London, Rackords, Foods, etc.

drbrownscelraydrbrownscelray 648 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
In a week, I will have to good fortune of taking an expenses-paid trip to London courtesy of my firm. Ostensibly I am going to a music conference, but this will consume an aggregate 3 hours of time. A friend is showing me around, but he's a music industry dude and I am pretty sure that he will take me to a club where "Wearing My Rolex" is played 300 times in a row and will take me to Size? (which is, in my opinion the best sneaker store on the planet excluding various secret spots and consignment places). So I need any help plaese with the following:b,121b,1211. Records: Is that place Soul Brother still worth checking? Any other spots for soul, african, jazz, etc.? I would rather hit a spot where I can walk away with one grail piece and take a big ass hit to my wallet, than go to a place where I gotta sift through crap to find "deals".b,121b,1212. Foods: I am especially looking for (a) a really great Indian restaurant or two and (b) a traditional British type of restaurant that is favored by locals, rather than a tourist trap as well as (c) anything else leaning to the cheap and tasty.b,121b,1213. I am there from Sunday morning until Thursday morning. I would really like to go to some sort of soul night, one that's well attended (instead of just five dudes and one girl in a little bar) and where the dj is really good.b,121b,121Any information that anyone can offer is super-appreciated.

Comments

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121a traditional British type of restaurant that is favored by localsb,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/walkawaysonfinal.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icegrill.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,1213. I am there from Sunday morning until Thursday morning. I would really like to go to some sort of soul night, one that's well attended (instead of just five dudes and one girl in a little bar) and where the dj is really good.b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121If you're wanting to go to a club night then it would be advisable to stop over the weekend if possible

• 1. intoxica, record exchange(music &video exchange), jazzman geraldb,1212. any indian food going to be top notch but i recommend nando's portugese chicken.b,1213. motherfunkb,121b,121peace, stein. . . img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="" 21

• 1. intoxica has a great selection but their prices are insanely high (at least double the high end ebay price on any record)although from your description this might be just the spot. its on portebello road and that's a nice little strip with a few other lesser record shops and nice restaurants. as far as i am aware jazzman gerald no longer has a retail outlet. he used to have a spot in camden town but i think that's history now: maybe touch base with him and see if you can get a private viewing. music and video exchange in camden town and notting hill are definitely worth checking out. b,121b,1212. "noor jahan" on cromwell road is super tasty and not expensive. i think you can get "british food" at just about any pub although i would take averageman's advice in regards to that. nando's is a chain but that said its pretty decent.b,121b,1213. jazz cafe in camden usually has some interesting stuff going on but i guess it really depends on who is playing...b,121b,121hope that's useful....

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    nando's is shopping mall food court type ish in these parts, and peri is a medical term for the groin area, so as for peri sauce.... but i digress

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,1213. jazz cafe in camden usually has some interesting stuff going on but i guess it really depends on who is playing...b,121 b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Maybe it's just me but I was looking at their upcoming acts the other day and the prices seem to have gone way way up compared to what I remember (it's been a while - think the last time I was there was to see Gil Scott Heron). Their cream of the crop selection of artists from the early nineties can not be bettered though.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121a traditional British type of restaurant that is favored by localsb,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/walkawaysonfinal.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icegrill.gif" alt="" 21 b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Nah, this is where I give the obligatory plug to one of my favourite spots.b,121b,121 a href="http://www.classiccafes.co.uk/Pelliccifeature.htm" target="_blank"1Pellicci's, Bethnal Green Road. b,121b,121Depending on where you're staying, it might be a little out of the way for you. Nearest tube is Bethnal Green on the Central line, and it's about a five-minute walk down Bethnal Green Road, but if you get the opportunity, and you reckon your constitution can handle an artery-hardening cooked breakfast, then get thee to Pellicci's and order a full English. They can do a veggie version if required, and that's great too, but I'm assured by carnivores that the regular version is as good as it gets. Either way, you'll be set for the day after one of those. The coffee is great as well.b,121b,121As you'll be able to see from the photos on that link, the caff itself is beautiful (if a little cramped during busy periods), and Nevio Jr., who runs the place since his dad took ill and retired, is a lovely fella with a knack for remembering everyone's face, even if you haven't been in for months. Another benefit of a trek out to Pellicci's is that, on the way to and from the tube station, you'll pass Meteor Sports, one of the best trainer spots in London - exclusive and limited edition Nikes by the truckload. I understand that Kenny Dope hits the place up on the regular whenever he's in town.b,121b,121On the records tip, you should check Sounds of The Universe on Broadwick Street in Soho. Some nice rare Brazilian, jazz and soul in the basement, and their new selections upstairs are always worth a look; it's particularly good for reggae.

