France (Food & Funk) - School Me

doughboydoughboy 190 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
Am off to europe for a 4 week trip, which is awesome! But have to leave the g/friend and our one year old behind, which is totally s**t. Never-the-less, between bus trips, sound checks and phone calls home I am hoping to squeeze in a few minutes digging... if we manage to spy any likely spots, and def want to get some decent food.b, 21b,121I'll be heading through Toulouse, Montpellier, Marseille, Clermont Ferrand, Bordeaux, St Etienne, Grenoble and Strasbourg in that order.b, 21b,121So, any tips on...b, 21b, 211) Music - don't a clue about French / European music I might come across. I DO know a very few names on the soundtrack/jazz tip (Francis Lai, Moulin, Ferrer etc), but in reality have no idea who I should be keeping my eyes peeled for. I have no idea where we're staying in any of these places either... but if you know any spots b, 21b, 212) Food - local specialities. I know the wine is gonna be top notch, but any local dishes I should be trying?b,121b, 21Thanks

Comments

• If your in The latin quarter, there is a store called silly melody. It's a little overpriced, but so is everything there. Decent selection, and friendly guy behind the counter. stay far away from crocodisc.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121 silly melody.b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21hi, was there not too long ago and they have zilch. if you're in paris my advice is to take in the sights and the food but not to waste any time and energy trying to chase non-existant 'good' record stores. even if you manage to find something you want, it will be banged up and/or laughably expensive. chez youri used to be the spot but they are finished now. your best bet is probably to try and line something up with a private collector or dealer.b,121b, 21i have some good friends in strasbourg, will see if i can get you a proper recommendation for eats. in general, i would recommend getting yourself some steak tartare.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121 silly melody.b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1even if you manage to find something you want, it will be banged up and/or laughably expensive. . b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b, 21Yeah, I hear ya. stopped into Groove Store on a similar trip through Paris last year and was treated to both banged up AND exspensive. Did find some ok stuff in Bourges though, so was hoping for tips in the South rather than Paris itself.b, 21b, 21Never had Tartare before... but your tip is being repeated from other sources too. Forget the records, find food and booze instead. Sounds like an idea.