Numark Portable (WTF related)

jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
This is the second newmark portable I have had that has variable speed problems (warble) on it, causing it to slow down once every rotation. It's pissing me off, because everything else works fine and I haven't even traveled with it.b, 21b, 21Lost the receipt so the other day I take it apart (If your curious there is a round clip on the spindle that you can slide off so that the platter can be removed exposing the belt and motor)b, 21b, 21Is there anything I can do other than buy another?b, 21b, 21Maybe get a new belt?b, 21b, 21I have tried weights on top of the record to see if it was a slipping problem but no dice.b, 21b, 21Grrr!

Comments

• Weird, I've had mine for over a year and have dropped it a few times and it still works fine.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Someone was just telling me after about an hour the batteries start to give and he gets static. He can only use it plugged in.

• I used to have this problem with one at work, and it turned out to be the felt on the side. You might wanted to try using a thicker slipmat to keep it from rubbing on anything while it rotates.

• I guess I was lucky and got a good one - I've had the same batteries for months and they're still going strong.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I used to have this problem with one at work, and it turned out to be the felt on the side. You might wanted to try using a thicker slipmat to keep it from rubbing on anything while it rotates. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I've had to tape the upper edge because the silver plate surrounding the platter kept unsticking and the record would slowly rub/scratch the edge. This would not only slow down the record but also scratch it. This is also a pretty well know manufactures defect but can easily be resolved as mentioned above by taping the edge.

• weird, i've had my pt-1 for a couple years now and have been pleasantly surprised at how long it's lasted. considering how much i've used it. i think i've only used it (off it's power cord) twice.b, 21b, 21other than that it sounds brand new. is this only a numark portable problem?

• haha. i just realized quisitive and i had the same opening statements. didn't mean to swagger jack.

• Four years and still no problems with my shitty vestax.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Thanks for all the feedback everybody, I am cutting down a slipmat now as i think the drag suggested by the felt/metal may be the culprit.b, 21b, 21Where those sound burger fans at?

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    I've had my vestax for ages. The batteries are still going strong.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I've had my vestax for ages. The batteries are still going strong. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21

• not to scare ya, but a shop here in town has used a numark portable for its listening station and it started doing the speed thing a couple months ago and now it just just pins really slow and dies after about 30 seconds...

• My friend had an issue with the power supply connector on the board. Might've been because he plugged and unplugged it too many times, but the soldering joints were all loose. It was a quick and painless fix though.

• I've been through a Vestax and a Numark within the last 4 years. I'm now on my second Numark that I bought used for $40 and so far it's "strong like bull".b, 21b, 21There was some sort of output problem with the Vestax that I probably could have fixed, but I was lazy and just bought the Numark. The Numark got a lot of play but eventually just stopped working.b, 21b, 21I'm pretty hard on portables though. I bring 'em digging, camping, front porch listening sessions etc. I think I like the Numarks better, but I have heard of some quality issues form other peoples.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I've had one since they came out. 4 years? No problems at all. I'm suprised becuase Numark shit is always crappy.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I'm having problems with my battery terminals. I plug that PT-01 into the wall, and I'm golden. Batteries? No dice.