Does it strike you as odd that Prince is anti-gay?

phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
Interesting, revealing article from the New Yorker re: the Purple One's conversion to Jehovah's Witness. Some choice quotes:b, 21b, 21"Prince padded into the kitchen, a small fifty-year-old man in yoga pants and a big sweater, wearing platform flip-flops over white socks, like a geisha."b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21 b1When asked about his perspective on social issues???gay marriage, abortion???Prince tapped his Bible and said, ???God came to earth and saw people sticking it wherever and doing it with whatever, and he just cleared it all out. He was, like, ???Enough.??? ??? /b1 b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21Full Article: http://www.newyorker.com/talk/2008/11/24/081124ta_talk_hoffman/a1b, 21b, 21Soup With Princeb, 21by Claire Hoffman b, 21b, 21The thirty-thousand-square-foot Italianate villa, built this century by Vanna White???s ex-husband, looks like many of the other houses in Beverly Park, a gated community in L.A., except for the bright-purple carpet that spills down the front steps to announce its new tenant: Prince. One afternoon just before the election, Prince invited a visitor over. Inside, the place was done up in a generic Mediterranean style, although there were personal flourishes here and there???a Lucite grand piano with a gold-colored ???Artist Formerly Known as Prince??? symbol suspended over it, purple paisley pillows on a couch. Candles scented the air, and New Age music played in the living room, where a TV screen showed images of bearded men playing flutes. Prince padded into the kitchen, a small fifty-year-old man in yoga pants and a big sweater, wearing platform flip-flops over white socks, like a geisha. b, 21b, 21???Would you like something to eat???? he asked, sidling up to the counter. Prince???s voice was surprisingly deep, like that of a much larger man. He picked up a copy of ???21 Nights,??? a glossy volume of photographs that he had just released. It is his first published book, a collection of highly stylized photographs of him taken during a series of gigs in London last year. ???I???m really proud of this,??? he said. Short original poems and a CD accompany the photographs. (Sample verse: ???Who eye really am only time will tell/ 2 the almighty life 4ce that grows stronger with every chorus/ Yes give praise, lest ye b among . . . the guilty ones.???)b, 21b, 21Limping slightly, Prince set off on a walk around his new bachelor pad. Glass doors opened onto acres of back yard, and a hot tub bubbled in the sunlight. ???I have a lot of parties,??? he explained. In the living room, he???d installed purple thrones on either side of a fireplace, and, nearby, along a hallway, he had hung photographs of himself, in a Moroccan villa, in various states of undress. At the end of the hall, a gauzy curtain fluttered in a doorway. ???My room,??? he said. ???It???s private.??? b, 21b, 21Prince has lived in Los Angeles since last spring, after spending years in Minneapolis, holding court in a complex called Paisley Park, where he made thousands of songs, far away from the big labels. Seven years ago, he became a Jehovah???s Witness. He said that he had moved to L.A. so that he could understand the hearts and minds of the music moguls. ???I wanted to be around people, connected to people, for work,??? he said. ???You know, it???s all about religion. That???s what unites people here. They all have the same religion, so I wanted to sit down with them, to understand the way they see things, how they read Scripture.???b, 21b, 21Prince had his change of faith, he said, after a two-year-long debate with a musician friend, Larry Graham. ???I don???t see it really as a conversion,??? he said. ???More, you know, it???s a realization. It???s like Morpheus and Neo in ???The Matrix.??? ??? He attends meetings at a local Kingdom Hall, and, like his fellow-witnesses, he leaves his gated community from time to time to knock on doors and proselytize. ???Sometimes people act surprised, but mostly they???re really cool about it,??? he said.b, 21b, 21b, 21Recently, Prince hosted an executive who works for Philip Anschutz, the Christian businessman whose company owns the Staples Center. ???We started talking red and blue,??? Prince said. ???People with money???money like that???are not affected by the stock market, and they???re not freaking out over anything. They???re just watching. So here???s how it is: you???ve got the Republicans, and basically they want to live according to this.??? He pointed to a Bible. ???But there???s the problem of interpretation, and you???ve got some churches, some people, basically doing things and saying it comes from here, but it doesn???t. And then on the opposite end of the spectrum you???ve got blue, you???ve got the Democrats, and they???re, like, ???You can do whatever you want.??? Gay marriage, whatever. But neither of them is right.???b, 21b, 21When asked about his perspective on social issues???gay marriage, abortion???Prince tapped his Bible and said, ???God came to earth and saw people sticking it wherever and doing it with whatever, and he just cleared it all out. He was, like, ???Enough.??? ??? b, 21b, 21Later, in the dining room, eating a bowl of carrot soup, he talked about an encounter that he described as a ???teaching moment.??? ???There was this woman. She used to come to Paisley Park and just sit outside on the swings,??? he said. ???So I went out there one day and I was, like, ???Hey, all my friends in there say you???re a stalker. And that I should call the police. But I don???t want to do that, so why don???t you tell me what you want to happen. Why are you here? How do you want this to end???? And she didn???t really have an answer for that. In the end, all she wanted was to be seen, for me to look at her. And she left and didn???t come back.??? ♦

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21and New Age music played in the living room,b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21

• He's a born again christian, so no.

