Don Cherry - Organic Music Society

GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
I've been wondering why there is a Don Cherry - Organic Music Society 2LP with a white label. All the copies that I could find on popsike have a purple label. Is the one with the white one a reissue? It has the same cover. It' on Caprice. Same number and everything. It has the inlay. The label looks the same. It's just not purple, but white.

Comments

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    darn! this thread will be gone from page 1 within 30 minutes. soulstrut '08!

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I don't have an answer to your question; but I love this album.b, 21b, 21My copy is purple.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I don't have an answer to your question; but I
    love/s1 need[/b] this album. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1

• promo copy?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Caprice LPs from the 70s seem to have a lot of different label colours.b, 21I've had/seen red/green/white/purple/blue label Caprices.b, 21I don't even think it has anything to do with the year of release.b, 21b, 21Wouldn't mind bagging that Don Cherry.

• I've had two copies: b, 21purple label: RIKS LP 44b, 21white label: CAP 2001 (different font, very similar design) b, 21b, 21I kept the white label simply because it was cleaner. I remember concluding that the white label CAP 2001 press was a close second press. But I now forget a few years later why I thought that. It looks a little newer than the purple label version when I look at it now. b, 21b, 21I've also seen different color labels. I'm guessing they pressed copies every year or two. I do know that it was the official label of Sweden.

• Okay now I remember why I thought that the 2001 was a second pressing. I have a copy of eje thelin that has a RIKS LP 91 catalog # with a CAP 1091 sticker on it, so I assumed that the CAP XXXX series was later. Maybe mid-70s.

• there's more info on the various pressings. I know Japan has some onesb, 21b, 21b, 21 a href="" target="_blank"1pressing info/a1

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I just found out Don Cherry played in one of LaMonte Young's early jazz ensembles.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21there's more info on the various pressings. I know Japan has some ones
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    a href="" target="_blank"1pressing info
    /a1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21very funny!!!b, 21go make yourself a sandwich or sumthin'!!!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    thanks everyone. i will buy the record then, i guess. i assume the price would be okay for a non-reissue.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    /a1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21very funny!!!
    b, 21go make yourself a sandwich or sumthin'!!!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Grope:b, 21b, 21got ya! Naw seriously I think Don Cherry is mad slept-on. If only he "crossed over" like cats like Norman connors, Donald, Herbie etc he might of been a bigger deal. Some jazz dudes where flexible at that timeb, 21b, 21My dudes in Japan wrote a crazy family tree/discography/essay of jazz cats going from THAT REAL SCHITT to what at the time is consider "selling out" which is funny because that TODAY is consider THAT REALNESSb, 21b, 21b, 21 a href="http://www.borderradioshow.com/images/gay/gay_rape_pics.jpg" target="_blank"1Don Cherry/a1

• DON CHERRY + TERRY RILEY = SCANDINAVIAN RADIO SESSIONS + KOLN CONCERT = ESSENTIAL

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    /a1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21very funny!!!
    b, 21go make yourself a sandwich or sumthin'!!!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Grope:
    b, 21
    b, 21got ya! Naw seriously I think Don Cherry is mad slept-on. If only he "crossed over" like cats like Norman connors, Donald, Herbie etc he might of been a bigger deal. Some jazz dudes where flexible at that time
    b, 21
    b, 21My dudes in Japan wrote a crazy family tree/discography/essay of jazz cats going from THAT REAL SCHITT to what at the time is consider "selling out" which is funny because that TODAY is consider THAT REALNESS
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    /a1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21stop it already!!! i'm not very smart and will click on any link you post. i'm weak!

• very nice record

• Cherry's US albums really lack a certain fluidity that "organic music society" has. I keep the JCOA material, but it's really stiff in comparison. I like the sound of throwing some swedish hippies in the mix, and the terry riley connection puts it over the top. Essential album for anybody interested in "spiritual jazz" sounds.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I do know that it was the official label of Sweden.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21What do you mean?b, 21b, 21I have some nice trades to offer for anyone who has a spare copy...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21What do you mean?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Caprice Records was (is?) funded by the Swedish government thru the foundation Rikskoncerter (The Swedish National Concert Agency).b, 21b, 21i1The regulations governing the agency state that its purpose is "to contribute to Swedish musical life by acting in an advisory capacity concerning concert promotion and similar musical performances, by arranging concerts as a supplement to existing musical activities, and by supporting other initiatives for the development of Swedish music. The activities of the agency are subject to the relevant guidelines issued in pursuance of the cultural policy adopted by the Swedish state." In addition, the agency shall "further new trends in Swedish music, disseminate information, promote contacts with musical life abroad and support development initiatives in the school sector." Another of its functions is to cooperate and coordinate activities with national and local authorities, with institutions, organizations and representative bodies for music and the other arts, and with adult education associations./i1 a href="http://dvm.nu/hierarchy/periodical/ns/1983/03/?show=data/periodical/ns/1983/ns1983_3XML/periodical-ns1983_3_07.tkl&type=periodical" target="_blank"1.../a1 b, 21b, 21"Official label" is perhaps stretching it a little. Not quite the same setup as former east block monopoly record companies like Melodiya in the U.S.S.R. or Muza in Poland.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21What do you mean?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Caprice Records was (is?) funded by the Swedish government thru the foundation Rikskoncerter (The Swedish National Concert Agency).
    b, 21
    b, 21
    i1The regulations governing the agency state that its purpose is "to contribute to Swedish musical life by acting in an advisory capacity concerning concert promotion and similar musical performances, by arranging concerts as a supplement to existing musical activities, and by supporting other initiatives for the development of Swedish music. The activities of the agency are subject to the relevant guidelines issued in pursuance of the cultural policy adopted by the Swedish state." In addition, the agency shall "further new trends in Swedish music, disseminate information, promote contacts with musical life abroad and support development initiatives in the school sector." Another of its functions is to cooperate and coordinate activities with national and local authorities, with institutions, organizations and representative bodies for music and the other arts, and with adult education associations.
    /i1
    /a1
    b, 21
    b, 21"Official label" is perhaps stretching it a little. Not quite the same setup as former east block monopoly record companies like Melodiya in the U.S.S.R. or Muza in Poland.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21What he said img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" 21

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    my favourite don cherry lp as well. b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/green30sv.gif" alt="" 21

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21my favourite don cherry lp as well.
    b, 21
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/green30sv.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21i found it in stuttgart! HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21i found it in stuttgart! HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21stuttgart= home of deep jazz bizness b, 21b, 21you still around homie?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21stuttgart= home of deep jazz bizness
    b, 21
    b, 21you still around homie?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21no, i'm back home. look at the second hand eBay auctions and melt away!

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21stuttgart= home of deep jazz bizness
    b, 21
    b, 21you still around homie?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21no, i'm back home. look at the second hand eBay auctions and melt away!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21yes i saw it. thought about getting that erotica suite, but i bet it ll go for 200+ euros.