hand written lyrics/fliers. for 20 bucks, a little bit better presentation of "archival materials" might've be a good look.b, 21b, 21ultimately, the shows themselves are great, and i can't wait to see what else comes out of his vaults.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21i got the new sugar mountain disc on tusday, and it's great. i haven't checked the dvd-quality sound yet, but i have other issues with the archives, which is namely the presentation.
    b, 21
    b, 21there are hardly any pictures/clippings/etc, and the ones that they can fit in there are all overlapping, so you can't read the articles/hand written lyrics/fliers. for 20 bucks, a little bit better presentation of "archival materials" might've be a good look.
    b, 21
    b, 21ultimately, the shows themselves are great, and i can't wait to see what else comes out of his vaults.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21The emphasis on these discs are primarily audio, since it's essentially a DVD-A disc as disc 2. The heavy duty stuff with visuals, documents, scans, etc will be in the main Archives/b1 box set. These live discs represent his "Archives" but are slightly different from what he'll be offering in the box set, so any extras you got on these live discs are just that, extras, not the meat of the matter.

• Yes, the visual materials will be presented in a multimedia format. There will even be a "play along" feature where you play a track and see lyrics, photos from the session, reviews, notes, etc.