Simple recording Q for studio types (Peak Pro REL)

cardovacardova 743 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
So this is my vinyl ripping set up: turntable to phono-preamp to sound card to Peak Pro. Everything works perfectly, the only problem is the soundcard input gain. b,121b, 21When recording loud 12" pressings even the lowest gain setting is too loud and the recording will be distorted. Peak's internal gain doesn't seem to work when using an external sound card.b,121b,121What are my options? Buy a new sound card with a wider input gain? Is there a plug-in I can use just to turn the volume down?

Comments

• Sounds like you need a Preamp or soundcard with a PAD on it. This isn't typical on PhonoPreamps but you could get a direct box and put it in the chain after your PhonoPre and b4 the soundcard. Adding components to the chain will add noise and isn't recommended, so stepping up the soundcard would be best.

• This kinda sounds like there is a setting wrong somewhere in the chain. Like a boost is engaged where it shouldn't be. b,121b, 21Aren't Mic/Line set to different input levels as a general rule? You might have two preamps in the circuit or something?

• cardovacardova 743 Posts
    I'm starting to agree with Bass Fever. There's just the Pro-ject preamp and an E-mu sound card with line level input. When recording albums and 12s with 2 tracks on each side the set-up works perfectly, I get a nice recording with just the right headroom. It's just the loudest 12s that are too loud.

• I'm still familiarizing myself with macs...But on the pc's on board sound cards usually have a mic/line option...