Russia to deploy missles in Europe

twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
a href="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article5090077.ece" target="_blank"1http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article5090077.eceb, 21b, 21President Dmitri Medvedev took advantage of the euphoria in America today to order the deployment of missiles inside Europe as a response to US plans for a missile defence shield.b,121b,121Speaking within hours of Barack Obama's election as the new US President, Mr Medvedev announced that Russia would base Iskander missiles in its Baltic exclave of Kaliningrad next to the border with Poland.b,121b,121He did not say whether the short-range missiles would carry nuclear warheads. Mr Medvedev also cancelled earlier plans to withdraw three intercontinental ballistic missile regiments from western Russia.b,121b,121"An Iskander missile system will be deployed in the Kaliningrad region to neutralise if necessary the anti-ballistic missile system in Europe," Mr Medvedev said in his first state-of-the-nation address.b,121b,121He added that Russia was also ready to deploy its navy and to install electronic jamming devices to interfere with the US shield, which involves the deployment of a radar station in the Czech Republic and 10 interceptor missiles in Poland.b,121b,121His announcement prompted a burst of applause from government ministers and parliamentary deputies assembled in the Kremlin. The President failed to congratulate Mr Obama or even to mention him by name during his 85-minute state of the nation address televised live across Russia.b,121b,121Instead, in a criticism directed at the US, Mr Medvedev declared: "Mechanisms must be created to block mistaken, egoistical and sometimes simply dangerous decisions of certain members of the international community."b, 21b,121He accused the West of seeking to encircle Russia and blamed the US for encouraging Georgia's "barbaric aggression" in the war over South Ossetia in August. He issued a warning that Russia would "not back down in the Caucasus".b,121b,121"The August crisis only accelerated the arrival of the crucial moment of truth. We proved, including to those who had been sponsoring the current regime in Georgia, that we are strong enough to defend our citizens and that we can indeed defend our national interests," Mr Medvedev said.b,121b,121"What we've had to deal with in the last few years - the construction of a global missile defence system, the encirclement of Russia by military blocs, unrestrained NATO enlargement and other 'gifts'... The impression is we are being tested to the limit."b, 21b,121Outgoing President George W. Bush insists that the missile shield is aimed at rogue states such as Iran. But the plan has infuriated Moscow, which argues that it threatens Russia's security and that the US is ignoring its concerns.b,121b,121Mr Medvedev said that Russia had been forced to cancel its plans to withdraw the ballistic missiles, which have a range of 6,200 miles. He said: "We have told our partners more than once that we want positive cooperation, we want to act together to combat common threats, that we want to act together. But they, unfortunately, don't want to listen to us."b, 21b,121In his only reference to the US election, he said that he hoped the new administration would work to repair its relationship with Moscow. He said: "I stress that we have no problem with the American people, no inborn anti-Americanism. And we hope that our partners, the US administration, will make a choice in favour of full-fledged relations with Russia."b, 21b,121Mr Medvedev blamed the US for the global financial crisis, saying that the rest of the world had been "dragged down with it into recession". He claimed that the era of American domination after the collapse of the Soviet Union was now over.b,121b,121"The world cannot be ruled from one capital. Those who do not want to understand this will only create new problems for themselves and others," he said.b,121b,121Mr Medvedev, who was elected in March, also set out proposals to extend the presidential term from four years to six. He did not say whether the reform would apply to his current term.

Comments

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Much of this feels like grandstanding, but apparently Harvey Canal isn't the only one who thinks Russia should be worried about an Obama administration.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Much of this feels like grandstanding, but apparently Harvey Canal isn't the only one who thinks Russia should be worried about an Obama administration. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I don't Russia is worried as much as Putin and Co. were seizing an opportunity to pull some shit.b,121b,121NATO hopefully will say/ do something

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    the US is selling poland a missile defense system, and a C4ISR system. And we are selling a complete C4ISR system to Bulgaria as we speak, and potentially Romania as well.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    The Obama election was an item on state-owned Russian TV after 47 minutes of national news. Newly installed Iskander rockets can reach Copenhagen with the push of a button.b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Nnnnnnnnice.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    To my ears, this was a positive speech, but with the right amount of expected bravado - the guy can't look soft talking to his own people... to say "Russians are not born hating America" - what does that mean to you?b, 21b, 21To me it's the clearest message that while there seemed to be no dialogue available with Bush, he wants it known that he holds no grudges, but the simple fact of the matter is, and the meat of the speech, 'somebody puts a gun in my neighbour's back yard and aims it at my house, I'm going to have to take action'[/b]. Russia surely has some reason to feel defensive here, right?. b, 21b, 21The 'missle shield' (surely one of the great oxymorons of modern times right there) has arrived with very little provocation, yet this looks like a step into the past, a cold-war mindset[/b]. If America is really that worried about ballistic missles coming out of the middle east, surely (a) America hold the sales receipts, and (b) wouldn't Russia be equally concerned? Let's pretend there is a genuine threat. Why not ask Russia first about ways to co-operate in making a missle defense system? If Russia had economic stakes in Venezuela say, and let's say Chavez started aggressively re-nationalising Russian investments, how would America react to Russian arms in Mexico, or, oooh, I dunno, Cuba?b, 21b, 21b, 21Aside from dealing with the fragmentation of former USSR countries (heavy-handedly or not, it almost seems like a subjective question as both sides are going to say they're in the right), what exactly has Russia done that any foreign policy expert worth his salt couldn't predict? Russia has hardly done anything to suggest they're a threat to Europe, let alone the US. They don't seem a likely candidate for pressing the button. On the other hand, if you were to take a poll around the world, and particularly Europe (where all these missles are being parked, so yeah, we kind of feel that we have an opinion in all this), who do you think would come out labelled as the aggressor that wants to start a potentially catastrophic mess? 4 days ago, I think that would have been an easy question to answer. I'm hoping Obama is going to make it very difficult. Finally, what's to argue with this: b, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21"We have told our partners more than once that we want positive cooperation, we want to act together to combat common threats, that we want to act together. But they, unfortunately, don't want to listen to us."b, 21b, 21h, 21

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Well said Duderonomy.b, 21b, 21Now all that's needed is a self-loathing xenophobic cracker like Vitaminge to come out with the usual one-eyed drivel and tell you that you're wrong.b, 21b, 21And that will be proof that your analysis is correct.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    I don't doubt for Planck time that the current generation of Russian capitalist-minded citizens would sell out their communist political ideals for hip-hop and opiates, just lke the West.b, 21b, 21Plus, thanks to much of their money been invested overseas, they don't have the fiscal resource to counter any "Western" military threat if they stop playing ball with the west. Putinesque chest-puffing will not keep me awake at night.b, 21b, 21I will rest easy when Afghanistan and the Middle East is publicly clamouring for more Clownburgers and MTV Base 24/7.

I just want to say that I'm disappointed in myself for such an unsuccessful Harvey-baiting attempt.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    This has Brzezinski written all over it.

Vindicated!

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21This has Brzezinski written all over it. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Ha! I knew this was coming.

• you dudes shouldve listened to dolo and joe biden.