Music Appreciation Reference Frames

ThermosThermos 307 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
Disclaimer: This is some abstract musing on how people relate to art and music, and has no direct relevance or application to anything, so if you don't like talking this kind of art theory, be easy. I don't need to hear about how you think this is pointless nonsense.b, 21b, 21-- b,121b,121I've been thinkin recently about how different people appreciate music, and I get the feeling that many people understand music in terms of how an artist relates to performing their instrument. I think many jazz heads think this way. They criticize hip-hop by saying that the beatmakers have no talent because they're taking other peoples music. I think what they really seem to be saying is that they don't know how to appreciate music in which there is no artist-instrument-performance frame of reference. To hip-hop heads this in a non-issue. Music is judged on it's overall sonic effect without concern for how it's created.b,121b,121What I wanna know is: do other people think this is a reasonable assumption based on their own interactions with different kinds of music lovers, or is the artist-instrument-performance relationship not really a significant breaking point?

Comments

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I've actually been thinking a lot about the same topic:b,121b,121- Most listeners actually appreciate many different qualitys of music. The Fashion, the Style, Memories associated of times when listening to music, Technical nature, Mood, etc.. b, 21b, 21In relation to how I appreciate music, and how most people do.b,121b,121I'm a bboy, so I tend to think about how music relates to movement or what dance. b,121b,121I'm a musician, so I tend to appreciate things with a technicial level to it. Usually with my student glasses on learning and research in mind.b,121b,121I'm a DJ, so I tend to appreciate things without a technicial level to it, but will muse on my thoughts of how a crowd would appreciate it.. b, 21b, 21Your line of thinking isn't to unreasonable, It's just not encompassing enough of the opinions of NON Music lovers like you and me.b,121b,121- spidey

• I definitely agree. I like your wider approach although I'm most interested right now in the hip-hop head/jazz head split. I've been thinkin about Wynton Marsalis, and why he's such a hater.b, 21b,121 a href="http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2008/10/06/2008-10-06_quincy_jones_when_it_comes_to_hip_hop_wy.html" target="_blank"1http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2008/1...hip_hop_wy.html/a1

• But I like jazz and hip-hop....