New Stevie Wonder single

edited April 2005 in Strut Central
What's up everybody,On Saturday, I heard the new Stevie Wonder single on the radio. I think it's called "What's the Fuss," or something like that, and it is HOT HOT HOT. Kind of a throwback to his early- to mid-1970s work, the song, which is off his new album and features Prince on guitar, is built around thick and funky keyboard work by Stevie. While not terribly groundbreaking, the song is a midtempo floorburner. It's so great to hear some new stuff by Stevie. I'm excited to hear the rest of the album. Anyone else hear it yet?

Comments

• redgregredgreg 96 Posts
    Heard him do that track in Stockholm last july and it sounded pretty good, he made everyone join in on the chorus, will have to check out the album.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

i've been surprised no one has brought this up yet, i've been meaning to. i really really like this track. i'm a big stevie fan through '82 (+part-time lover, i gotta admit), but was not expecting much from this album. now that i've heard the single i'm pumped though. don't know if i'd call it a throw back style, it definitely has a r&b/hip-hop feel to it. i'm really curious to hear the rest of the album, and DEFINITELY want to check him out on tour (i'll be in tucson by then, hopefully he'll play phoenix). you can get the whole track for free at www.stevie-wonder.com by the way.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Am I the only one that doesn't like this track at all? Reeks of 90's pop.

• Am I the only one that doesn't like this track at all? Reeks of 90's pop.

I'm with you. It's pretty lame.

I also think its pretty symptomatic of the cynically packaged times that we live in that there are two versions of the song doing the rounds on the radio at the moment. One has rap verses for the yoof radio and one just has the crooning for the MOR stations. You either want that shit on there or not, half measures like this smack of the whiff of corporate cock and the sucking thereof.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Am I the only one that doesn't like this track at all? Reeks of 90's pop.

I'm with you. It's pretty lame.

I also think its pretty symptomatic of the cynically packaged times that we live in that there are two versions of the song doing the rounds on the radio at the moment. One has rap verses for the yoof radio and one just has the crooning for the MOR stations. You either want that shit on there or not, half measures like this smack of the whiff of corporate cock and the sucking thereof.

i had no idea there was a version with verses on it. that's kind of disappointing. who's on it anyways?

5 minute in the future me who read the old thread answers: it's q-tip.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Almost every crossover R&B song with raps on it has had a rapless version on the single for the past ten years, thats nothing new - its the way this has always been done

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    This Stevie Wonder guy is ok but he's no John Legend.