need some microwave help please

mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
so I'm playing at a club weeks ago with another DJ and my external HD is plugged into his nice Mac laptop... we are trading off sets and things are going great.b, 21then right at peak as we switch from him to me, I go to cue a song and S.erato locks up.b, 21song keeps playing, but we are beachballed/pinwheeled/SPODed...b, 21b, 21anyways, we reboot and S.erato isn't recognizing most of his library and my HD isn't showing up at all.b, 21unplug my HD and reboot again. Finally, it recognizes his full library and he DJ's most of the rest of the night.b, 21b, 21He's never had problems like that before (runs all his music off his internal HD) and I believe him.b, 21b, 21However, I've never had problems like that using my external on my computer (a much older Mac) and I've played the song that I cued before and I tested it at home after and everything worked fine.b, 21b, 21I use the Lacie Rugged and have been very happy with it.b, 21b, 21HELP!

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21so I'm playing at a club weeks ago with another DJ and my external HD is plugged into his nice Mac laptop... we are trading off sets and things are going great.b, 21then right at peak as we switch from him to me, I go to cue a song and S.erato locks up.b, 21song keeps playing, but we are beachballed/pinwheeled/SPODed...b, 21b, 21anyways, we reboot and S.erato isn't recognizing most of his library and my HD isn't showing up at all.b, 21unplug my HD and reboot again. Finally, it recognizes his full library and he DJ's most of the rest of the night.b, 21b, 21He's never had problems like that before (runs all his music off his internal HD) and I believe him.b, 21b, 21However, I've never had problems like that using my external on my computer (a much older Mac) and I've played the song that I cued before and I tested it at home after and everything worked fine.b, 21b, 21I use the Lacie Rugged and have been very happy with it.b, 21b, 21HELP! b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Questions:b, 21b, 21The song you were playing when you switched out... What it located on the external? Did you disconnect that same external when you switched out?b, 21b, 21What version of s.rato are you running?

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21so I'm playing at a club weeks ago with another DJ and my external HD is plugged into his nice Mac laptop... we are trading off sets and things are going great.b, 21then right at peak as we switch from him to me, I go to cue a song and S.erato locks up.b, 21song keeps playing, but we are beachballed/pinwheeled/SPODed...b, 21b, 21anyways, we reboot and S.erato isn't recognizing most of his library and my HD isn't showing up at all.b, 21unplug my HD and reboot again. Finally, it recognizes his full library and he DJ's most of the rest of the night.b, 21b, 21He's never had problems like that before (runs all his music off his internal HD) and I believe him.b, 21b, 21However, I've never had problems like that using my external on my computer (a much older Mac) and I've played the song that I cued before and I tested it at home after and everything worked fine.b, 21b, 21I use the Lacie Rugged and have been very happy with it.b, 21b, 21HELP! b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Questions:b, 21b, 21The song you were playing when you switched out... What it located on the external? Did you disconnect that same external when you switched out?b, 21b, 21What version of s.rato are you running? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21yeah, it was on the external.b, 21and we disconnected that same external when we rebooted the 2nd time.b, 21b, 21my friend runs a newish version and I run an older version of S.erato because I fear my old laptop won't be able to run the newest versions.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21so I'm playing at a club weeks ago with another DJ and my external HD is plugged into his nice Mac laptop... we are trading off sets and things are going great.b, 21then right at peak as we switch from him to me, I go to cue a song and S.erato locks up.b, 21song keeps playing, but we are beachballed/pinwheeled/SPODed...b, 21b, 21anyways, we reboot and S.erato isn't recognizing most of his library and my HD isn't showing up at all.b, 21unplug my HD and reboot again. Finally, it recognizes his full library and he DJ's most of the rest of the night.b, 21b, 21He's never had problems like that before (runs all his music off his internal HD) and I believe him.b, 21b, 21However, I've never had problems like that using my external on my computer (a much older Mac) and I've played the song that I cued before and I tested it at home after and everything worked fine.b, 21b, 21I use the Lacie Rugged and have been very happy with it.b, 21b, 21HELP! b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Questions:b, 21b, 21The song you were playing when you switched out... What it located on the external? Did you disconnect that same external when you switched out?b, 21b, 21What version of s.rato are you running? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21yeah, it was on the external.b, 21and we disconnected that same external when we rebooted the 2nd time.b, 21b, 21my friend runs a newish version and I run an older version of S.erato because I fear my old laptop won't be able to run the newest versions. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Well, as far as I've seen, you can't disconnect an external while a song is playing from that same drive. b, 21b, 21Another question: Did the drive mount, but was not recognized by s.rato? or just not mount at all?

