OOP Hip-Hop that’s really worth collecting

GoblahGoblah 35 Posts
edited July 2005 in Record Collecting
Perhaps you might empathise. You came across a site/blog where a poster was raving about the merits of an album released years ago, but that only 10 people bought. Being the avid collector that you are, you decide to fork out cash for the album on either eBay or some other second-hand outlet, only to find out that there are few redeeming features on this so-called slept-on classic. Feeling me yet? You might already be familiar with the usual suspects: Trends Of Culture, Down South, The Flatlinerz, Boogiemonsters, Hard 2 Obtain, Rumpletilskinz, Yaggfu Front, Zhigge, Rough House Survivers, Yall So Stupid. The list is long. The truth is that not all of these records really are worth collecting. So, I was hoping that the knowledgeable folk here would be able to help avid/beginner collectors to make more informed decisions.Add on.PEACEGoblah

Comments

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    how about listening to records before buying them? it's quite a common practice....

ps: who in their right mind would recommend flatlinerz?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Perhaps you might empathise. You came across a site/blog where a poster was raving about the merits of an album released years ago, but that only 10 people bought. Being the avid collector that you are, you decide to fork out cash for the album on either eBay or some other second-hand outlet, only to find out that there are few redeeming features on this so-called slept-on classic. Feeling me yet?

You might already be familiar with the Boogiemonsters[/b]

one mans trash is another mans treasure. Honeydips in Gotham is the summertime jernt

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    My first bit of advice is start hitting the used CD stores/pawn shops and start looking for that stuff on the cheapie cheap. It's more fun and more fiscally responsible than just throwing down on eBay.

My second bit of advice is check for MP3s on the web to listen first before you throw down lots of cash.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    the flatlinerz kill shit.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

ps: who in their right mind would recommend flatlinerz?

I remember a friend of mine who loved this stuff. He also thought King Just was one of the "Illest MC's"

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I kinda liked the Yaggfu Front when they came out, then thought they were corny, now I like them again. They're NC hiphop so I'm allowed.

So basically this is turning into a thread where posters rave about the merits of albums released years ago, but that only 10 people bought. Great first post Goblah!

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    my attitude is fucked up and really shitty.

now that's lyricism!

I kinda liked the Yaggfu Front when they came out, then thought they were corny, now I like them again. They're NC hiphop so I'm allowed.

So basically this is turning into a thread where posters rave about the merits of albums released years ago, but that only 10 people bought. Great first post Goblah!

i liked Trendz of Culture, Boogiemonsters and Hard2obtain.

Now I shall wait for my cancellation to the Soulstrut Special Friends Club -OOP Hip Hop Division.

i liked Trendz of Culture, Boogiemonsters and Hard2obtain.

Now I shall wait for my cancellation to the Soulstrut Special Friends Club -OOP Hip Hop Division.

But at least I liked Son of Bazerk too!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    The real question is why are you collecting obscure hip-hop if you know nothing about the genre? Are you familiar with the basics, ie Native Tongue, Sugar Hill, Enjoy, EPMD, etc? None of these groups you mentioned are truly obscure, they are pretty recent records that were around at the time of release... some even had small underground hits and followings. A truly obscure record would be "What The Party Needs" or "4-Ever Fresh" or some such... "991 Volts" or something.

Not trying to floss knowledge, but it seems like you are going about this backwards... what is worth collecting? Anything that will be valuable in the future... what is worth listening to? Nothing listed here IMO... although I have a soft spot for "LI Groove".

None of these records hold a candle to the stuff that's pretty common and well-known.

• anything you like is worth collecting. Just because something is rare, or praised by cult followers doesn't mean it's high art. A little off the subject, but a good example is some of those ugly-ass Nike Dunk SB's that come out. They put out 500 pairs of a horredous looking sneaker, and people go gaga over them, pay $700 and never even wear them, just let them sit in the box in a dark closet and brag about it. Point is collect what you really like and will listen to alot, and don't worry about what people say cause in the end, it's gonna be about your wallet and shelf space.

Ofcourse, this is SoulStrut, so my whole point is null and void if you find some gem in a dusty dungeon for a dollar.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    The real question is why are you collecting obscure hip-hop if you know nothing about the genre? Are you familiar with the basics, ie Native Tongue, Sugar Hill, Enjoy, EPMD, etc?

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    You might already be familiar with the usual suspects: Trends Of Culture, Down South, The Flatlinerz, Boogiemonsters, Hard 2 Obtain, Rumpletilskinz, Yaggfu Front, Zhigge, Rough House Survivers, Yall So Stupid. The list is long.

Like Paycheck said.....

I bought all of the records you are mentioning when they first came out alongside the real classics and I never listened to them very often for the simple fact that most of them weren't as good as the the common ones. There was actually a time when the best hip hop records were the ones that were also very popular. For a young fan who missed 1986 - 1995 due to his age my advice is: there is so much common and not so expensive stuff to check out and listen too that will keep you busay for the next two or three years. If you still need more after that try to find you some Molecular Beats Squadron or Hansoul Project. But you don't really need them if your Nice & Smooth / BDP / X-Clan/ Jungle Brothers/ Heavy D / Diamond D/ PE /EPMD / BDK ... collection is complete. Soime recodrs are raer for a reason.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    the only time OOP hip hop is worth collecting is when i'm selling it.

NEVER TRUST A BLOG!

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    OOP is POO spelled backwards. im so clever.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Trends Of Culture, Down South, The Flatlinerz, Boogiemonsters, Hard 2 Obtain, Rumpletilskinz, Yaggfu Front, Zhigge, Rough House Survivers, Yall So Stupid.

Are people actually paying serious money for any of these shits?

I got a little money for my copy of Hard 2 Obtain a few years back--and that one does have some pretty nice production--but the rest of those....