Everything in that article strikes me as odd, from surrounding himself with pictures of himself to the carrot soup.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    "Wendy?" "Yes Lisa?"

• Prince is batsh*t crazy. I thought this was common knowledge. None of this surprises me.

• This would be like Stevie being against the disabled.

I never equated Prince's Freakness as Gay. b, 21b, 21Dude was always on some I likes the ladies shit and ladies like me cause i dress more flamboyant than them.b, 21b, 21Yes he used that Wendy/Lisa imagery to allude to lesbianism but it didnt go to far from there.b, 21b, 21He was smackin up Apollonia like some old-school heathen.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21He attends meetings at a local Kingdom Hall, and, like his fellow-witnesses, he leaves his gated community from time to time to knock on doors and proselytize. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Can you imagine Prince knocking on your door @ 10am on a Saturday morning? b, 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21and New Age music played in the living roomb, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21HOLLYWOOD PEARSON MOVES REVEALED

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21He attends meetings at a local Kingdom Hall, and, like his fellow-witnesses, he leaves his gated community from time to time to knock on doors and proselytize. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Can you imagine Prince knocking on your door @ 10am on a Saturday morning? b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21"Have u ever swam in Lake Minnetonka?"

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I never equated Prince's Freakness as Gay. b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I never equated Prince's Freakness as Gay. b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21h, 21dude is anything but gay.look at the list of women he's smashed,if he is gay he has excellent taste in beards.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I never equated Prince's Freakness as Gay. b, 21b, 21Dude was always on some I likes the ladies shit and ladies like me cause i dress more flamboyant than them.b, 21b, 21Yes he used that Wendy/Lisa imagery to allude to lesbianism but it didnt go to far from there.b, 21b, 21He was smackin up Apollonia like some old-school heathen. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Apparently even when he was playing around with that "Am I straight or gay?" imagery, he was still pretty homophobic. One of the reasons Wendy and Lisa fell out with him is because they actually were lovers, and Prince did not approve. His mindset seems fairly typical for a midwestern black dude born in the 50's.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21He attends meetings at a local Kingdom Hall, and, like his fellow-witnesses, he leaves his gated community from time to time to knock on doors and proselytize. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Can you imagine Prince knocking on your door @ 10am on a Saturday morning? b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21I would prefer Serena Williams, thank you.b, 21b, 21An old roommate of mine who used to drink all day would invite JW's in to 'discuss current events' when they came knocking. One sunny afternoon, I awoke from a nap to a huge ruckus, I run downstairs to find my roomie in his bathrobe screaming at these two older JW's "TAKE THAT BACK, MOTHERFUCKER!! THE ROMANS KILLED JESUS, NOT THE JEWS!! JESUS CHRIST, LEARN SOME f*cking HISTORY!!", while they were basically screaming back at him as he cleared them out. Ahhh, the smell of Dewar's out of a coffee cup on a summer day.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    /font1
    b, 21b, 21Can you imagine Prince knocking on your door @ 10am on a Saturday morning? b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21All Along the Watchtower/b1b, 21http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0/a1,,518587,00.htmlb, 21b, 21By Gary Susmanb, 21b, 21Prince, who said in a 2001 interview that he's become a Jehovah's Witness, takes his new faith seriously. So discovered a woman named Rochelle, who told the Minneapolis-St.Paul Star Tribune that her husband answered a knock on the door to their Eden Prairie, Minn., home last Sunday to find the purple pop star proselytizing. He introduced himself by his full name, Prince Nelson, and came inside, accompanied by his bassist, former Sly and the Family Stone member Larry Graham, Rochelle told the paper.b, 21b, 21''My first thought is 'Cool, cool, cool. He wants to use my house for a set. I'm glad! Demolish the whole thing! Start over!' Then they start in on this Jehovah's Witnesses stuff,'' Rochelle recalled. ''I said, 'You know what? You've walked into a Jewish household, and this is not something I'm interested in.' He says, Can I just finish? Then the other guy, Larry Graham, gets out his little Bible and starts reading scriptures about being Jewish and the land of Israel.''b, 21b, 21Rochelle said Prince and Graham stayed for 25 minutes. ''Left us a pamphlet,'' Rochelle said. ''He was very kind,'' she said of Prince, who left with Graham in a ''big black truck with a woman, long dark hair in the front seat.'' (Presumably, Prince's wife, Manuela Testolini.) Curiously, they did not visit any other homes on the block. ''It was so bizarre, you would have just laughed,'' Rochelle said. After all, maybe Prince didn't know better than to try to convert a Jewish family hours before the start of Yom Kippur, the holiest day on the Jewish calendar. Still, as a Minnesota native, he should have known better than to visit people's houses and try to distract them from their TVs during a Vikings game.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I never equated Prince's Freakness as Gay. b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21b, 21it is normally either extreme homophobes or closet gays hiding behind the extreme homophobes guise that are always convinced that guys that dress flamboyantly or act slightly different than the norm are gay

