Comments

• Damn. I just started rewatching COMA last night. I never read his books but the movies based on them were often fun - even great - and a big part of my childhood: COMA, ANDROMEDA STRAIN, WESTWORLD, LOOKER, and I heard JURASSIC PARK was good even though I never saw it.b,121b,121RIP

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121WESTWORLD, b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121ah yeah! i just re-watched that recently and forgot he wrote AND directed it. the shot of the hovercraft pilot with the desert reflection in his sunglasses is so next level.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    RIP. I've never read his books, but seen a fair share of Chrichton film adaptations, by himself or others.b,121Always enjoyed his stories.b,121b,121I saw "Westworld" when I was around 10. Yul Brunner gave me nightmares.b,121I just saw "The Andromeda Strain" for the first time a couple of months ago. The thing I liked the most about it was that the script took the subject seriously. The dialogue was plausible science talk and not of the usual hollywood "insert techno babble here" variety. This also makes it a bit long-winded for the average viewer, but I enjoyed it. I doubt they'll keep that tone in the remake.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121I just saw "The Andromeda Strain" for the first time a couple of months ago. The thing I liked the most about it was that the script took the subject seriously. The dialogue was plausible science talk and not of the usual hollywood "insert techno babble here" variety. This also makes it a bit long-winded for the average viewer, but I enjoyed it. I doubt they'll keep that tone in the remake. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121this was published while he was still in medical school, so very likely he was drawing on what he was learning

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I doubt they'll keep that tone in the remake. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Whoops, I thought it was a feature length that hadn't come out yet. I see now that it's a TV series (directed by my countryman Mikael Salomon) and it's already aired. Any good?

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121I doubt they'll keep that tone in the remake. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Whoops, I thought it was a feature length that hadn't come out yet. I see now that it's a TV series (directed by my countryman Mikael Salomon) and it's already aired. Any good? b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121it was a feature length in 1971

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121I doubt they'll keep that tone in the remake. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Whoops, I thought it was a feature length that hadn't come out yet. I see now that it's a TV series (directed by my countryman Mikael Salomon) and it's already aired. Any good? b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121it was a feature length in 1971 b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121I know, what I meant was that I thought the remake was a big-screen feature length too and I wasn't aware that it had already aired on TV.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121I doubt they'll keep that tone in the remake. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Whoops, I thought it was a feature length that hadn't come out yet. I see now that it's a TV series (directed by my countryman Mikael Salomon) and it's already aired. Any good? b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121The TV Miniseries remake was apparently really bad. I loved the 1971 version when I was a kid, but it doesn't really stand the test of time for me.b,121b,121I wish him peace in passing, but his books were really bad. I read far too many of them when I was young and uncritical. Dude couldn't write an ending to save his life. I challenge anyone to read the book Sphere and not want to punch someone in the face by the end. b, 21b, 21His autobiography/travelogue Travels was pretty good though, although it definitely reminded me why I can't stand Med Students.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121I doubt they'll keep that tone in the remake. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Whoops, I thought it was a feature length that hadn't come out yet. I see now that it's a TV series (directed by my countryman Mikael Salomon) and it's already aired. Any good? b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121it was a feature length in 1971 b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121I know, what I meant was that I thought the remake was a big-screen feature length too and I wasn't aware that it had already aired on TV. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121ooohhhh b, 21b, 21and as for poor reviews on the remake series, what do you expect when they cast Will from Will and Grace?

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121I doubt they'll keep that tone in the remake. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Whoops, I thought it was a feature length that hadn't come out yet. I see now that it's a TV series (directed by my countryman Mikael Salomon) and it's already aired. Any good? b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121The TV Miniseries remake was apparently really bad. I loved the 1971 version when I was a kid, but it doesn't really stand the test of time for me.b,121b,121I wish him peace in passing, but his books were really bad. I read far too many of them when I was young and uncritical. Dude couldn't write an ending to save his life. I challenge anyone to read the book Sphere and not want to punch someone in the face by the end. b, 21b, 21His autobiography/travelogue Travels was pretty good though, although it definitely reminded me why I can't stand Med Students. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121Agreed, RIP to dude and sympathy to his family, but as a writer he was a hack.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    One of my favorite authors of my childhood, and one of the only authors besides Road Dahl that I had a strong interest in reading. I remember finishing "The Sphere" and "Terminal Man" in no time. Some of my favorite books of all time, matter of fact. Reat in Peace to an icon. This is sad.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121One of my favorite authors of my childhood, and one of the only authors besides Road Dahl that I had a strong interest in reading. I remember finishing "The Sphere" and "Terminal Man" in no time. Some of my favorite books of all time, matter of fact. Reat in Peace to an icon. This is sad. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I don't find this surprising in the least.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121a strong interest in readingb, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121In Crichton's defense, I will say his pulpy drivel is very approachable and has probably inspired a few people to start reading for pleasure, an event I heartily endorse. Did you ever see the episode of King of the Hill with Snoop Dogg? I always though it was funny that Peggy gives Tammy Duvall a copy of Congo.b, 21b,121 img src="http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5557/kohhoyeahgs3.jpg"1

• I doubt they'll keep that tone in the remake.

