Ocular Migraines

CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
a href="http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ocular-migraine/AN01681" target="_blank"1http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ocular-migraine/AN01681/a1b,121b,121So I was trying to read a book on Tuesday after work and I couldn't see the left side of any of the words. Thought I had something in my eye then it got worse. I looked in a mirror and couldn't see the left side of my face. I thought I was having a f*cking stroke or something. My vision came back in about an hour. After a trip to the Dr and the Optometrist it turns out is was just an ocular migraine. b,121b,121Anyone else ever get these? The Doc made it sound common but I have yet to find another person who has them.

Comments

• yeah i get them several times a year

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I used to get these when I'd spend long days working in the darkroom. After 8 hours, the bottom third of my vision would start "fluttering."

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    It makes me feel sick just to think about it.b,121b,121Haven't had them so much lately, but in my younger days... img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bucs.gif" alt="" 21 b,121b,121Usually migraines come from dehydration (and stress of course), so as soon as my eyes would start going crazy...I'd take some codeine with as much water as I could stomach and then get in a bed to sleep before the heachache got a chance to send me into a stupor of excruciating pain.b,121b,121Once played almost a full half of a high school football game with my eyes going crazy like that...and somehow was doing really well before I finally dragged myself over to the bench.b,121b,121But yeah, avoid migraines at all costs.

• My girlfriend called me two nights ago saying that something was wrong. She said that she felt like her eyes were crossing and that when she looked towards her bathroom, it was on a slant! She did not have any pain just slight double vision and the weird dizzy sensation. She went to the DOC and he told her that there are some sort of crystals in your ear that can be come unbalanced and that it was not a cause for too much concern. He also said that maybe if she laid down and looked to the right, sat up and laid down and looked to the left that this might balance this little partying bastards. b,121b,121I passed the link onto her, because this ish happened to her last night, also.b,121b,121Thanks for the post!

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121My girlfriend called me two nights ago saying that something was wrong. She said that she felt like her eyes were crossing and that when she looked towards her bathroom, it was on a slant! She did not have any pain just slight double vision and the weird dizzy sensation. She went to the DOC and he told her that there are some sort of crystals in your ear that can be come unbalanced and that it was not a cause for too much concern. He also said that maybe if she laid down and looked to the right, sat up and laid down and looked to the left that this might balance this little partying bastards.
    b,121
    b,121I passed the link onto her, because this ish happened to her last night, also.
    b,121
    b,121Thanks for the post!
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121No problem, shit was really scary because I had no idea what was going on. I didn't have any pain either except a slight headache after. I think my wife was more freaked out than I was though.

• Thanks for the link, this describes perfectly what I've experienced in the past. I still can't figure out what the cause is, and apparently modern science can't either! Good to know it's probably nothing serious.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121 there are some sort of crystals in your ear that can be come unbalanced
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121These regulate your balance. They essentially float on the surface of a fluid in a sack in your ears, and as you deviate from the horizontal, the fluid remains on the horizontal. Your body then senses the relative position of the crystals to the body, and uses that determine your relationship to the horizontal plane.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I don't think I've ever had an ocular migraine, but I've had regular old migraines before (haven't had one in about a year, knock on wood), and they are straight-up debilitating. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hi.gif" alt="" 21

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i have gotten these. i cant see the bottom left field of vision and it kills. usually has to do with light!b,121b,121makes me sick to my stomach

• Oh man I feel your pain, if you have never had one it's so scary, you think you are going blind!b,121I have only had one, it started in the gym and a was reading a book on the stationary bike and a circular shaped blur started to block my vision and I suddenly became hypersensitive to the terrible gym music and the lights so I left, and was sure I had a brain tumor. When I got outside it was dark but still the lights from restaurants and streetlights were too much! I really could not see properly at all it was fucked up.b,121I got home took aleve and drank water and got into bed with my laptop and googled around my symptoms til I found 'ocular migraine', perfect match.b,121Terrible experience dude.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Hi.b,121b,121I have been getting them for the last 20 years. I get them in clusters. I can go for months without having one and then ill get 4 or 5 in a week. b,121b,121It can be terrifying if you don???t know what you are experiencing.b,121b,121When I used to get them the vision attack would always precede a searing pain that more than once reduced me to a quivering screaming mess as I cried myself to sleep in a pitch-black room.b,121b,121The vision attack is so hard to put into words, a kaleidoscopic swirling pattern that appears beyond my point of focus that starts to change shape as if it were liquid being poured in front of my eyes, wherever this shape is (which can switch randomly from the kaleidoscope to a complete absence of vision) I am blind. Entire sections of my vision freeform melts away with no rhyme or reason to its shape.b,121b,121Over the past 7 or 8 years the pain has ceased to follow the vision attacks, yet I have woken in the morning with what I can only describe as a migraine hangover, and resigned myself to a day dulled by painkillers.b,121b,121As I said, I have had these things for the last 20 years and I have come to recognize the warning signs and have narrowed my triggers down.b,121b,121Maybe they can help save you a couple of attacks.b,121b,121Triggers:/b1b,121b,121Bright light. This is no joke, I have learned to invest in a good pair of sunglasses as bright light (especially sunlight reflected from water or snow) can immediately trigger an attack.b,121b,121Grey days. You know the ones: the sky is pale grey, if you live by the sea, you have a hard time distinguishing the horizon, this type of ???grey??? light is the worst (you are also more likely to be bitten by a shark on a grey day, go figure). b,121b,121Strong contrast (mostly with white as the dominant color) kind of like this bloody screen im staring into)b,121b,121Red wine. Especially in combination with good stinky cheese, chocolate or cigarettes. b,121b,121Warning signs:/b1b,121b,121This is gonna sound f*cking insane, but I feel the attack coming in my teeth first. It is like a tingle, and then my eyes want to focus on short distances, I experience a heightened state of concentration (like a caffeine rush) and then the vision starts to go.b,121b,121All of these warnings can be very subtle and do not necessarily happen in the order I have just described, but I have never had an attack without at least one warning sign first.b,121b,121And now the good news:/b1b,121b,121If I catch it early, usually during the caffeine rush like feeling, I have found that drinking as much water as I can will normally suppress the attack./b1 And when I say as much as I can, I am not kidding, I usually aim for 3 liters in one go, you will be pissing like a champion for the next hour, but at least you???ll be able to see your dick.b,121b,121Hope it helps man,b,121b,121I feel your pain.b,121b,121Alan.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121 you will be pissing like a champion for the next hour, but at least you???ll be able to see your dick.
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121b,121hahahahaha