Madlib: "I Want It Back"

Terry_ClubbupTerry_Clubbup 833 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
This morning I was listening to college radio and heard a song that was deeply offensive to me. I believe that the artist is Madlib and the title of the song (and the hook) is "I Want It Back". I am not sure if it is Madlib rapping, or if it is a guest rapper.b,121b,121I thought we were through with this, this take-it-back in a lame way complaining type of rap, as canonized in the De La Soul album Stakes Is High. This "I Want It Back" song appears to be on Madlib's latest album, King Of The Wigflip. I like Madlib's crazy lo-fi beats and scattershot approach just fine. But I cannot listen to this complaining about the state of rap, because rapp, as always, is outta control. Some of these true-schoolers complain more than Republicans.b,121b,121In the song he attempted to make some clever references to classic albums. He "Midnight Marauded some albums" was one of them. There is then a reference to current rap which is, "saying nothing". Well, the rapp I have been hearing says a whole lot. It is this take-back-the-night candlelight vigil true-school type of complaining rap that is actually saying nothing.b,121b,121Perhaps the joke is on me. This song may be a tongue-in-cheek statement about a certain type of character, and it may be performed in character. I hope so. I hope the joke is on me, otherwise I am left holding real crap in my hands.

Comments

• sounds cringeworthy stuff

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    How is this deeply offensive?

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I've always maintained that the only thing worse than wack, empty, mainstream rap is underground rappers A) complaining about wack, empty, mainstream rap or B) continually rapping about how they're "not on that cristal bling shit." b,121b,121That was cool back in the Stakes is High days, but come on now.

• img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/waaambulance.gif" alt="" /1b,121b,121IMO, that was one of the better beats on the Wigflip Lp.b,121The dude rapping is Oh No, Madlib's little bro.b,121Who cares if you don't like his point of view, b,121just skip the track, mang...

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    What if you rapped about hating rap thats about hating rap....?

• img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/postmodern.gif" alt="" /1

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121rapp, as always, is outta controlb,121b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21img src="http://farm1.static.flickr.com/39/120171379_e98f44c851.jpg?v=0"1

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Who cares if you don't like his point of view, b,121just skip the track, mang... b,121b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21who cares if you don't like clubbups opinion of madlibs point of view?b,121b,121skip his posts, mayne...b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1074.gif" alt="" /1

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I wonder whatever happened to Son Of Bazerk?b,121b,121I found that 12 once and it had the instro on both sides or something like that. pissed me off. I asked about it on here and found out it was pretty common.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Most of Madlib's output is deeply offensive.

• You started this thread just so someone would make a ???deeply offensive??? greamlin didn???t you?