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I never equated Prince's Freakness as Gay. b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21b, 21it is normally either extreme homophobes or closet gays hiding behind the extreme homophobes guise that are always convinced that guys that dress flamboyantly or act slightly different than the norm are gay b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21hold up, hold up. I agree with you guys in theory, but Prince sure couldb, 21get effeminate as a motherfucker, and was posing in women's underwearb, 21and shit. One can see where some people who weren't "either extreme homophobesb, 21 or closet gays hiding behind the extreme homophobes guise" might have figuredb, 21him for a man who likes a man who likes men.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21This would be like Stevie being against the disabled. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/841.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Prince is batsh*t crazy. I thought this was common knowledge. None of this surprises me. b, 21b, 21h, 21

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,894 Posts
    Sorry to hear that the bass legend that is Larry Graham is away with the fairies too.b, 21b, 21BTW I am not religious. I gots no beef with those who are but hey, I don't like being told what to believe in. Or at least, I don't want anything off that set menu.b, 21b, 21I *can* conceive of things I can't see, like The Funk, and oxygen. But please, not straight-up fairy stories.b, 21b, 21I AM READY FOR THE GREYS, ARE YOU?

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    Keep in mind though, if my knowledge is correct (and if very well may not be), Prince only recently (when he met his now wife) became a Jehovah's Witness. So, anything prior to that is fair game (at least in religious terms). Also, think about the fact that in the 80s it was "cool" to be androgynous for style and attraction purposes (women dug guys that looked like them?) and because he was so effeminate as well he could have taken it upon himself to womanize to dispel any questioning of his sexuality. Prince just seemed like a sexual dude who was willing to get it on with whoever was willing.b, 21b, 21Either way, I'm not surprised by any of this. As amazing a musician/performer he his he is definitely crazy. And where crazy lives you will usually find a religion or two. So, I can't really think about Prince other than what I hear and see on stage or on record - if I start to think about him any other way the universe starts to implode.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 if I start to think about him any other way the universe starts to implode. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21who really cares whut that crazy little man thinks? he made sign o' the times ya'll...

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Everything in that article strikes me as odd, from surrounding himself with pictures of himself to the carrot soup. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Nothing about Prince ever struck me as normal, so I'd expect anything from him by now.

• game ... blouses.b, 21b, 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Everything in that article strikes me as odd, from surrounding himself with pictures of himself to the carrot soup. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21And he lives in Minnesota... why?

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Everything in that article strikes me as odd, from surrounding himself with pictures of himself to the carrot soup. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21And he lives in Minnesota... why? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21He was born here.

• not really but i'm kind of surpised that the scientologists didnt recruit him first since they seem to be geared towards people with lots of scratch. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/balla-22.gif" alt="" 21 on that note, which do you guys think is worse scientology or the jw's?

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 on that note, which do you guys think is worse scientology or the jw's? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21I haven't heard any stories about how JW's require people to plunk down large sums of money to continue the "treatment" or the "path" or whatever the F*ck it is. Sure, the JW's might pass around the collection plate a couple of times, but still. I'm going to go with Scientology on that one.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21not really but i'm kind of surpised that the scientologists didnt recruit him first since they seem to be geared towards people with lots of scratch. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/balla-22.gif" alt="" 21 on that note, which do you guys think is worse scientology or the jw's? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I have no problem with JW. They are very mellow, looking to create one on conversations. I have not found them pushy, but if you give them a chance they will try to convert you. b, 21b, 21I watched some JW who spend every Wed afternoon in Waterfront park. They bring a few bag lunches and read scriptures to those who want them. The guys who I saw listening to them said they were happy to have someone read to them. One guy said he couldn't read because of a head injury and welcomes the chance to hear someone read. b, 21b, 21As for Scientology, I have only witnessed negative behavior and results.b, 21b, 21Finally, Only a fool would say, of all the people who have read scripture, I am (or my religion is) the only one who understands the Book. b, 21b, 21I have no patiences for my religion is right, yours is wrong.