Aaron Neville live- what to expect

UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
Seeing Aaron in Massachusetts Friday night with the fam. Anyone seen him in the last couple years? Its billed as a Christmas show, and though I'm not expecting him to bust out Hercules, it would be nice if he got a little funky. I'm hoping for a little 'Wrong Number' (one of my girls favorites), am I dreaming?

Comments

• I've never seen Aaron live solo (although I did once see the Neville Brothers)...but he's done these Yuletide shows before, I think...going by ads I've seen in the past, I think "Xmas show" means just that...nothing but holiday songs from front to back.b, 21b, 21I couldn't tell you if he's getting soulful or whether he's keeping it traditional, however...

• I saw him a couple of years ago, and he was decent live.

• you have to expect a facial mole that is hypnotizing, you wont be able to look at anything else...you will be transfixed.

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21you have to expect a facial mole that is hypnotizing, you wont be able to look at anything else...you will be transfixed.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21this is true.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    If the mole doesn't get ya then the dagger face tattoo will.b, 21b, 21Expecct more melissma than a Mariah Carey Impersonators Convention.b, 21 img src="http://www.skipbolenstudio.com/SkipBolenPhotoGallery/foto/AaronNeville_2005.05.01_008bw.jpg"1

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    It always seems a wild juxtaposition that someone with a hackjob facial tatt has such a delicate way of singing up high ala "Bird On A Wire". But yeah, that mole, jesus. I taught a kid a couple of years ago who had the exact same thing, he even kinda looked like Aaron neville. I had to restrain myself from calling him Aaron jr.* b, 21b, 21* a name whichcould be given to Aaron's own facial growth, it is that captivating!!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    it just ocurred to me that his face tattoo is a cross, a weird looking cross at that.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21If the mole doesn't get ya then the dagger face tattoo will.
    b, 21
    b, 21Expecct more melissma than a Mariah Carey Impersonators Convention.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21And don't forget that weird "ah-ah-ah" vibrato thing he does...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I saw the Neville Bros a bunch of times in the 80s. Very good shows. Aaron's beautiful falsetto and vibrato were balanced by; Art's gruffer voice, Meter's instrumentals, Cyrill's sax and Charles reggae influence. Their harmonizes are wonderful. They had a great guitar player, I think Brian Green was his name. b, 21b, 21Aaron xmas songs is going to be 90 minutes of excruciating slow religious and seasonal songs with never ending vibrato laden falsetto. b, 21b, 21If you are lucky he will do Ava Maria, and maybe throw in Tell It Like It Is just for old times sake. b, 21b, 21I think he has kind of become a parody of himself, accentuating what makes his vocals unique, not understanding those signature tricks are best when limited.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I think "Xmas show" means just that...nothing but holiday songs from front to back.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21Thankfully this didn't happen. Dude opened up with a soul standards medley (Stand By Me, Cupid, Chain Gang, plus maybe 6 more), then played 2 funky christmas songs (Please Come Home For Christmas and something else). After that he played a great extended cover of 'Ain't No Sunshine', almost 10 minutes long. Later on he did 'Use Me' 'Crazy Love' 'Everybody Plays The Fool' 'Tell It Like It Is' and others, and then closed out the show with the Mickey Mouse Show closing theme.b, 21b, 21Besides another song or two, the only Christmas stuff was a quick medley of traditional Christmas songs (Silent Night, etc) that was tasteful and concise. Dude sounded great too, with a real crack 4 piece with good keys and drums, plus Cyrille on sax playing instrumental interludes every 4 songs or so. Dudes were laughing, joking with the crowd, pretty much killing it, played a solid hour and a half to multiple ovations. Great show.b, 21b, 21Thanks to everyone who gave their predictions here, I was far enough back that I was spared the hypnotic power of the mole. Big thanks to Pickwick for the above comment, I relayed the prediction, and it really lowered me and my family's expectations. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" 21

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Of course Aaron Neville is still the shit live. I've seen him within the past couple of years and he moved me as usual. Of course his singing is like mother's milk to me. And it was Charles Neville on the sax...Cyril plays drums and doesn't typically perform in Aaron's backing band. Anyway, glad you liked the show.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,898 Posts
    I can't help thinking of Peter Griffin and the "Aaron Neville" bullhorn.b, 21b, 21And the mole.b, 21b, 21Is that crooked cross a recent tatt? 'Cos I don't remember him having it before. Face tatts close a lot of social doors. I have a friend who's a tattooist, he's got a full Maori beard and sh1t, and a thai prayer tattooed in a spiral over his scalp.b, 21b, 21He could only be a tattooist looking like he does.b, 21b, 21Or a Maori Hell's Angel.