mentors..

2»

Comments

• I didn't really learn anything from anyone.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Quite honestly, I basically taught myself about music, how to dig and what to dig for. Straight research mode.

Yeah, I feel like this too. I worked in a record shop for several years & always had friends who worked in record shops. So, I was pretty much able to order anything I wanted + just dig through records & listen to stuff everyday for several years.

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    I'm not a hardcore digger by any means...but as far as diggin mentors: dj phil always puts me up on breaks,and my boy boog shows me that you don't need rare records to make hot beats..those 2 dudes keep me in the loop nowadays...Back in the day there was people like dj blade and dj unique-who had the ultimate breaks & beats records & octopus records back in 88. Thats how I was introduced to breaks...Blade showed me the village voice hip hop article in 1988 which had a little section that talked about breaks...(he wouldn't let me get a copy of it though!!) Between KDAY(mixmasters and hi energy mixshows), second generation marley and red alert tapes, Dr Funkenklein and P Fine's "stupid def" column in dance music report, John Leland's single's column in spin magazine (this guy would cover a LOT of hip hop singles on mostly NY independant labels, Soul Underground magazine(remember that mag? If I REALLY started diggin hard after I started pickin up that mag I might have gotten a lot of hot ish)....I was being exposed to plenty of hip hop that you would NEVER hear in San Diego(well maybe on Craig Fraizers show at UCSD, but then you would need cable radio to listen to it soooo..) I don't dig hard at all these days, but I still try to keep up with the music.

As far as djing mentors, I'll go with my first partner in Junior high dj black, Grandmaster LSD(the first time I used 1200's was at his house. I still remember how I bugged out on them! I brought the mantronix 1st lp and he was buggin on that), La Wreckless, GXD,California Bumpin Crew, Party Boys,...I still am influenced by everybody i listen to in one way or another. So in general I enjoy listening to other dj's do their thing and I pick up a thing or two from listening to their style...

Damn what a waste of time......

• I didn't really learn anything from anyone.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Seriously[/b]

1- I've never looked i someone else's crates and said " What's this?"

2- I've dug with people and had them say" This is dope" but never taken their word.

3- I've never chatted up a store owner/dealer/producer to siphon knowledge.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    apparently I have had an apprentice....

http://www.venuesmagazine.com/0704/djstreetwild.htm

shits funny because she is just a friend of mine I had spin with me because we had similar tastes.

seriously though I think your friends who are also record geeks are your mentors, for life or until you stop collecting, I know I have learned/heard of more ill jernts from friends who dig stuff up than from any forum, magazine, etc.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Do we have to call you "Mr.thehookup" now?

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    so id keep going back to ben v and his shows. then came the infamous paul nice louie/ruel debacle where paul rocked ultimate breaks and old school justice type classics for 2 hours. hearing apache and midnight theme and all that was bananas and it all clicked into place and i didnt give a fuck about much else for a while.

Big co-sign on this, Ben's show on WVKR truly set it off for me, esp. the aforementioned Paul Nice/Rock Steady show. T, I still got a copy of this show with your name on it, hit me w/ a PM if you're rolling up this way.

There's no one I can call a mentor in the truest sense, but I gotta give it up to Mom and Dad for starting the music bug by rearing me on Beatles 8-tracks, my boys Kevin and Junior for exposing me to hiphop in '83, my man portion_control for nearly 20 years of hitting me w/ the next shit, and the radio stations: WPDH (the OG in the classic rock game), KISS-FM and BLS in the 80s, and most importanly WVKR.