Who's cookin tomorrow?

djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
I'm doing the cooking this year since we're doing Thanksgiving at my house, so to mark the occasion I picked this badboy up.b, 21b, 21img src="http://www.cooking.com/images/products/shprodde/403913.jpg"1b, 21b, 21I'll also be trying out brining for the first time this year. Should be yummy.b, 21b, 21other than that I'm makingb, 21b, 21Green Chile garlic mashed potatoesb, 21Orange cranberry sauceb, 21Cornbread dressingb, 21Giblet gravyb, 21Pumpkin cream cheese pie with pecan crustb, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21What are you guys making? I love to hear different recipes and shit.

Comments

• corn plinic

• My girl a href="http://www.mariecallenders.com/" target="_blank"1Marie is making the pies. All I gotta do is pick them up and I'm done with my part!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    turkey and kimchi.

• I'm in charge of Turkey this year... Stepping down from my usual role in the cooking to sleep in, and lay around.

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21 I'll also be trying out brining for the first time this year.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21How'd you do it, and for how long?b, 21b, 21We're brining this year for the first time too. My wife wants to do it pavo-ch??n style though. Two days in salt, wash it off, and then rubbing it with mojo isle??o, leave it overnight for tomorrow. Don't know if its going to work or be too salty, nervous about it.b, 21b, 21Sides I'm making mashed potatoes with sour cream, sauteed asparagus, some sort of bread, cranberry sauce, and I'm trying to get inspired for another side dish.b, 21b, 21Starting off with wine, cheese, olives, and cured meats.b, 21b, 21Apple and pecan pies, and pumpkin cheescake for dessert.b, 21b, 21And I have an annual tradition of drinking black and tans. Thinking of getting a nice bottle of single malt too.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21 I'll also be trying out brining for the first time this year.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21How'd you do it, and for how long?
    b, 21
    b, 21We're brining this year for the first time too. My wife wants to do it pavo-ch??n style though. Two days in salt, wash it off, and then rubbing it with mojo isle??o, leave it overnight for tomorrow. Don't know if its going to work or be too salty, nervous about it.
    b, 21
    b, 21Sides I'm making mashed potatoes with sour cream, sauteed asparagus, some sort of bread, cranberry sauce, and I'm trying to get inspired for another side dish.
    b, 21
    b, 21Starting off with wine, cheese, olives, and cured meats.
    b, 21
    b, 21Apple and pecan pies, and pumpkin cheescake for dessert.
    b, 21
    b, 21And I have an annual tradition of drinking black and tans. Thinking of getting a nice bottle of single malt too.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Here's the recipe I'm using...b, 21b, 21We offer two brine formulas: one for a 4- to 6-hour brine and another for a 12- to 14-hour brine. The amount of salt used in each brine does not change with turkey size. If you???re roasting a kosher or self-basting turkey, do not brine it; it already contains a good amount of sodium. Rotating the bird from a breast-side down position to a breast-side up position midway through cooking helps to produce evenly cooked dark and white meat. If you???re roasting a large (18- to 22-pound) bird and are reluctant to rotate it, skip the step of lining the V-rack with foil and roast the bird breast-side up for the full time. If making gravy, scatter 1 cup each of coarsely chopped onion, celery, and carrot as well as several fresh thyme sprigs in the roasting pan at the outset; add 1 cup water to keep the vegetables from burning.b, 21Ingredientsb, 21 Table saltb, 211 turkey (12 to 22 pounds gross weight), rinsed thoroughly, giblets and neck reserved for gravy, if makingb, 214 tablespoons unsalted butter , meltedb, 21Instructionsb, 21b, 21 1.b, 21b, 21 1. Dissolve 1 cup salt per gallon cold water for 4- to 6-hour brine or 1/2 cup salt per gallon cold water for 12- to 14-hour brine in large stockpot or clean bucket. Two gallons of water will be sufficient for most birds; larger birds may require three gallons. Add turkey and refrigerate for predetermined amount of time.b, 21 2.b, 21b, 21 2. Before removing turkey from brine, adjust oven rack to lowest position; heat oven to 400 degrees for 12- to 18-pound bird or 425 degrees for 18- to 22-pound bird. Line large V-rack with heavy-duty foil and use paring knife or skewer to poke 20 to 30 holes in foil; set V-rack in large roasting pan.b, 21 3.b, 21b, 21 3. Remove turkey from brine and rinse well under cool running water. Pat dry inside and out with paper towels. Tuck tips of drumsticks into skin at tail to secure, and tuck wing tips behind back. Brush turkey breast with 2 tablespoons butter. Set turkey breast-side down on prepared V-rack; brush back with remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Roast 45 minutes for 12- to 18-pound bird or 1 hour for 18- to 22-pound bird.b, 21 4.b, 21b, 21 4. Remove roasting pan with turkey from oven (close oven door to retain oven heat); reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees if roasting 18- to 22-pound bird. Using clean potholders or kitchen towels, rotate turkey breast-side up; continue to roast until thickest part of breast registers 165 degrees and thickest part of thigh registers 170 to 175 degrees on instant-read thermometer, 50 to 60 minutes longer for 12- to 15-pound bird, about 1 1/4 hours for 15- to 18-pound bird, or about 2 hours longer for 18- to 22-pound bird.b, 21b, 21 Transfer turkey to carving board; let rest 30 minutes (or up to 40 minutes for 18- to 22-pound bird). Carve and serve.

