Anyone buy/sell on discogs.com?

erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
I haven't jumped in yet. Please to share your positive and/or negative experiences.

Comments

• i do more than anything else these days.b, 21b, 21sccrew ebay. i curse like 3 of you folls on here who drop joints i really want up for auction pon di bay. but yeah, not dealin with it anymore.

• ennuiennui 111 Posts
    I took the plunge last week. It's very informal, less work than ebay, and the orders have been rolling in. So far what's moving is more rare electro/random rap and it's all going to europe and especially japan.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I got about 125 early 90's rapp LP's & 12"s to get rid of.b, 21You guys got me thinking.

• Quote:h, 21b, 21I got about 125 early 90's rapp LP's & 12"s to get rid of.b, 21You guys got me thinking.b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21highly recommended. there have been numerous times in the past where i have jones'd for some random 12" trying to find the single audio .mp3 and there it is for sale on discogs in my google search. ther are a bunch of people on here that i know of who sell on there. do it.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Discogs is great for 12-inches of all genres, buying and selling, especially common stuff.b, 21b, 21It isn't too hot for most other genres, especially 45s.

• discogs is super easy, no hassle, and cheap. also, every time you list an item the system notifies the people who have that record marked as wanted, so you have a built in customer base right off the bat. if it covered more genres effectively (this all depends on the people using the site I guess) it would be the perfect way to sell records online. b, 21b, 21the only drawback is the limit placed on grading (there is no EX or VG++), but you can account for that in your descriptions. b, 21b, 21oh yeah, another cool feature is the "market history" option which lets you see what any item has sold for in the past.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Yeah... been buying and selling on there for a minute now, and so far, it's been all good.

• what commision/fee do they charge?

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I dun signed up.b, 21b, 21I>It???s free to list your items for sale. Discogs charges a 5% commission, based on the selling price, for each item sold through the Marketplace. Passing this fee to the buyer is not permitted.

Quote:h, 21b, 21what commision/fee do they charge? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21It's kinda like gemm in that they charge a commission based on the sale price, except that Gemm allows sellers to dirtectly add this to the listed price for an item, whereas discogs aclculates the fee separate to the time of sale and bills sellers on a monthly basis. b, 21b, 21The big thing I like about discogs comapred with gemm is that gemm makes it a little harder for us non-US folk to access the cash from we sell - I almost invariably just use my gemm revenue to buy stuff I want from other sellers. But since most discogs users use paypal to collect and pay, it's a lot easier at the end of the day.

• My one buying experience was just fine.b, 21WOULD BUY AGAIN A++!!!!!

• I've been buying on Discogs for 2 years now, more and more every month as new sellers turn up.b, 21b, 21The wantlist thing works really well.

Quote:h, 21b, 21I've been buying on Discogs for 2 years now, more and more every month as new sellers turn up.b, 21b, 21The wantlist thing works really well. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Yeah, another great feature that seems not to be working anymore on gemm. I emailed them about it a month ago - I dunno if other gemm users can weigh in, but I'm no longer getting email updates from gemm when items appear on my wantlist.

• ive sold about 25 records in the past month or so and am very pleased. no complaints about high shipping and listing items is pretty effortless.

• I have only used Gemm....is this better?

• akaaka 67 Posts
    I use that site a lot for info on rap/electronic 12"s. Been a bunch of times where I found something I wanted and look! it's for sale too. I would think that kind of traffic would be good for sellers (but bad for dudes like me trying to make it through school on a budget).

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21I have only used Gemm....is this better? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I'd much rather discuss your avatar.

overall, gemm is still beter for older stuff, like 60s/70s, but discogs is growing in this area too. But for 90s rap/eletro/house/DJ related whatever, discogs is a lot better

• just bought something off discogs (second time now I think) two days ago. captain jones - space dawg 12".

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    I had nothing but fun as a buyer/sellerb, 21b, 21I had nothing but trouble as a submitter

Quote:h, 21b, 21I had nothing but fun as a buyer/sellerb, 21b, 21I had nothing but trouble as a submitter b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Ahh yeah... that's the downside. It took me a while but once I got the hang of it I started to get through submissions pretty quickly, but the system takes some getting used to, that's for sure.b, 21b, 21But when stuff you're selling is already listed on discogs, listing items for sale is a no-brainer.

• Like others have said it's definitely a good place to buy/sell hip hop. Also a useful research site as you can gauge the rarity of a non-popsike listed record based on the amount of wants on there.

• I think after this post there will be a few of us on the discogs train. b, 21b, 21I have a heap of house/techno 12's i am keen to unload and discogs may be the place b, 21b, 21I have used it as a good cut and paste resource for ebay listings as well

• another feature i like about discogs versus gemm & musicstack, is that the descriptions are a lot more "detailed" if you will. too many times i would find something on gemm or especially musicstack and it wouldn't list anything like if the record in question was a 1st pressing, 2nd pressing, reissue, ect.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21I think after this post there will be a few of us on the discogs train. b, 21b, 21I have a heap of house/techno 12's i am keen to unload and discogs may be the place b, 21b, 21I have used it as a good cut and paste resource for ebay listings as well b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Co-sign on all three. b, 21b, 21It'd be cool to see a surge of Soul Strut converts as a result of this thread. Based on what I've seen and peoples' mostly positive comments in this thread, discogs seems to me to be the most promising ebay alternative on the horizon- an option not too far off from the record-only auction site idea that has been floated on here in the past. I'm thinking I'll keep the ebay site going for LPs and switch all my 12" business to discogs.b, 21b, 21Cutting and pasting from discogs has been a life saver. I've actually spent way more time surfing discogs over the years than I have on ebay or popsike combined. I pretty much had a discogs window open on my desktop 24/7 already, so the prospect of having everything in one site is great.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    post your discogs idb, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21or you're SOFT