EXCHANGE RATE: HOT OR NOT?

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
Funny how most of the fallout from the economy tanking has beenb, 21improving my own life lately, from cheap gas to big sales for Christmasb, 21shopping ... at least, I felt that way until my Sister told me today sheb, 21just got laid off from her very well-paying job.b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oof.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21Anyway, the other thing that is both good and bad for me is the increasedb, 21value of the dollar (or is that devaluation of other currency?) in the exchangeb, 21rate, especially with the ?? and Euro. Good because those UK 45 set sale websitesb, 21suddenly look much more affordable, bad because I'm dropping coin I reallyb, 21can't afford or want to throw around right now, but don't want to pass up b, 21a time period where a ??40 single is $50 instead of the $80 it was 6 months ago!b, 21b, 21Anyone else been taking advantage of this? b, 21b, 21b, 21Or on the flipside, are UK and Euro dudes having a tougher time buyingb, 21and selling records with the return in US $ being lower? I always assumeb, 21that those UK sites are dealing mainly outside the US even on the Internet,b, 21that the US buyers from UK/Euro dealers would be a small amount of theirb, 21business. But I guess the ability of European buyers to cherry-pick raersb, 21from the US on eBay has taken a serious hit, huh?

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Oh, forgot the obligatory clever post-ending graemlin.b, 21b, 21

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Trips to Iceland now =

• b, 21It's like clockwork - dollar strengthens/euro+pound weaken, orders from the US increase. teh internets is a well-oiled, efficient, record-shifting machine.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Yeah I've stopped buying records from the US. If that view is prevalent, it is a blow for US sellers, but one I'm sure that won't bankrupt them.b, 21b, 21I'll still pick up soul 45s here (UK) because there is no fx implication and because (potential asshurt warning) there is more concentration of focussed heat here.b, 21b, 21Luckily I filled my boots with the US raer when ??/$ was 2+ over the last year.b, 21b, 21It's great that US buyers will now do the same from UK/Euroland, as this will help our exports and soften the recession, even if only slightly.b, 21b, 21Hopefully US tourists will now flock to the cheaper Europe. b, 21I'll gladly put up with the daily "Say, was Wesley really converted here?" and the good old "Can you direct me to Lychees/Lie-chester/Lie-cestershire/Lychees-sire-chester-cester Square?" with the hat on the side of my head and the proverbial rainbow around my shoulders, and meet them with a gleaming "why of course Sir, and plaese to spend plenty of cake while you're here!".b, 21b, 21BTW, hats off to Germany - the world's largest exporters of manufactured goods, beating even China and USA.

• Yeah this is a big win for me, as i get paid in US dollars, but only really spend in EUR/GBP/AUD. Against the australian dollar is has pretty much equated to a 30% pay rise for me in the last few months.b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/green30sv.gif" alt="" 21

• I can grip rare Euro stuff again but the down side is Euroman isn't spending as much. I actually had a buyer from the UK send me an email a few days ago telling me how they only had $10 dollars in their account and they wanted a $200 plus dollar record for that amount. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wtf.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21are UK and Euro dudes having a tougher time buying and selling records with the return in US $ being lower?b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21YES! img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/talib-doodoo.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/WHYMUSTICRY.gif" alt="" 21