Crate my dog? (nrr)

chasechase 767 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
I know we have a lot of seasoned dog owners here, so I was wondering. How many of you guys crate your dog? b, 21b, 21I have had many dogs growing up and have never put my dogs in crates, but my buddy swears by it. b, 21b, 21I got a new puppy last night that had been crated at night, but I put him in a crate last night with his blanket from the breed, he still cried for over an hour, I took him out and he slept on the bed just fine.b, 21b, 21I don't know what to do.

Comments

• YES, while he's a puppy get him used to the crate, he'll cry at first but eventually that stops. People forget that dogs are den animals and he will think of the crate as his den... the place he can go for safety or just to hang out. put his toys and stuff in there

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    edit since we posted the same thing. b, 21b, 21Put a blanket, pillow, toys, and chew in the create to make the crate comfortable.

• They like the crate. Its their place where they feel safe.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Crate 'em.b, 21b, 21My dog would get into the trash, piss and shit everywhere... b, 21b, 21He gets angry when we leave him.b, 21b, 21He's a burrowing Jack Russell. So his crate is his den and he won't piss and shit where he sleeps, either.b, 21b, 21Crate 'em.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    well I have the crate, so I might as well use it.. b, 21b, 21thanks guys

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Crate My Dog!

• object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="400" height="320" id="utv848522"1param name="flashvars" value="viewcount=true&autoplay=false&brand=embed"/1param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"/1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"/1param name="movie" value="http://www.ustream.tv/flash/live/1/317016"/1embed flashvars="viewcount=true&autoplay=false&brand=embed" width="400" height="320" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" id="utv848522" name="utv_n_241820" src="http://www.ustream.tv/flash/live/1/317016" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" /1/object1Free TV : Ustream/a1

• definitely crate him as a puppy. We crated our dog at night and when we'd leave the house. When they are puppies they will have accidents, but generally not in their crate. If you leave them at home you need to work up the time. Start with an hour, move it up an hour, and so forth. They are supposed to be able to hold it an hour for each month of their age. It's not always true in the higher numbers, but that's why it's called an accident. The dog should be able to last all night in the crate though while it sleeps. It helps train them to let you know that they have to go pee. When they whimper in the morning it means "I gotta piss." Be prepared to wake up at 5 in the morning though.b, 21b, 21Treat the pen as a fun, safe place, not a punishment. If he is bad, put him in a designated room for two minutes. Don't use the crate as a punishment. When you leave, put him in there and give him a treat. Get a Kong and fill it with peanut butter and before you know it he'll associate the crate with peanut butter and good times. b, 21b, 21Also, when you feed him, put his bowl inside the crate. It helps tell them "this is where I eat...don't piss or shit here." You can stop after awhile, but it helps in the beginning.

• Quote:h, 21b, 21When they whimper in the morning it means "I gotta piss." b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" /1

• oh yeah, put a blanket on top of the crate, covering the sides and the back. Helps it feel more like a cave. It lets them know they are safe from the back and sides.

• Definitely crate train your dog. Even if they can be trusted later to be alone in the house the crate is a hedge against having behavioral problems that will not allow you to do this (Digging, potty training issues, etc).b, 21b, 21Just make sure you don't set the puppy up for failure and accidentally train it to pee and/or poop in the crate, once that happens it is nearly impossible to undo.b, 21b, 21Find a good book on crate training to help you transition your dog into loving the crate.b, 21b, 21http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=...puppies&x=0&y=0/a1b, 21b, 21I don't recommend the The Art of Raising a Puppy in that list, it has been given up by the monks who wrote it but don't own the rights to the publishing...b, 21b, 21If you can afford it, I highly recommend that you get a reputable dog trainer to train you on how to train your puppy. Each dog is different and there is a lot of confusing and contradictory information out there.

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    do it - and yes, train it too (positively) - no Cesar Millan bullshit.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Also, don't use the crate as punishment. Make going into the crate a positive thing each time. You can tell the dog "good dog" etc. then reward with a treat when the dog gets in.

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    you want the dog to WANT to be in the crate, make it fun. if you were a dog what would you want in there, something to chew on, something soft to lay on. Also, when you've got a dog who hasn't been crate trained yet, they're going to whine and want to be out of the crate, especially if you're around cause they want to be part of the family. It takes practice, something I had to tell fools every day who would return their adopted dogs after a day for pissing in their house. Gotta be patient and consistent.

• Quote:h, 21b, 21you want the dog to WANT to be in the crate, make it fun. if you were a dog what would you want in there, something to chew on, something soft to lay on. Also, when you've got a dog who hasn't been crate trained yet, they're going to whine and want to be out of the crate, especially if you're around cause they want to be part of the family. It takes practice, something I had to tell fools every day who would return their adopted dogs after a day for pissing in their house. Gotta be patient and consistent. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" /1b, 21b, 21I can't say this enough, you have to be consistent with the dog. If you are the only one training it, its easier. But if there is more than one person training the dog, you guys need to be absolutely clear on what the training goals and methods are. Otherwise your pup will be very confused.b, 21b, 21Training is intensive in the first 1 year of a dogs life, but after that its more casual but you still will have to keep adjusting to and training your dog for the rest of its life. b, 21b, 21More importantly you will need to learn and understand dog behavior so that you give it the right signals. I can't tell you the number of times one of our dogs would start to act out and we could trace the behavior change to something we were doing wrong.b, 21b, 21As a side note, click training will help you quickly teach a dog. There are numerous books on the subject. We use it to train new behaviors and tricks in about 10-20 minutes, which might take days otherwise.b, 21b, 21I also want to say its one of the more rewarding things to have healthy, happy dogs that can behave in public and in the home. Most people just don't understand how much of a commitment it is.b, 21b, 21Good luck with your new puppy and may you be blessed with a smart, quick learner.

• also the crate gives the dog confidence because he feels safe...this carries over to the outside world...a confident dog is a dog that isnt scared, a dog that isnt scared isnt aggressive. The dog will start to like the crate and getting him/her in it wont be difficult. When we leave the house we just walk over to the crate, say "its time to crate up" and he walks in the crate. Just make sure there is some water, some toys and an old blanket for the dog to nest in.b, 21b, 21We used to crate the dog at night, but we started letting him sleep in the bed with us and he does fine. Even though he sometimes has bad gas and messes with the cats, but a loud "No!" and he lays back down and goes back to sleep.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I think that one of you needs to try to train your dog to recognize the smell of old album jackets, so when you walk him/her around the block you'll know which garages have records in them.

• Crate Dogging Revealing?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Crate Dogging Revealing?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sn.gif" alt="" 21

• reskresk 391 Posts