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Perhaps you might empathise. You came across a site/blog where a poster was raving about the merits of an album released years ago, but that only 10 people bought. Being the avid collector that you are, you decide to fork out cash for the album on either eBay or some other second-hand outlet, only to find out that there are few redeeming features on this so-called slept-on classic. Feeling me yet?

You might already be familiar with the usual suspects: Trends Of Culture, Down South, The Flatlinerz, Boogiemonsters, Hard 2 Obtain, Rumpletilskinz, Yaggfu Front, Zhigge, Rough House Survivers, Yall So Stupid. The list is long.

The truth is that not all of these records really are worth collecting. So, I was hoping that the knowledgeable folk here would be able to help avid/beginner collectors to make more informed decisions.

Add on.

PEACE

Goblah

Like others have said, seek out the classics. If you don't got records by the groups JP & others mentioned, then start with them. I'm going to assume that you've got the standards & are now looking for other stuff to listen to.

Honestly, I'm into all the albums you listed (except for Boggiemonsters. Never heard the whole lp, tho, so maybe I'm sleeping). Some I picked up when they dropped, others I slept on & picked up later. Most of those albums are readily available on-line in one format or another. I got the trendz, hard 2 obtain, & ya'll so stupid from one online used cd retailer for 10 bucks total; you should be able to download them on soulseek, too. Blogs are a good source of information & the better ones (cocaine blunts is one the springs to mind) have mp3s to check & informative write ups. Spine mag was dope & you can still find some of those reviews archived on line.

All of these reviews, blogs, & message boards are only points of departure. Whether or not you'll enjoy the music is totally dependant on your ears.

I think all of the records you listed are collectable. Don't pay too much for them, though. I don't see them in the field where I'm at, but I don't think you shoul be forking out any regretable amounts of cash for Rumpletilskinz. Shit is a dope 5-15 dollar record, but that's it.

Peace

h

• Is it just me or are some people getting uppety about their records? I thought the top of this website said "Crate Digging DJ and Hip Hop Culture!" What's wrong with collecting Rap records??

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Is it just me or are some people getting uppety about their records? I thought the top of this website said "Crate Digging DJ and Hip Hop Culture!" What's wrong with collecting Rap records??

Nothing--it's just that the rap records presently in question are crap.

• maybe to you. I thought the Hard 2 Obtain, Zhigge, and Rough House Survivers had dope albums and are collectible to a degree.

• oldnewsouloldnewsoul 238 Posts
    T"991 Volts" or something.

That was an incredible record.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

And 99% of the kids on here who fancy themselves hip-hop heads/collectors don't even know what it is.

The game's fucked up right now.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

And 99% of the kids on here who fancy themselves hip-hop heads/collectors don't even know what it is.

i find that comment kinda odd/surprising coming from you.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

therefore you should tell these "kids" about it, and not just drop an obscure title w/o any info.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

For me, the game has been a journey. I've been picking up stuff today that I never heard of 5 years ago & I hope to still be picking up shit in 5 years time that will surprise & amaze. Its been trial & error. Some things move me, others not so much. I'll be sure to keep an eye/ear peeled for the music jp mentioned. propers.

Since we're on the subject of hip hop: anyone have any Dashan & Unique mp3s to share? I'm curious to know what that's like. Also, I have Kaos mp3s for anyone interested. Thanks to the dude who yousended them to me.

Peace

h

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    There was actually a time when the best hip hop records were the ones that were also very popular.

Good point man.

Some of what were the ???big??? albums at the time were also by far the best and have stood the test of time well.

You might already be familiar with the usual suspects: Trends Of Culture, Down South, The Flatlinerz, Boogiemonsters, Hard 2 Obtain, Rumpletilskinz, Yaggfu Front, Zhigge, Rough House Survivers, Yall So Stupid.

I break it down like this:

YAGGFU FRONT: I feel Yaggfu???s debut album is one of the best records ever made.

RUMPLETILSKINZ: They were good at the time and while he album hasn???t matured into a classic (or anywhere near that status) I can still get down this this now and again.

ZHIGGE: I remember it as being dope but never owned it as we couldn???t get in on vinyl here in the UK. Guess it could have aged rather badly.

ROUGH HOUSE SURVIVORS: First album that I ever bought and sold again in an instant.

YALL SO STUPID: Manages to be not that good but still half decent in a strange sort of way. Hardly ever play it and when I do it never sounds any better (or worse).

DOWN SOUTH: This is a good one in my opinion, quite original too.

THE FLATLINERZ: Didn???t realise they dropped an album! These dudes sucked.

H2O: Wack rappers, but as mentioned LI Groove is a good tracks. And the Ghetto Diamond track too.

TRENDS: Again couldn't get this on vinyl, and I didn???t do CD???s so I missed out on this one.

BOGGIEMONSTERS: Found this late and copped it on recommendation from a couple of stutters, didn???t feel it to much to be honest (guess its one of those that had to be heard at the time)

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts

I must confess to having no knowledge of this record what so ever.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Justice System - Rooftop Soundcheck... I still can't figure out why I'm the only dude obsessed with this record.

DJ Ferrari

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    Justice System - Rooftop Soundcheck... I still can't figure out why I'm the only dude obsessed with this record.

i've got a couple of their 12" (dedication to bambataa...summer in the city?) but i've never seen/heard the full length. is it worth tracking down?

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

i've got a couple of their 12" (dedication to bambataa...summer in the city?) but i've never seen/heard the full length. is it worth tracking down?

Yeah, the non 12's on that album are the highlights for sure... Soul Style, Flexin tha Ill Funk, etc. I don't see it too often, but when I do, it's super cheap because for some reason NO ONE WANTS IT!

DJ Ferrari