I bought a brand new Tamale pot to brine in that way I can make Tamales for Xmas...woohoo

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    honey baked hamb, 21green beans with bacon and onionsb, 21honey glazed carrotsb, 21sweet potatoesb, 21mashed potatoesb, 21jalapeno and cranberry cornbreadb, 21cranberry chutneyb, 21pumpkin piesb, 21b, 21with a newborn there is no time for me to do the big turkey meal i usually do for family. all of this will be premade today and just warmed up in the oven tomorrow. couldnt be an easier meal for me to make...b, 21b, 21have a happy turkey day everyone!

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Here's the recipe I'm using...
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Ah, ok, I'm doing a dry brine. Different beast altogether.

• so farb, 21whole roasted turkey b, 21brussels sprouts with caw caw creek cured hamb, 21spaghetti squash with sage butter and walnutsb, 21roasted carola potatoesb, 21country style pork and duck terrineb, 21pumpkin pieb, 21cranberry tartb, 21b, 21maybe some homemade dinner rolls or popoversb, 21not sure about stuffing yet, might skip itb, 21b, 21for those interested in brining, it's a good idea to add sugar to your brine (usually around 1/4 - 1/3 as much salt as you put in. The salt in your brine denatures the proteins in the meat, essentially unfolding them and creating space for them to take in more water than they could previously hold. But the sugar is important in this process because it allows for osmosis to occur. Otherwise the salt is just pulling moisture out of your turkey without putting any back in.b, 21b, 21For the 2 day salt cure, I've never tried anything like that with a turkey, but in my professional opinion it's probably going to be salty. I think for a 20 lb bird, 18-24 hours is plenty of time.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Word to the bird, I've got 17.83 pounds of free range goodness waiting in the fridge. Gonna roast it straight up, although brining does help the bird turn out tasty if you have the time and space for it. I like things simple so our menu is:b, 21b, 21Turkey w/ gravyb, 21Mashed Potatoesb, 21Stuffing. My family calls it dressing???but I'm brainwashed by Stove Top's marketing so I stick with the term stuffing. Our family recipe is Wheat Bread, browned ground pork, a lot of celery, some onion, a bit of green onion, fresh marjoram and rosemary.b, 21String Beans with Sauteed cherry tomatoesb, 21Saladb, 21b, 21And because I married a southern lady, there will be 3 kinds of pie: Apple, Pecan and Pumpkin Chiffon.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21so far
    b, 21whole roasted turkey
    b, 21brussels sprouts with caw caw creek cured ham
    b, 21spaghetti squash with sage butter and walnuts
    b, 21roasted carola potatoes
    b, 21country style pork and duck terrine
    b, 21pumpkin pie
    b, 21cranberry tart
    b, 21
    b, 21maybe some homemade dinner rolls or popovers
    b, 21not sure about stuffing yet, might skip it
    b, 21
    b, 21for those interested in brining, it's a good idea to add sugar to your brine (usually around 1/4 - 1/3 as much salt as you put in. The salt in your brine denatures the proteins in the meat, essentially unfolding them and creating space for them to take in more water than they could previously hold. But the sugar is important in this process because it allows for osmosis to occur. Otherwise the salt is just pulling moisture out of your turkey without putting any back in.
    b, 21
    b, 21For the 2 day salt cure, I've never tried anything like that with a turkey, but in my professional opinion it's probably going to be salty. I think for a 20 lb bird, 18-24 hours is plenty of time.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21actually they say not to use sugar in a turkey brine because of the length of time you have to roast due to the size. Apparently the sugar encourages browning which is bad when you have to roast for 4 hours.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    can you post something about records instead? b, 21b, 21we need a cooking and ironing board for these pussies!!! 44% less fat? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAAHAAA! b, 21b, 21try some real cheese, real bread and real bacon, SON!!! cheddar flavor?! disgusting!!!

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21can you post something about records instead?
    b, 21
    b, 21we need a cooking and ironing board for these pussies!!! 44% less fat? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAAHAAA!
    b, 21
    b, 21try some real cheese, real bread and real bacon, SON!!! cheddar flavor?! disgusting!!!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21gee, i wonder why no one wants to help you with your don cherry inquiry

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21green beans with bacon and onions
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Trip out! My sister makes this every year!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21can you post something about records instead?
    b, 21
    b, 21we need a cooking and ironing board for these pussies!!! 44% less fat? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAAHAAA!
    b, 21
    b, 21try some real cheese, real bread and real bacon, SON!!! cheddar flavor?! disgusting!!!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21gee, i wonder why no one wants to help you with your don cherry inquiry
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21tell us something about your sneakers! b, 21b, 21it's cute that you say "wants" to help.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21green beans with bacon and onions
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Trip out! My sister makes this every year!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21tell her ill battle her one day in the bean making dept... not talking refried chico and the man.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21My girl
    a href="http://www.mariecallenders.com/" target="_blank"1Marie
    /a1 is making the pies. All I gotta do is pick them up and I'm done with my part!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21marie's lemon merangue looks super yummy....b, 21b, 21Also, cooking a lamb roast but it's not thanksgiving related...mmmmmmm lamb img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/potatoworthyyz3.gif" alt="" 21

• Il letting my mother handle the feast this year after 5 years of rockin' the bird myself.b, 21b, 21Im gonna contribute a tangerine glazed ham.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Il letting my mother handle the feast this year after 5 years of rockin' the bird myself.
    b, 21
    b, 21Im gonna contribute a tangerine glazed ham.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21i know little about cooking ham, but you mean like this?b, 21b, 21img src="http://img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2008/09/08/TangerineHam_BabyCarrots_lg.jpg"1b, 21b, 21damn that looks good. i'm on food mode this week. b, 21b, 21trying to find a good biscuit recipe.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Il letting my mother handle the feast this year after 5 years of rockin' the bird myself.
    b, 21
    b, 21Im gonna contribute a tangerine glazed ham.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21i know little about cooking ham, but you mean like this?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21no doubt