McCain on SNL

DJelV2000DJelV2000 322 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
Funnier that I thought it would be...b, 21It seemed a bit desperate, though.b, 21anyone see it?

Comments

• yea, he has good delivery but the sketch basically had one joke. the olberman bit was kinda funny at times. afflek nailed the face wagging part and the "you, sir".

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    watching the Weekend Update live last night, he was booed equally alongside cheers. Watching it as presented on NBC onlne, they're less obvious. I wonder if they tweaked it before posting, or if that's just a product of youtube-quality video compression.

• regardless, they were the two corniest skits of SNL's election series.

• haven't seen it...can't imagine I'd dig it though...unless he did a sketch about raising the roof...that might amuse me

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I thought the McCain's Fine Gold part was pretty funny, and the "I'm gonna go rogue here for a minute" bit. Also the Ayers Fresheners....b,121 "campaigns can be expensive...."b,121come on, that was a funny sketch.

• my question is do the McCain people think that him and Sarah being on SNL is gona help their plight? i mean, yeah, it's good that they're showing that they have a sense of humor about it all. but still... they're the butt of the jokes! is anybody out there really thinking like "haha, i wasn't sure who to vote for but it's so cool how these mutherf**kers can laugh along with the rest of the world at their trainwreck of a campaign... yeah, they're the ones who should be running this country." i dunno, maybe it's me but i don't get it img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif" alt="" /1

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    So...is Lorne Michaels a republican? That first sketch seemed more political than funny.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121So...is Lorne Michaels a republican? That first sketch seemed more political than funny. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121probably more of a starfucker...b,121anything to get a big name cameo on the show.b,121dudes probably jealous of the "jon stewart" love/worhsip that's swept the TV comedy genre over the last few years.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121the "jon stewart" love that's swept the TV comedy genre over the last few years. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121The love of those who echo their audiences political opinions back with a smirk and call it a joke. File under: "doesn't like comedy." b,121b,121The Daily Show is the Immortal Technique of humor.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    thats nonsense dude - really surprised to hear you say thatb,121b,121i mean no question theyve done jokes like that, and they usually fall flat - but thats not at all what the humor that drives the show is about. they're really smart in their critiques of media narratives, and spend more time deriding facile media coverage than they do repeating anti-conservative biases back at their audience.b,121b,121nothing has come close to this bit the entire election from any other comedy outletb,121b,121embed FlashVars='videoId=184086' src='http://www.thedailyshow.com/sitewide/video_player/view/default/swf.jhtml' quality='high' bgcolor='#cccccc' width='332' height='316' name='comedy_central_player' align='middle' allowScriptAccess='always' allownetworking='external' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'1/embed1b,121b,121making fun of karl rove looking like unbaked bread dough isnt an "lol karl rove is a bad person" humorless dailykos comments section joke - its a lol this man is funny looking joke b,121b,121and then they proceed to show well-researched clips deriding the media's willingness to allow talking heads to pivot on issues w/out sticking to any kind of principle

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    mccain on snl was funny, but yeah the olbermann sketch was the best part

• no its not dude

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i elaborated so maybe you can

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    img src="http://mnftiu.cc/blog/images/gywo.scare_easily.gif"1b,121b,121^^^THIS is the immortal technique of comedy

• he can sure raise his arms up pretty high when he gets excited.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121embed FlashVars='videoId=184086' src='http://www.thedailyshow.com/sitewide/video_player/view/default/swf.jhtml' quality='high' bgcolor='#cccccc' width='332' height='316' name='comedy_central_player' align='middle' allowScriptAccess='always' allownetworking='external' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'1/embed1b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121This only supports my theory. Stewart is a formulaic and pandering hack. Three times in a row here he shows a clip of a republican, restates their point sarcastically or inquisitively, then plays a contradicting clip by same talking head. No punchlines are delivered, no countering opinions or ideas are offered. But the audience eats it up. Rinse, repeat:b,121b,121"Karl Rove is very impressed with Sarah Pallin's experience as mayor of a city with ,[raises eyebrow]... nine thousand people in it!" (audience erupts in laughter...) "I wonder if he feels the same way about [equally unexperienced whoever]" (Stewart runs clip displaying Roves hypocrisy... audience laughs more...)b,121b,121Politicians and pundits are notoriously two faced and self serving. On both sides of the fence. Pointing this out to the adoration of people who agree is not a joke and it's not clever. Stewart is not all that different from a blue state O'reily, repackaging outrage. Except he's 'protected' by the auspices of comedy.b,121b,121/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121making fun of karl rove looking like unbaked bread dough isnt an "lol karl rove is a bad person" humorless dailykos comments section joke - its a lol this man is funny looking jokeb,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Sure and that's basically the only actual joke in this entire clip. There's some of that highbrow, emmy award winning politically conscious comedy writing in action. "lol karl rove's head is funny.' b,121b,121"In Dick Morris' defense he is a lying sack of shit" (LAUGHTER! CHEERS! AAHH!) That's not a joke dude!b,121b,121/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121and then they proceed to show well-researched clips deriding the media's willingness to allow talking heads to pivot on issues w/out sticking to any kind of principle b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121You are arguing content, not form. "But Immortal Technique reads books and raps about tha struggle."b,121b,121I miss the Craig Kilborne days of TDS.