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21so I'm playing at a club weeks ago with another DJ and my external HD is plugged into his nice Mac laptop... we are trading off sets and things are going great.b, 21then right at peak as we switch from him to me, I go to cue a song and S.erato locks up.b, 21song keeps playing, but we are beachballed/pinwheeled/SPODed...b, 21b, 21anyways, we reboot and S.erato isn't recognizing most of his library and my HD isn't showing up at all.b, 21unplug my HD and reboot again. Finally, it recognizes his full library and he DJ's most of the rest of the night.b, 21b, 21He's never had problems like that before (runs all his music off his internal HD) and I believe him.b, 21b, 21However, I've never had problems like that using my external on my computer (a much older Mac) and I've played the song that I cued before and I tested it at home after and everything worked fine.b, 21b, 21I use the Lacie Rugged and have been very happy with it.b, 21b, 21HELP! b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Questions:b, 21b, 21The song you were playing when you switched out... What it located on the external? Did you disconnect that same external when you switched out?b, 21b, 21What version of s.rato are you running? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21yeah, it was on the external.b, 21and we disconnected that same external when we rebooted the 2nd time.b, 21b, 21my friend runs a newish version and I run an older version of S.erato because I fear my old laptop won't be able to run the newest versions. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Well, as far as I've seen, you can't disconnect an external while a song is playing from that same drive. b, 21b, 21Another question: Did the drive mount, but was not recognized by s.rato? or just not mount at all? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21The song I cued never loaded...thats when it locked up. I keyboard shortcutted it to drop it on the non-playing virtual deck.b, 21b, 21We didn't disconnect the external while the song was playing. Only after we had turned off the computer.b, 21b, 21I don't think it mounted at all after the reboots. But when I took it home...no problems.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21so I'm playing at a club weeks ago with another DJ and my external HD is plugged into his nice Mac laptop... we are trading off sets and things are going great.b, 21then right at peak as we switch from him to me, I go to cue a song and S.erato locks up.b, 21song keeps playing, but we are beachballed/pinwheeled/SPODed...b, 21b, 21anyways, we reboot and S.erato isn't recognizing most of his library and my HD isn't showing up at all.b, 21unplug my HD and reboot again. Finally, it recognizes his full library and he DJ's most of the rest of the night.b, 21b, 21He's never had problems like that before (runs all his music off his internal HD) and I believe him.b, 21b, 21However, I've never had problems like that using my external on my computer (a much older Mac) and I've played the song that I cued before and I tested it at home after and everything worked fine.b, 21b, 21I use the Lacie Rugged and have been very happy with it.b, 21b, 21HELP! b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Questions:b, 21b, 21The song you were playing when you switched out... What it located on the external? Did you disconnect that same external when you switched out?b, 21b, 21What version of s.rato are you running? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21yeah, it was on the external.b, 21and we disconnected that same external when we rebooted the 2nd time.b, 21b, 21my friend runs a newish version and I run an older version of S.erato because I fear my old laptop won't be able to run the newest versions. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Well, as far as I've seen, you can't disconnect an external while a song is playing from that same drive. b, 21b, 21Another question: Did the drive mount, but was not recognized by s.rato? or just not mount at all? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21The song I cued never loaded...thats when it locked up. I keyboard shortcutted it to drop it on the non-playing virtual deck.b, 21b, 21We didn't disconnect the external while the song was playing. Only after we had turned off the computer.b, 21b, 21I don't think it mounted at all after the reboots. But when I took it home...no problems. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21ok, I'm officially stumped. There's a sticky on the s.rato forums where you can send the mods/Microwave dudes any file that caused you issues for analysis. Might try that. It doesn't, to me, sound like a hard drive issue. I'm overlooking the brand though.b, 21b, 21BUT... You might wanna verify disk permissions on the external. As well as the regular maintenance (fsck -f, zapping pram, etc..)