This Am. Life on Economy (NPR related)

kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
Look, I know This American Life gets some deserved clon for their NPR snob-set reporting and storytelling...b,121b,121BUT, they are KILLING IT in their current reporting on the economy. KILLING IT.b,121If you haven't, check the following episodes: b,121b,121'THE GIANT POOL OF MONEY,' on the mortgage crisis...which now seems quiant next to...b,121b,121'ANOTHER FRIGHTENING EPISODE ON THE ECONOMY,' on the current credit crisis...which was followed by one segment in...b,121b,121'A BETTER MOUSETRAP,' which is on the improvements made to the bailout plan.b,121b,121One of the reasons I think these have been so good is that they are working with the NPR news division to expand these stories, and explain them in detail. It is giving some serious reportage to balance out their human-interesty side.b,121b,121And, if you dig all that, the Planet Money blog/podcast is also WRECKING SHIT when it comes to reporting this. Yes, this might be beneath the average investment banker... but, as a way to get a handle on things as a layperson, these people are RUNNIN' THA GAME. Peace to Adam Davidson LIKE WHUT!b,121b,121b,121You can get those episodes off iTunes, or listen on their website (no download...) i did manage to download off the PRI website, though, so you can try that.b,121b,121oh, and:b,121b,121a href="http://www.npr.org/money" target="_blank"1www.npr.org/money = Planet Money

Comments

• Okay, chumpzillas...b,121b,121Here is a link to, 'Another Frightening Hour on the Economy.'b,121b,121Enjoy, I guess...b,121b,121http://www.pri.org/business/frightening-show-economy.html

• I listened to this today. It isn't what I would call feel good radio.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I like the first two segments (haven't heard the new one yet) but to me, it does a great job of distilling some complex shit into an hour segment.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121 deserved clon for their NPR snob-set reporting and storytelling...
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121*Ahem* So......yeah..........this is awkward.b,121b,121

• Yeah... "Another Frightening Hour..." is NOT a happy show... Makes the 'Giant Pool of Money,' look almost pedestrian in comparison.b,121b,121And, I hasten to add, the 'Better Mousetrap,' is actually just one part of the show; there is some other, more typical TAL wrapped up in there, but one Act is dedicated to the changes made to the bailout plan as soon as, 'Another Frightening Hour...' went to tape. To their credit, they were changes (namely, the Gov't. stake in banks) that they totally forecasted...b,121b,121Either way, cheery or no, it is exceptionally well produced, and as ODub said, makes some exceptionally complex ideas much easier to understand.