• As a recent arrival in this fair city I'd recommend Soul Brother for sure, reasonable priced (for London) great stock and super friendly staff. Cosign on all the others listed above. If you get a chance to go a little further out (its on the tube line still) crazy beat is well worth a visit, best customer service ive had in the UK (got offered a cup of tea while I dug!)b,121b,121Jazz Cafe is great, im going to see sleep walker there on sunday night.b,121b,121Other than that intoxica is ok if your rich - (eg ??125 for the ensemble al-salaam!)b,121b,121Enjoy your stay.

• you can't come all the way over here for a bloody fry up!!!

• Thanks so much everybody. Somehow I knew that DocMcCoy would come up big in this thread. I refuse to accept that there isn't something redeeming about every local cuisine. I'm mega-excited for Arsenal Tottenham. I've never been to a football match before.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I refuse to accept that there isn't something redeeming about every local cuisine.b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121you'll have to poast a review and wether or not you img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/krusty.gif" alt="" 21 You should also pay a chip shop a visit as well although some would say there is a north/south divide when it comes to chippies (North being better)b,121b,121/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I'm mega-excited for Arsenal Tottenham.b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121That ones got to be a forgone conclusion if ever I saw one

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I'm mega-excited for Arsenal Tottenham. I've never been to a football match before. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1 b,121b,121img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icegrill.gif" alt="" 21b,121b,121would love to get tickets for this one... but i'm sure you'll enjoy it (being a firey local derby and all that) and hopefully arsenal will hand out a footballing lesson.b,121b,121and i know you said you'd prefer not to have to go through loads of vinyl looking for bargins, but you should try to stop by haggle vinyl on essex road. the owner is lovely.

• I INSIST YOU EAT A PICKLED EGG

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121you can't come all the way over here for a bloody fry up!!! b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121"Fry-up"??? That's like calling Picasso's "Guernica" a doodle. Shit is img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lvl.gif" alt="" 21

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Thanks so much everybody. Somehow I knew that DocMcCoy would come up big in this thread. I refuse to accept that there isn't something redeeming about every local cuisine. I'm mega-excited for Arsenal Tottenham. I've never been to a football match before. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121My pleasure.b,121b,121The Arsenal-Spurs matches should be particularly good this season, and I couldn't think of many better introductions to the game for a first-timer. Arsenal aren't as imperious as they once were, but Spurs are wretched right now, and a thrashing at the hands of their most hated rivals is as close to a nailed-on certainty as you can get.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121you can't come all the way over here for a bloody fry up!!! b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121isnt that the only reason to come here??b,121b,121compare a fry up to a continental brekkie img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/walkawaysonfinal.gif" alt="" 21b,121b,121b,121when in london you have to find a greasy spoon, but get there at 7:30ish in the morning and eat with the builders img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohmyer1.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I INSIST YOU EAT A PICKLED EGG b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Been there, done that, don't especially want to do that again.

• no, I'm INSISTING img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blap.gif" alt="" 21b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/weaksauce.gif" alt="" 21

• Options
    I don't know a thing about London, but SWK has been MURDERING the parkways out here lately with AVE throwing D.R.I.'s running man all over the place. It's been insane, BQE, Belt, Cross Island, everywhere.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I don't know a thing about London, but SWK has been MURDERING the parkways out here lately with AVE throwing D.R.I.'s running man all over the place. It's been insane, BQE, Belt, Cross Island, everywhere. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121The city needs a good comeback. The f*cking running man. I gotta see that shit dude.