URBAN FOLK MAGAZINE

spencergroovnycespencergroovnyce 189 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
Urban Folk #12 pg.21b, 21"You can easily find the spectacle in rap. I would go to these clubs and see all these white hipsters dancing to hip hop and R&B making a spectacle out of it - there are undertones of racism... If there's a point to what I'm doing it's to say that all the stereotypes of Jim Crow and the context of slavery are still with us and there's a lot of cultural vampirism going on. The hip-hop going on now isn't Public Enemy, it's a lot of this sold out gangster hip-hop that really buys into capitalism... Gangster culture is something that comes from white people - black people didn't invent the gangster."b,121b,121img src="http://waxidermy.com/bbs/images/smiles/urbanFolk.gif"1

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Woody Guthrie would not approve of rap in 2008.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Urban Folk #12 pg.21b, 21"You can easily find the spectacle in rap. I would go to these clubs and see all these white hipsters dancing to hip hop and R&B making a spectacle out of it - there are undertones of racism... If there's a point to what I'm doing it's to say that all the stereotypes of Jim Crow and the context of slavery are still with us and there's a lot of cultural vampirism going on. The hip-hop going on now isn't Public Enemy, it's a lot of this sold out gangster hip-hop that really buys into capitalism... Gangster culture is something that comes from white people - black people didn't invent the gangster."b,121b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Ah, who is this talking, and what is the context? (I've figured out that it was from some folk magazine, but we need somethin' else to go by...)

• A Black Transsexual Singer-Songwriter who has been to Kill Whitey parties.