Thank you "insert city"! Concert crowds related.

DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
Which city has the best live music fans? I'm talking about enthusiastic crowds that raise hell when called for, shut up during the quiet bits and in general know their stuff. b, 21I grew up in Atlanta which I always thought had pretty good crowds except for the occasional show when the redneck factor was high. Enough shows came trough town that we knew what was up but we weren't completely jaded either.b, 21Went to school in Athens, GA which (at least when I was there) had amazing crowds especially for dancy/party bands. b, 21Later I lived in London (UK), Cleveland, Los Angeles and DC. b, 21Cleveland audiences rocked (really). Very enthusiastic crowds especially at big rock shows.b, 21In London, LA and DC it really depends on the show. I've seen great crowds in all three places but a lot of times the crowds there are too cool for school. I remember one Macy Gray industry gig at the House of Blues in LA where she was just tearing it up and the crowd completely ignored her. It was me and twenty others at the front of the stage while the rest of the audience traded business cards and hit the buffet.b, 21Where do you think the best crowds are? Musicians please chime in.

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    NYC fans are off the hook if they are into the band. Most welcoming town ever, this includes the nearby Jersey fans (Hoboken/New Brunswick related).b, 21b, 21Las Vegas crowds are incredible if they are locals, at least when I lived there, I think because at the time, late 90s, there were so few local-focused venues that when there was a show people were just so grateful and appreciative. Can't say if that's changed, I imagine it has. Maybe it's me and the fact that I am old, but crowds at shows I am likely to attend aren't prone to gushing affection and hysteria anymore.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    In Seattle a show needs to be all-ages to have any sort of energy. Too many 2 kool 4 skool types otherwise.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21In Seattle a show needs to be all-ages to have any sort of energy. Too many 2 kool 4 skool types otherwise. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21When I was in college the drinking age was 18 which (for better or worse ) helped with crowd energy.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    man I'll bet! 21+ as long as I can remember here, not sure when it was different...we used to head to Canada LOLb, 21b, 21seattle has some draconian laws.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I grew up in DC. Went to a ton of shows in HS and right after. b, 21b, 21I thought DC had the absolutely best audiences. We always gave the artist a "Big DC Welcome!". And the artist always said how DC was their favorite place to play (had the best audience).b, 21b, 21Next place I saw live shows was Tulsa. I was surprised to find out the they had Big Tulsa Welcomes! that sounded just like the DC ones. I was also surprised to hear someone I had just heard in DC (Leo Kottke?) say that Tulsa was his favorite place to play with the exact same words he had used in DC. b, 21b, 21I have heard very few shows where the artist were actually responding to the audience. I have heard very few shows where the artist plays with more intensity or better because of the audience. When I have I think it has always been a small club, coffee house type show.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Texas always has the best shows.b, 21b, 21It helps that half the audience is armed.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21NYC fans are off the hook if they are into the band. Most welcoming town ever, this includes the nearby Jersey fans[/b] (Hoboken/New Brunswick related).b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Oh hell yes.

• I used to follow the Dead around in college (and after) and although 75% of their audiences were from out of town you could definitely detect subtle differences in different venues across the country. Some examples from my eyes (this would be from 1982-90):b, 211) Northeast (NYC, Philly, Boston) crowds tended to be harder.b, 212) Indianapolis, Iowa City and Santa Fe had the nicest crowds and venue staff.b, 213) Cleveland has lots of bikers.b, 214) North Carolina and Virginia had nice crowds but the local cops weren't quite sure what to make of the whole thing.b, 215) The Capital Centre in suburban DC had by way the worst security I've ever dealt with although I heard horror stories from Hartford.b, 216) Wisconsin had very friendly locals (metal heads excepted) and the cheapest beer.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21small club, coffee house type show. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21OH HELL YES img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="" 21 I think it often happens when a band or musician ends up, for whatever reason, playing on a much smaller stage/venue than they are used to and they remember what fun it is and tear it up. The crowd aren't necessarily more intense but their proximity makes a difference.