How to identify fake $100 bills ?

ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
I just got a couple of them and they all have a see-through line that says "100 USA" . The proble is that one of them is an older or different bill and doesn't have this. Waht can I do?b, 21I tried googling this and I only came up on some special pen to check the ink.

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    Hold it up to a light and look for the watermark of Benjamin

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    There isn't any. I think this might be a fake.

• ohhhh snap. that ain't good...

• quick, buy some weed or something with it

Hahaha...b, 21b, 21I actually just rubbed it against some white paper and it stained the white paper a lil' so that should prove its legitimacy, right?

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    best thing is refusing to take old 100s altogether. I've read that up to about 20% of those are fakes. I forgot this at the FMU fair and took some old ones. Several seemed odd but one looked fishy as hell, almost torn apart, paper felt weird and the thin security stripe wasn't there when holding it against the light. Bought a money order with all the old ones I had and was very glad when I had them gone. Only the new ones for me from now on.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    At the record store I worked at we had one of those special markers that turns yellow and fades if it's real or brown if it's fake. b, 21b, 21If you're a regular record show slanger it would prolly be easier just to cop of one of those.

• I worked in the cash room at a grocery store and at a bank for a while and I saw a some really bad fakes. After a while you can tell without really looking. Most of the time the paper just doesn't feel right. The paper the mint uses and how they make it is kept top secret. The toughest are the washed bills that use a bleached $1 to reprint a $100. If you get them you are shit out of luck. If you try to pass it you could end up in some shit. Some polish mafia dude passed a bunch to business near the bank I worked at then skipped town. The businesses were fucked.

Quote:h, 21b, 21The toughest are the washed bills that use a bleached $1 to reprint a $100. If you get them you are shit out of luck.b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21You can still look at the watermark on the bleached one. Typically a $5 bill is used and you'll see Lincoln instead of Franklin.b, 21b, 21

I usually don't handle US dollars the thing is I'm in South America at the time and this is the most trusted type of currency so I have no choice. I remember a couple of years ago I was here and got screwed over by a pretty important airline company. They gave me $50 US in change out of which like fifteen $1 bills were fake and two or three $5 were as well. They usually tend to counterfeit the lower denominations because people don't check them. In fact in Argentina they were counterfeiting coins up until recently.b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oof.gif" alt="" /1

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21At the record store I worked at we had one of those special markers that turns yellow and fades if it's real or brown if it's fake. b, 21b, 21If you're a regular record show slanger it would prolly be easier just to cop of one of those. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I carry 2 of those in my dj backpack everywhere I spin.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    b, 21For newer bills the security strip in US currency is fluorescent, if you have access to a black-light (or a uv transilluminator) the strip in a $100 bill should be orange/pink. $50s are yellow, $20s are green, $10s are red and $5s are blue.

• Quote:h, 21b, 21
    Quote:h, 21b, 21The toughest are the washed bills that use a bleached $1 to reprint a $100. If you get them you are shit out of luck.b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21You can still look at the watermark on the bleached one. Typically a $5 bill is used and you'll see Lincoln instead of Franklin.b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Yeah, I just meant for feel. It is easy to spot a washed bill, but when you are counting huge stacks of bills it is harder. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/balla-22.gif" alt="" /1b, 21b, 21b, 21I was once confounded by a pretty good fake $5. I mean the time and effort it must have taken to make can't be worth the pay out.

• My old shitbag of a boss (owner) at a well established liquor store taught me trick for bills above that are newer in style. Basically, if you run a finger nail across the bill, you should be able to feel small grooves (on the face for example) where the ink is raised.b, 21b, 21Those bleached out fives to hundreds are amazingly nice -- seen a few in my time.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21My old shitbag of a boss (owner) at a well established liquor store taught me trick for bills above that are newer in style. Basically, if you run a finger nail across the bill, you should be able to feel small grooves (on the face for example) where the ink is raised.b, 21b, 21Those bleached out fives to hundreds are amazingly nice -- seen a few in my time. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Actually, it is the Shoulders that are ribbed on all bills, not the face, even the old ones.b, 21b, 21Thats pretty much the tried and true method to check any bill for me at least, even ones.b, 21Just use your fingernail to scratch the shoulders, and only the shoulders, it should be ribbed with texture.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    SNIFF TEST

• Quote:h, 21b, 21b, 21Actually, it is the Shoulders that are ribbed on all bills, not the face, even the old ones.b, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Yeah, i meant the 'face area'. It was also a good way to check the bill without offending someone (by holding it to the light). Dude was all about the customer, but not about his employees. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/WHYMUSTICRY.gif" alt="" /1

• Quote:h, 21b, 21
    Quote:h, 21b, 21My old shitbag of a boss (owner) at a well established liquor store taught me trick for bills above that are newer in style. Basically, if you run a finger nail across the bill, you should be able to feel small grooves (on the face for example) where the ink is raised.b, 21b, 21Those bleached out fives to hundreds are amazingly nice -- seen a few in my time. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Actually, it should be ribbed with texture. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21sounds like we are talking about condoms