iriver mp3 players

anasarcasmanasarcasm 365 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Hi, I'm thinking of getting one of those iriver h340 mp3 players, and have heard mostly great things about them (friends, raj, kidgusto)Before I take the plunge, I was wondering a few things:1-can you play video on these? (it seems to play everything else)2-are the hd's expandable?3-are there any special attachments that you have to buy, or is the out-of-box package pretty inclusive?4-what is your favorite feature?5-drawbacks?thanks L

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    1-can you play video on these? (it seems to play everything else)
    no. mine doesn't. there is a new model though.
    2-are the hd's expandable?
    no
    3-are there any special attachments that you have to buy, or is the out-of-box package pretty inclusive?
    no, yes
    4-what is your favorite feature?
    recording directly. then, the radio tuner.
    5-drawbacks?
    none for me. but it takes tweeting for macs. (ax secret chimp)

• 1-can you play video on these? (it seems to play everything else)

you need the korean bios to do this. someone here posted a great link to an iriver forum with all the info on that and just about everything else you want to know about them. i'm very happy with my h-320. only accessory i bought was a good stereo condenser mic to do field recording.

• The H340 plays video if you flash it with the iRiver Korean firmware (operating system).

My H140 has worked great with Macs, no tweaking necessary.

It also plays gameboy games now that i've put the Rockbox firmware on it (coming eventually to the h300 series)

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    Yes they can play video.
    You can get info here:http://www.misticriver.net/

They are a good MP3 player not perfect but maybe as good as they get at the moment.

• www.misticriver.net has a great forum with lots of info.

I've had mine for 6 months now, I use it everyday with no problems.

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts

4-what is your favorite feature?

favorite feature is the recording line in. ability to record from the FM receiver. The fact that you can use this as an external hard drive, with no software required.rechargeable battery via usb or power adapter. also it has usb 2.0 capability.

5-drawbacks?

cant view the pictures and listen to music and kinf od slow loading somethings, but thats about it.

peas.

• I love it for the recording feature, though I do have problems with it sometimes.

If I record to .wav, sometimes the file gets corrupted and I can't play it back.

Using a Mac, there are often problems transfering files (it's designed for a PC). Sometimes when you copy them over an additional file is created for each one.. These extra files cause the player to load much longer than it should. What I do is hook it up to a PC and then delete all those files, which are actually hidden on a mac. Kind of a pain in the ass.

The internal mic is awesome, it sounds great. But when the player loads you can hear it loading on the recording. So if you're gonna use it for interviews or samples, you probably want to use an external mic.

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    just got the video to work on my H320. DOPE!

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    how easy/hard to change the battery? this is the one thing holding me back, i wish they had a replaceable battery option...then again, if it lasts 2/3 years, by then there will be something better and cheaper to buy

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    alright two questions:

1) where can u buy these in canada? (dont like buying stuff that costs that much online....radioshack only carries the h10 series...

2)whats the deal with the h10 20 gb version? any comments on that, it does look slick but can it play video like the h320 and h340?

3) wtf..the 320 is discontinued??