accidental roadkill creation

karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
AKA running over some random furry creature that darts out at exactly the wrong moment and runs directly under your wheel, no matter how fast you hit the brakes. horrible sickening "thump" sound and lurch of the car as you run the poor thing over (whatever it was). Ive been driving since 1986 and did this for the first time today. ugh!

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    The only one I'm aware of having done in was a poor box turtle, my 1st or 2nd time driving... scared as hell cuz I had a raging maniac driver's ed teacher barking at me, and of course it was probably totally avoidable (they do not move fast) but I was too inexperienced to react properly.b, 21b, 21I've actually been thinking about it this wknd because I just heard a story on NPR from a guy who spoke of narrowly avoiding a box turtle on the highway in NC (where I'm at) and trying to come back for it, only to find that he was too late...

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Yeah, I got this out the way early, first time in a stick shift and took out a hare. Accidentally sped up but it was probably better that way.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I ran over a huge frog once with my skateboard which was splattered with guts afterwards... gross.b, 21It happened after dark going downhill some country road, didn't see it coming and also wiped out pretty bad in the process.b, 21Never hit anything big with a car.b, 21I've driven through Texas twice and the amount of roadkill you see really makes you worry. Especially the size of most animals, a deer can kill you if you hit it at a bad angle.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Just wait until you hit a deer. Now that's an awful feeling.

• i should put this in the mischevious childhood memories thread, but at dusk we used to throw/roll small stuffed animals across this 35mph residential street that was fairly busy. the key was not to make them bounce.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Especially the size of most animals, a deer can kill you if you hit it at a bad angle. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21If you hit a moose, you knock it's legs out and the whole body smashes through the windshield killing/maiming everyone inside the car, serious bummer.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Especially the size of most animals, a deer can kill you if you hit it at a bad angle. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21If you hit a moose, you knock it's legs out and the whole body smashes through the windshield killing/maiming everyone inside the car, serious bummer. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21mynd you, m????se bites kan be pretty nasti...

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I think taking out a Bald Eagle would probably be the worst. Especially if it was swooping to get some little shrew that just made it in front of your car. Gutted!

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    hasn't happened to me yet, but i have been the car directly in back of a car that did. saw a cat dart from under a parked car and the car in front of me just nailed it, leaving a mangled kitty carcass for me to maneuver around. it was not pretty.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Especially the size of most animals, a deer can kill you if you hit it at a bad angle. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21If you hit a moose, you knock it's legs out and the whole body smashes through the windshield killing/maiming everyone inside the car, serious bummer. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21mynd you, m????se bites kan be pretty nasti... b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/funnypost.gif" alt="" 21