Whoops, I thought it was a feature length that hadn't come out yet. I see now that it's a TV series (directed by my countryman Mikael Salomon) and it's already aired. Any good?

The TV Miniseries remake was apparently really bad. I loved the 1971 version when I was a kid, but it doesn't really stand the test of time for me.

I wish him peace in passing, but his books were really bad. I read far too many of them when I was young and uncritical. Dude couldn't write an ending to save his life. I challenge anyone to read the book Sphere and not want to punch someone in the face by the end.

His autobiography/travelogue Travels was pretty good though, although it definitely reminded me why I can't stand Med Students.

Agreed, RIP to dude and sympathy to his family, but as a writer he was a hack.

RIP, but i have to agree.

When someone says they read crichton novels it is akin to someone saying their favorite director is michael bey.

But the guy just died, so I will say I enjoyed coma and andromeda strain when i read them in 6th grade.

• a strong interest in reading

In Crichton's defense, I will say his pulpy drivel is very approachable and has probably inspired a few people to start reading for pleasure, an event I heartily endorse.

So your saying, his legacy is that he created a market for Dan Brown.

a strong interest in reading

In Crichton's defense, I will say his pulpy drivel is very approachable and has probably inspired a few people to start reading for pleasure, an event I heartily endorse.

So you're saying, his legacy is that he created a market for Dan Brown.

Ha ha. They're definitely on the same branch of literature's cladogram.

• reading for pleasure

...I think this goes a long way to showing that Americans (in general) no longer consider reading a form of entertainment. I do, and I found Crichton's novels damn entertaining. I'm surprised it took this long for the strut-hatt to start. RIP.

P.S. Dan Brown is in no way to comparable to Crichton, except that they were both popular.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    damn, book snobs. I loved his books. They were fun page turners. sheesh.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    R.I.P.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I doubt they'll keep that tone in the remake. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Whoops, I thought it was a feature length that hadn't come out yet. I see now that it's a TV series (directed by my countryman Mikael Salomon) and it's already aired. Any good? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21The TV Miniseries remake was apparently really bad. I loved the 1971 version when I was a kid, but it doesn't really stand the test of time for me.b, 21b, 21I wish him peace in passing, but his books were really bad. I read far too many of them when I was young and uncritical. Dude couldn't write an ending to save his life. I challenge anyone to read the book Sphere and not want to punch someone in the face by the end. b, 21b, 21His autobiography/travelogue Travels was pretty good though, although it definitely reminded me why I can't stand Med Students. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Agreed, RIP to dude and sympathy to his family, but as a writer he was a hack. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21RIP, but i have to agree.b, 21b, 21When someone says they read crichton novels it is akin to someone saying their favorite director is michael bey.b, 21b, 21But the guy just died, so I will say I enjoyed coma and andromeda strain when i read them in 6th grade. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21RIP to a guy who laid a lot of future foundations with Westworld, a hugely entertaining movie. Without wanting to kick a guy who died days ago I have to say that as a writer Crichton made a good director. I didn't read much of his work but what I did answered a lot of questions about why so many of his novels were adapted for the screen; some great ideas in there but they read like screenplays with absolutely zero character depth.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 some great ideas in there but they read like screenplays with absolutely zero character depth. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I should probably not post in my current state, as I'm almost certainly about to stick a foot in my mouth, but this statement really cuts to what I'm saying about Crichton. He had really interesting ideas. I love authors who really put a bit of science into sci-fi, but after setting up an interesting premise, he never seemed to be able to resolve the novel in a satisfying manner.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21One of my favorite authors of my childhood, and one of the only authors besides Road Dahl that I had a strong interest in reading. I remember finishing "The Sphere" and "Terminal Man" in no time. Some of my favorite books of all time, matter of fact. Reat in Peace to an icon. This is sad. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I don't find this surprising in the least. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21I had a big imagination. I also liked Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles and Farenheit 451. So knock it off you stupid son of a bitch. And stop detracting from what this post is about.