Guided by Voices

Mad Drama TeacherMad Drama Teacher 1,985 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
Wish I had discovered this band earlier.b, 21b, 21They remind me of early 'Mats.b, 21b, 21Anyone like them?

Comments

• Big fan... SW Ohio standup!b, 21b, 21'Alien Lanes,' is my shit.b, 21And, I love 'Don't Stop Now'.b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Can't say enough about GbV and Bobby P. I have a pair of his old jeans in the closet.

• I'm watching a clip of them on the Jon Stewart show from 1995. "Motor Away" -- what a song.b, 21b, 21You must have seen them in concert at some point?

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I'm watching a clip of them on the Jon Stewart show from 1995. "Motor Away" -- what a song.b, 21b, 21You must have seen them in concert at some point? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Probably around 5 times. b, 21So drunk... A friend was a bouncer at a bar they played, and said only The Pogues drank more.b, 21b, 21Those shows were marathons of drunken debauchery.... if the drummer was too drunk, the show would be shit.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Great band. People should definitely cop the best of cd that came out a couple years ago, gives a good, listenable overview.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Can't say enough about GbV and Bobby P. I have a pair of his old jeans in the closet. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohmyer1.gif" alt="" 21

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Alien Lanes is a great album.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Alien Lanes is a great album. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Yes. Does anything else of theirs match up? Headz need to know the real.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Alien Lanes is a great album. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Yes. Does anything else of theirs match up? Headz need to know the real. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21'Bee Thousand' does... those are there two best, and that is a generally agreed upon opinion.b, 21b, 21b, 21'Under the Bushes, Under the Stars,' is also up there for me.b, 21b, 21A lot of people didn't love, 'Isolation Drills,' but I dug it- to me, it is what they wanted to be back in the early 90s, if they could have afforded, you know... production? 'Glad Girls,' is f*cking tremendous as a single.b, 21b, 21'Propeller,' is their breakthrough, and the one that will get you a couple mortgage payments from hardcore collectros.b, 21b, 21b, 21As far as singles go, the 7" of 'My Valuable Hunting Knife,' is great- the drum reverb KILLS it.b, 21b, 21'Teenage FBI,' is a KILLER song, though 'Do the Collapse,' as an album ain't much.b, 21b, 21Really, he is so prolific, it is tough to keep up... but, those essentials and a few collectd songs will get most everyone most of what they need.

• Great band and totally underated like Sloan or Teenage Fanclub.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 I have a pair of his old jeans in the closet. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoa.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Alien Lanes is a great album. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Yes. Does anything else of theirs match up? Headz need to know the real. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21'Bee Thousand' does... those are there two best, and that is a generally agreed upon opinion.b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Agreed. I prefer "Bee Thousand."

• Yeah, Bee Thousand is definitely the best. When these guys are on, their pop sensibilities rival the best of them. Unfortunately, there catalog is so vast a lot of their stuff is somewhat mediocre. b, 21b, 21Also, I think they should be given props for their production techniques and DIY ethics.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    striped white jets!!

• Did anyone happen to attend the event in Brooklyn a year or two ago where bands took turns covering one song off of, I believe, Alien Lanes? Robert Pollard was in attendance. There was one set of equipment so bands could just quickly jump up and play. b, 21b, 21I dropped the ball and missed it which still makes me kick myself as GBV is one of my band's biggest influences. We woulda killed that sh*t. b, 21b, 21I want to start a new life ... with myyyyyy valuable hunting knife

• Im kinda ehhhh on GBV....b, 21b, 21I prefer their evil cousin, form my neck of the woods, The Griftersb, 21http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:azfuxq85ldhe~T1