Names On Record Sleeves/Labels (soulmate-R)

dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
Used records used to belong to someone. b, 21b, 21Here in Seattle, I'm all about "Winnie A" and "Nick Johnson." I vibe with their whole collections...Who were/are they? DJ's? Worked in music biz? Are they even from Seattle?b, 21b, 21I quietly hand-fan when I see dude's signature, with a little "what you got for me today, Nick?" in my head. Completely nerdy, sure, but genuinely fascinated about these people. Winnie uses sticky nametags on the record labels, she's into disco and more upbeat stuff, while Nick Johnson seems a jazzhead. b, 21b, 21What are the names in your towns? Tell me of backstories; of how the guy died and his dumb kids sold them all; of how she just gave them all away; of how dude couldn't bear to part with them; tell me more... b, 21b, 21Give me the soulstrut indie movie story where diggerkid answers a classified ad for old records and ends up falling in love with some jazz great's widow inna Harold and Maude style or whatever...b, 21b, 21I love it.

Comments

• Shine was apparently a DJ or he just loved to party with soul.b, 21b, 21DJ X-Ray was mostly a dance dj but also had a lot of key early hip hop and cool early nu-wave importsb, 21b, 21Bonky aka Bonnie liked all the right stuff (soul/funk/etc 1965-1975) but apparently lost the collection to someone who stored it in a garage where gasoline smell leached into the covers.b, 21b, 21Lloyd (i forget the last name) III had an amazing jazz and avant garde collection 1950-1970, all OG presses, but wasnt too careful with his stuff, theyre a bit dinged up but still cool.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    There were these record I started to see and get from all over the place here in the South Bay and It had this on all the covers (written).b, 21b, 21Jean(Gemini)Loves Darrel(Leo) [/b]b, 21b, 21Always wondered who they were.If they were still together, If they were alive, etc. It was in 2000, when I used to work at Streetlight Records and got to meet the couple. b, 21b, 21I did not know it was them, till I went outside and looked at all the records they had brought in and I was like, are you two Jean & Darrel ?b, 21b, 21They replied "yes!" and I stated to explain to them in how I came across all these records and Darrel then started to explain that he used to be a disc jockey(mobile and club). Apparently, the last place he lived at(since him and Jean were having money problems),they were evicted from and had an "x" amount of days to clear everything out. b, 21b, 21Unfortunatly, the property management claimed all of the remaining house hold items(furniture,personal belonging,records,etc).After hearing this story and since I found all the records at the thrift, I'm assuming the property company did not want to have anything to do with them and just donated them.b, 21b, 21The majority of the records were all rap and soul lp's and 12's and some odd titles here and there(nothing worth really mentioning). But for the most part, all really solid titles like Various Juice Crew titles, Enjoy 12's and so on. Solid material.b, 21b, 21The other records they brought to the store, were pretty much on the same level, but condition wise not the best. After hearing the story, I ended up buying the whole collection for more than I should have and I almost got fired cause of it. But during that time, kids were buying vg- record and did not care what the condition was and using the term "dj friendly" making it playable and convincing my work it was not a problem at all.b, 21b, 21I was pretty happy that I got to meet some people that were really nice folks and got that "what if" solved.

• LA: b, 21b, 21Dr. LLoyd Fergusonb, 21b, 21Greatest private jazz and soul collection that ever existed and then was dispersed into the community.