• And, for what it's worth, Colbert is an absolute genius, probably the greatest satirist of our time. I don't think Stewart's hackdom became quite so obvious until he made the unfortunate choice of letting Colbert go on after him.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121embed FlashVars='videoId=184086' src='http://www.thedailyshow.com/sitewide/video_player/view/default/swf.jhtml' quality='high' bgcolor='#cccccc' width='332' height='316' name='comedy_central_player' align='middle' allowScriptAccess='always' allownetworking='external' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'1/embed1b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121This only supports my theory. Stewart is a formulaic and pandering hack. Three times in a row here he shows a clip of a republican, restates their point sarcastically or inquisitively, then plays a contradicting clip by same talking head. No punchlines are delivered, no countering opinions or ideas are offered. But the audience eats it up. Rinse, repeat:b,121b,121"Karl Rove is very impressed with Sarah Pallin's experience as mayor of a city with ,[raises eyebrow]... nine thousand people in it!" (audience erupts in laughter...) "I wonder if he feels the same way about [equally unexperienced whoever]" (Stewart runs clip displaying Roves hypocrisy... audience laughs more...)b,121b,121Politicians and pundits are notoriously two faced and self serving. On both sides of the fence. Pointing this out to the adoration of people who agree is not a joke and it's not clever. Stewart is not all that different from a blue state O'reily, repackaging outrage. Except he's 'protected' by the auspices of comedy.b,121b,121/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121making fun of karl rove looking like unbaked bread dough isnt an "lol karl rove is a bad person" humorless dailykos comments section joke - its a lol this man is funny looking jokeb,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Sure and that's basically the only actual joke in this entire clip. There's some of that highbrow, emmy award winning politically conscious comedy writing in action. "lol karl rove's head is funny.' b,121b,121"In Dick Morris' defense he is a lying sack of shit" (LAUGHTER! CHEERS! AAHH!) That's not a joke dude!b,121b,121/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121and then they proceed to show well-researched clips deriding the media's willingness to allow talking heads to pivot on issues w/out sticking to any kind of principle b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121You are arguing content, not form. "But Immortal Technique reads books and raps about tha struggle."b,121b,121I miss the Craig Kilborne days of TDS. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121haha what?? its not funny to poke fun at self-serving politicians because we all know they're self-serving? your airtight logic has me reeling. im sorry, but doing research and finding these people who are so respected and frequently quoted by lazy news media and pointing out the hypocritical self-contradiction is grade-A stuffb,121b,121saying this is the flip of o'reilly is even more absurd! i dont question that stewart is reinforcing a liberal frame but thats not the POINT, and thats not what makes people laugh - no one else is pointing out the blatant hypocrisy of these respected talking heads, they have a corner on the market (unless yr reading some blogs or whatever). the genius of this bit is that stewart is playing the straight man and karl rove or dick morris are the ones who are making fools of themselves - and they're not making fools of themselves because of who's side their on, so your "its just the flip of bill o'reilly!" argument doesnt make any sense. The humor here isn't about the partisan nature of the audience, its about the lack of principle. this could just as easily be a democratic spinmeister contradicting himself about x y z - the ideology is irrelevent in this exampleb,121b,121also yearning for craig kilborne doesnt help your case here

