Is the Baby Boomer era officially over?

1235»

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21You tech 35+ year olds? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Haha! Good point.b, 21b, 21I'm saying that each generation is getting poorer at reading, writing, and thinking critically/b1 . b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Yo,b, 21b, 21I'm amazed at how rote and robotic (cognitively) Gen Y is. Reading skills are strongly correlated with analytic ability. These (college) kids cannot analyze information and generate creative solutions for shit. It's like I need to bring f*cking building blocks to class to teach. You can silence a class by merely asking "why?" To help them, I'll say "forget the textbook, think. Why do you think [whatever the topic] occurred and how would you rectify the situation?" All you get is "duh" looks. Actually, data from the National Assessment of Educational Progress has shown that the average scores on basic skills tests are going down. So, a "dumbing down" is occurring in exact contradiction to the heralded "Flynn effect" which posits IQ gains across successive generations.b, 21b, 21Peace,b, 21b, 21Big Stacks from Kakalak

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21You tech 35+ year olds? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Haha! Good point.b, 21b, 21I'm saying that each generation is getting poorer at reading, writing, and thinking critically/b1 . b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Yo,b, 21b, 21I'm amazed at how rote and robotic (cognitively) Gen Y is. Reading skills are strongly correlated with analytic ability. These (college) kids cannot analyze information and generate creative solutions for shit. It's like I need to bring f*cking building blocks to class to teach. You can silence a class by merely asking "why?" To help them, I'll say "forget the textbook, think. Why do you think [whatever the topic] occurred and how would you rectify the situation?" All you get is "duh" looks. Actually, data from the National Assessment of Educational Progress has shown that the average scores on basic skills tests are going down. So, a "dumbing down" is occurring in exact contradiction to the heralded "Flynn effect" which posits IQ gains across successive generations.b, 21b, 21Peace,b, 21b, 21Big Stacks from Kakalak b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Flynn Effect = bogus?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21You tech 35+ year olds? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Haha! Good point.b, 21b, 21I'm saying that each generation is getting poorer at reading, writing, and thinking critically/b1 . b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Yo,b, 21b, 21I'm amazed at how rote and robotic (cognitively) Gen Y is. Reading skills are strongly correlated with analytic ability. These (college) kids cannot analyze information and generate creative solutions for shit. It's like I need to bring f*cking building blocks to class to teach. You can silence a class by merely asking "why?" To help them, I'll say "forget the textbook, think. Why do you think [whatever the topic] occurred and how would you rectify the situation?" All you get is "duh" looks. Actually, data from the National Assessment of Educational Progress has shown that the average scores on basic skills tests are going down. So, a "dumbing down" is occurring in exact contradiction to the heralded "Flynn effect" which posits IQ gains across successive generations.b, 21b, 21Peace,b, 21b, 21Big Stacks from Kakalak b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Flynn Effect = bogus? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21It's looking that way from the National Assessment of Educational Progress Verbal, Math, and Science scores. Also, our world ranking in basic skills is around the mid 20s. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oof.gif" alt="" 21 I guess that's why Dubya served 2 terms.b, 21b, 21Peace,b, 21b, 21Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Yeah, it's pretty crazy.b, 21b, 21Obviously my biggest problem as an English teacher is simply getting students to read their assignments. I honestly don't have an answer. I'm completely unwilling to turn myself into a clown for the sake of selling a book, which is about what it takes.b, 21b, 21The only remedy I've found is to have students read in class. They hate this, and I'm not a big fan of it either. Interestingly, though, the more we read in class, the more my students seem to be interested in reading the upcoming assignments. A few of them have asked if they can take home the old textbooks to read the stories we don't get around to.b, 21b, 21I've also seen positive gains in writing quality as students get to see how talented writers put together more complex sentences.b, 21b, 21I really wish I didn't have to waste so much class time with reading, but if this is what it takes...

• Even more crazy, one of the teachers at my school insists on the benefits of reading to her students -- she uses some research to support this method.b, 21b, 21It seems completely unreal to me that you'd read to high school students.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Yeah, it's pretty crazy.b, 21b, 21Obviously my biggest problem as an English teacher is simply getting students to read their assignments. I honestly don't have an answer. I'm completely unwilling to turn myself into a clown for the sake of selling a book, which is about what it takes.b, 21b, 21The only remedy I've found is to have students read in class. They hate this, and I'm not a big fan of it either. Interestingly, though, the more we read in class, the more my students seem to be interested in reading the upcoming assignments. A few of them have asked if they can take home the old textbooks to read the stories we don't get around to.b, 21b, 21I've also seen positive gains in writing quality as students get to see how talented writers put together more complex sentences.b, 21b, 21I really wish I didn't have to waste so much class time with reading, but if this is what it takes... b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I read to the class up until 12th grade. It helps w/ public speaking as well.b, 21b, 21When did this disintegrate?

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Yeah, it's pretty crazy.b, 21b, 21Obviously my biggest problem as an English teacher is simply getting students to read their assignments. I honestly don't have an answer. I'm completely unwilling to turn myself into a clown for the sake of selling a book, which is about what it takes.b, 21b, 21The only remedy I've found is to have students read in class. They hate this, and I'm not a big fan of it either. Interestingly, though, the more we read in class, the more my students seem to be interested in reading the upcoming assignments. A few of them have asked if they can take home the old textbooks to read the stories we don't get around to.b, 21b, 21I've also seen positive gains in writing quality as students get to see how talented writers put together more complex sentences.b, 21b, 21I really wish I didn't have to waste so much class time with reading, but if this is what it takes... b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I read to the class up until 12th grade. It helps w/ public speaking as well.b, 21b, 21When did this disintegrate? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21When did what disintegrate?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Yeah, it's pretty crazy.b, 21b, 21Obviously my biggest problem as an English teacher is simply getting students to read their assignments. I honestly don't have an answer. I'm completely unwilling to turn myself into a clown for the sake of selling a book, which is about what it takes.b, 21b, 21The only remedy I've found is to have students read in class. They hate this, and I'm not a big fan of it either. Interestingly, though, the more we read in class, the more my students seem to be interested in reading the upcoming assignments. A few of them have asked if they can take home the old textbooks to read the stories we don't get around to.b, 21b, 21I've also seen positive gains in writing quality as students get to see how talented writers put together more complex sentences.b, 21b, 21I really wish I didn't have to waste so much class time with reading, but if this is what it takes... b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I read to the class up until 12th grade. It helps w/ public speaking as well.b, 21b, 21When did this disintegrate? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21When did what disintegrate? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21I see.

• said the blind man who could not see at all...

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Yeah, it's pretty crazy.b, 21b, 21Obviously my biggest problem as an English teacher is simply getting students to read their assignments. I honestly don't have an answer. I'm completely unwilling to turn myself into a clown for the sake of selling a book, which is about what it takes.b, 21b, 21The only remedy I've found is to have students read in class. They hate this, and I'm not a big fan of it either. Interestingly, though, the more we read in class, the more my students seem to be interested in reading the upcoming assignments. A few of them have asked if they can take home the old textbooks to read the stories we don't get around to.b, 21b, 21I've also seen positive gains in writing quality as students get to see how talented writers put together more complex sentences.b, 21b, 21I really wish I didn't have to waste so much class time with reading, but if this is what it takes... b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I read to the class up until 12th grade. It helps w/ public speaking as well.b, 21b, 21When did this disintegrate? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21When did what disintegrate? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21I see. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Haha!