Lee Atwater

Mad Drama TeacherMad Drama Teacher 1,985 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
I'm watching a show on PBS featuring this guy.b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21

Comments

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I'm watching a show on PBS featuring this guy.b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21F*ck that bitch. Straight up cultural pollution.

• When's it gonna be rerun?b, 21b, 21I remember that guy - much of the press about him centered around his racist policies, yet loved classic soul music so (he used to play guitar with Lee Dorsey in the sixties, organized an R&B revue at the White House during the elder Bush's regime, and even cut an album featuring many of the same folks who were at that show - Billy Preston, Sam Moore, etc.).

• I'm not sure when it'll be rerun.b, 21b, 21Chuck Jackson is on the show and swears by the guy.

• Yeah I can't believe Atwater was on the Board at Howard University.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21When's it gonna be rerun?b, 21b, 21I remember that guy - much of the press about him centered around his racist policies, yet loved classic soul music so (he used to play guitar with Lee Dorsey in the sixties, organized an R&B revue at the White House during the elder Bush's regime, and even cut an album featuring many of the same folks who were at that show - Billy Preston, Sam Moore, etc.). b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I didn't know his soul credentials were so strong. b, 21b, 21I thought he was an Elvis intimidater.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21When's it gonna be rerun?b, 21b, 21I remember that guy - much of the press about him centered around his racist policies, yet loved classic soul music so (he used to play guitar with Lee Dorsey in the sixties, organized an R&B revue at the White House during the elder Bush's regime, and even cut an album featuring many of the same folks who were at that show - Billy Preston, Sam Moore, etc.). b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I didn't know his soul credentials were so strong. b, 21b, 21I thought he was an Elvis intimidater. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Well, I never knew about his love for Elvis, but from eyewitness accounts of that White House show, Atwater could have just as easily made a name for himself on the blues circuit if he wanted to.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21...and even cut an album featuring many of the same folks who were at that show - Billy Preston, Sam Moore, etc.)b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21 A link to the weirdness.

• Hmmm...I should be surprised that Atwater's album won a Grammy, but I'm even more shocked that [i]the disc is still in print.../i1b, 21b, 21As an aside, the disc was released on Curb, headed by Mike Curb, notorious Republican governor of California who also ran MGM in the early seventies...if you've noticed that there is a distinct lack of any hard rock acts on that label after 1970, Curb is the reason why...he intentionally skewed the label towards safer, Vegasy acts like the Osmonds and Sammy Davis, Jr..

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Lee Atwater

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Hmmm...I should be surprised that Atwater's album won a Grammy, but I'm even more shocked that [i]the disc is still in print.../i1b, 21b, 21As an aside, the disc was released on Curb, headed by Mike Curb, notorious Republican governor of California who also ran MGM in the early seventies...if you've noticed that there is a distinct lack of any hard rock acts on that label after 1970, Curb is the reason why...he intentionally skewed the label towards safer, Vegasy acts like the Osmonds and Sammy Davis, Jr.. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21wow. mike curb republican generation breaks!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    If there's a God, Karl Rove will end up with a grapefruit size brain tumor.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    The get of all gets comes near the end, where Ed Rollins talks how Atwater claimed to be reading the Bible near the end of his life as an act of penance and when they went to pack up his shit after he died they found the Bible still in cellophane. "Spinning right to the end", says Rollins. That's the GOP for you.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 Ed Rollins talks how Atwater claimed to be reading the Bible near the end of his life as an act of penance and when they went to pack up his shit after he died they found the Bible still in cellophane. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21REPUBLICAN COMEDY GOLD/b1

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21When's it gonna be rerun?b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21It'll be up on the Frontline site within a few days, and you can watch in full there.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21The get of all gets comes near the end, where Ed Rollins talks how Atwater claimed to be reading the Bible near the end of his life as an act of penance and when they went to pack up his shit after he died they found the Bible still in cellophane. "Spinning right to the end", says Rollins. That's the GOP for you. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21That part blew my mind.

• Lee atwater is a forerunner to karl rove. A relatively minor figure inflated to gross proportions by democrats to explain away their electoral failures. "Its not that the public believe we suck, its just that machiavellian genius X conned the public into believing we suck"b, 21b, 21Its time for democrats to man up. I know its more comforting to convince yourselves you were undone by a master of cunning than acknowledge you got walloped by George bush(TWICE!) but you need to get over it already.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    yah ghwb overcame a double digit poll deficit after the willie horton ad because america just plain realized it was conservative

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    "Conservatives" will murder and devour their own leaders rather than admit that their Sherman's-march-style of class warfare tactics work and are revolting. Claiming that Lee Atwater (and by direct implication, Karl Rove) are bogeymen of little consequence is plainly silly. Whither campaign managers, at that rate?b, 21b, 21I'm not going to tell anyone that David Axelrod is a useless lump in order to commandeer the conversation towards a masturbatory statement like "America is just left-of-center. Deal with it." Axelrod's direction of the Obama campaign was one of the major reasons Barack Obama won, and Karl Rove himself would give you a different assessment of Lee Atwater's efficacy, so why bother to argue to the contrapositive?

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I watched it too, great programb, 21b, 21img src="http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/604/hv1lp4.jpg"1b, 21b, 21http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/atwater//a1 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Huge Fontline fan.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Would McCain have won if Axelrod and Poulfe ran his campaign?b, 21b, 21Would Obama have lost if Davis and Schmidt ran his campaign?b, 21b, 21Would Gore & Kerry have won if Rove ran their campaigns?b, 21b, 21Would McCain have won if the economy hadn't tanked?b, 21b, 21Would McCain have won if national security was the central issue?b, 21b, 21If it was Clinton and Romney who would have won?b, 21b, 21Huckabee and Edwards?b, 21b, 21Palin and Biden?

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21When's it gonna be rerun?b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21It'll be up on the Frontline site within a few days, and you can watch in full there. b, 21b, 21h, 21 b, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 Due to rights restrictions, FRONTLINE cannot stream this program in its entirety. To purchase the full program, visit ShopPBS. b, 21b, 21h, 21 b, 21b, 21DB whats the deal? Will it be up or do i gotta get my torrent on?

• Knowing what I know now, this may be the same DVD that I remember seeing a review of lately...it implied that this doc may have glossed over his bad side...

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21When's it gonna be rerun?b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21It'll be up on the Frontline site within a few days, and you can watch in full there. b, 21b, 21h, 21 b, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 Due to rights restrictions, FRONTLINE cannot stream this program in its entirety. To purchase the full program, visit ShopPBS. b, 21b, 21h, 21 b, 21b, 21DB whats the deal? Will it be up or do i gotta get my torrent on? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Damn. Looks like they used some footage they couldn't get unrestricted rights to. Sorry, my dudes. Torrent away if you can find it.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Knowing what I know now, this may be the same DVD that I remember seeing a review of lately...it implied that this doc may have glossed over his bad side... b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Glossed over?!

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Knowing what I know now, this may be the same DVD that I remember seeing a review of lately...it implied that this doc may have glossed over his bad side... b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Glossed over?! b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21In other words, made him look too good, even when he's being goofy (like that hilarious story about the unopened Bible).b, 21b, 21That's what this one review I recall reading said.