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121And, for what it's worth, Colbert is an absolute genius, probably the greatest satirist of our time. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121That in and of itself is a troubling aspect of our time.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    essentially my argument is that jon stewart is playing a straight man for most of this, the laughs are more about how they contextualize the absurdities of politicians and talking heads and the news media by contrasting clips and basically saying "wait a minute, think about this for a second."b,121b,121/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121And, for what it's worth, Colbert is an absolute genius, probably the greatest satirist of our time. I don't think Stewart's hackdom became quite so obvious until he made the unfortunate choice of letting Colbert go on after him. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121i agree that colbert is a great satirist and i love his show too - if anything im more likely to skip his than the daily show though, if only bcuz i find the sort of naval gazing cult of colbert stuff to be kind boring (i.e. the shit about his new wave band, or about how some biologist renamed some random obscure spider after him or whatever) and i prefer when hes sticking to satirizing others, as a critique rather than as a character in his own right

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    also the colbert interviews are often just weird - a lot of guests (esp the liberal ones) really dont 'get' whats going on a lot of the time

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121also the colbert interviews are often just weird - a lot of guests (esp the liberal ones) really dont 'get' whats going on a lot of the time b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I always find this amazing. How - at least this far down the line - do they (or at least their handlers/bookers) not know. Are the just dense?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    The Olbermann sketch was brutally unfunny.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121The Olbermann sketch was brutally unfunny. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121Thanks on large part to the fact that like almost every other SNL sketch, it went on about twice as long as it should have.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    it was too long. i did lol @ the camera angles and when he started going way over the top with the head movements

• You're missing my point completely. When I compare Stewart to O'Reilly it's in the sense that he's comfort food for cynical democrats (vs. comfort food for frightened conservatives). The type of people who boo John McCain even when he's making (actual and dare I say sort of funny) jokes about his own campaign.b,121b,121A good joke ultimately derives from an unexpected twist. Where is the punchline in Stewart's hypocrisy avenger routine? I mean the Repubs are basically running a wholly absurdist campaign at this point and it doesn't take a comedy genius to merely point that out. Now maybe mainstream media is flawed in that it lets so many two faced blow hards go unchecked (or even lets them on the air at all) and perhaps Stewart fills a necessary void there, but that hardly means he succeeds on a comedic level.b,121b,121Related:b,121http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/03/19/tina-fey-jon-stewart-doe_n_92260.html/a1b,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121RD: What pleases you more, applause or laughter?b,121Fey: Laughter. You can prompt applause with a sign. My friend, SNL writer Seth Meyers, coined the term clapter, which is when you do a political joke and people go, "Woo-hoo." It means they sort of approve but didn't really like it that much. You hear a lot of that on [whispers] The Daily Show.b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121i find the sort of naval gazing cult of colbert stuff to be kind boring (i.e. the shit about his new wave band, or about how some biologist renamed some random obscure spider after him or whatever) and i prefer when hes sticking to satirizing others, as a critique rather than as a character in his own right b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121So you dislike all the jokey stuff on a comedy show?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    God, I hate to say it but noz is spot on. Stewart hasn't been funny for years.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i guess we're not gonna agree about this, but basically i have three things to say about thatb,121b,1211. i thought mccain was funny on snl ... my enjoyment of daily show has nothing to do w/ blind partisan bitternessb,121b,1212. since when does, for ex, fans of 'mind playing tricks' thinking its a good halloween song make you enjoy 'mind playing tricks' any less? in other words, yr getting too caught up in certain audience members' reactions to let yrself enjoy the actual content. yah im tired of 'man do i hate george bush!!!' 'jokes' too but that doesnt mean that the entirety of political satire is bad just because the targets happen to be on the right wing.b, 21b, 213. the 'punchline' in the clip i posted comes from the talking heads themselves. the daily show isnt about jon stewart being making funny jokes himself (although he does alright sometimes). he sets up the jokes, gives these seemingly disparate clips a narrative, and dick morris saying 'retreat behind the apron strings' in his silly-ass voice is the punchline. no it doesnt take a genius to say "hey, this campaign is absurd," but to say it in the right way - which that clip imho perfectly illustrates. i had forgotten that these talking heads were so directly self-contradictory - i know there was hypocrisy there, but certainly wasnt aware of how blatantb,121b,121and yeah it reinforces my worldview, but it does so in a way that is entertaining - im not a fan of dailykos, or of 'get your war on,' or endless other dem/left wing websites where they point out these hypocrisies on a daily basis. daily show regularly does a good job of taking these actors and putting a comedic frame around them. the reason they're so successful isnt because people are mad at republicans - this isn't olbermann's show, after all - its because they are also funny