alvin batiste (RR)

inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
never saw or heard of this record before, fetched quite a bit some days ago.b, 21is this in demand in jazz circles? a good friend with a twenty years+ digging experience never saw it before as well; we`re both wondering if we ve been sleepin on a grat record. b, 21someone got any infos/soundclips? b, 21a href="http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=180307455227" target="_blank"1http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=180307455227/a1

Comments

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    damn... for that price it better be good...but it looks like it would have some killer shit...b, 21b, 21what im wondering is whether Mr Batiste was A. a student there when they did this record B. teaching at the end of his playing career C. doing this project on the side out of community pride and shit....b, 21b, 21Hmmmand Im thinking most of those students on the record woulda ended up playing on some decent records....anyone recognise any names... or more improteantly got a mp3 of the record to upload....

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21As someone who grew up in complete awe of the Southern University Band...whether that be at halftime at the Superdome or in a Mardi Gras parade...I really can't imagine there being a better set-up for a Southern album than 1973 afro-jazz overseen by Alvin Batiste. How I would love to hear that record!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21never saw or heard of this record before, fetched quite a bit some days ago. is this in demand in jazz circles? a good friend with a twenty years+ digging experience never saw it before as well; we`re both wondering if we ve been sleepin on a grat record.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21How could you have been sleeping on a record if you never saw or heard of it?

• You forgot....b, 21b, 21b/wb, 21b, 21img src="http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/5160/photo14qv4.jpg"1

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21what im wondering is whether Mr Batiste was A. a student there when they did this record B. teaching at the end of his playing career C. doing this project on the side out of community pride and shit....
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21He would have been mid-career in 1973? Now before you all warm up your dialing finger, the man unfortunately passed away a year or so ago. Legendary music arranger, educator, and director.

• I think there was a thread about this very record a while back.

• I found a copy of this at Amoeba earlier this year for like $6. Really solid album. I never would have expected it to go for that much though.

• Afros+Black and White Cover+"University Jazz Ensemble"+'65-'75=$$$

• You mean $$$$

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21You mean $$$$
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Only if it's germany.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21You mean $$$$
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Only if it's germany.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21i doubt the buyer is german. Private US Jazz stuff is seldomly seen on eBay Germany, but prices normally dont explode like with this record. b, 21Sometimes you can even score some decent records for little $. b, 21But 2100 dollars is INSANE. cant imagine that east of underground would go for that much on ebay germany.