Obama-Ayers smear campaign = Willie Horton 08?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
So it sounds like the McCain campaign is finally going to start putting out attack ads, trying to link Obama with William Ayers, former of the Weather Underground even though there's no evidence the two are anything more than acquaintances who happened to serve on two non-profit boards together. b,121b,121To say the two "pal around" (as Palin suggested the other day) is political hyperbole but regardless the facts, here's the question: will it work? b,121b,121Discuss.

Comments

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    "Obama hangs with terrorists!!!"b,121b,121(cue 9/11 footage)

• Smells of desperation if you ask me. That said some people out there will eat this stuff up. Whether its the folks that already think Obama is the anti-christ or undecideds remains to be seen.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121So it sounds like the McCain campaign is finally going to start putting out attack ads, trying to link Obama with William Ayers, former of the Weather Underground even though there's no evidence the two are anything more than acquaintances who happened to serve on two non-profit boards together.
    b,121
    b,121To say the two "pal around" (as Palin suggested the other day) is political hyperbole but regardless the facts, here's the question: will it work?
    b,121
    b,121Discuss.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121No, it won't work. McCainiacs will be excited to have Obama holding hands with 60s radicals in their mindgardens, but normal people will be like "who cares". If Ayers was BLACK, different story. Plus, as pundits have noted, this is old news, one of the few positive aspects of being under the microscope through the Clinton primary war. To set this in contrast to the CURRENT economic crisis is a study in stark contrast and exposes the McCain campaign as empty and desperate to move on to other topics.

I want to see some Dem 527 attack ads juxtaposing befuddled / angry McCain 'senior moments' with some Palin interview incompetence jibberishb,121b,121"IS THIS A RISK AMERICA CAN AFFORD TO TAKE?"b,121b,121lol

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Palin just gave a speech about this yesterday in S. Cal. Going negative was also the headline of a report on the McCain campaign day before yesterday in the SF Chron. It's what I've been saying. Since the Republican convention he's given up on swaying the independents, and will just concentrate on the Republican base and use negative ads to bring down the independent vote. It's a proven tactic. The more negative you go, the less independents and occasional voters get to the polls. That leaves only the people that always vote, which also makes it easier to predict the outcomes by states, districts, etc.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Palin just gave a speech about this yesterday in S. Cal. Going negative was also the headline of a report on the McCain campaign day before yesterday in the SF Chron. It's what I've been saying. Since the Republican convention he's given up on swaying the independents, and will just concentrate on the Republican base and use negative ads to bring down the independent vote. It's a proven tactic. The more negative you go, the less independents and occasional voters get to the polls. That leaves only the people that always vote, which also makes it easier to predict the outcomes by states, districts, etc.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Which is where they know they have an uphill climb as Obama's grassroots efforts to register new voters are unprecedented. I am not saying by any stretch it's a done deal, but this negative shit cuts both ways. When the Obama camp starts liking McCain to 'ancient history' like the Keating 5, this shit could really get ugly for McCain. He was in deep in an ECONOMIC scandal in which he had to admit to being taken in by Keating, who was then convicted. And that's just the most obvious of McCain's unsavory associations, I am sure they are piecing together more. But Obama himself has the challenge to remain cool and above the pettiness and negativity, so he can continue to look like the one in the race who is solid and dependable. Every day McCain is looking more unsteady and pissed off is good for Obama.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121"Obama hangs with terrorists!!!"
    b,121
    b,121(cue 9/11 footage)
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm really looking forward to when these people are gone.

bitch doesn't even know what 'exceptionalism' isb,121b,121F*ck her

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    whew- I read that as Obama-Ayres smear campaign and I got worried!b,121b,121b,121 img src="http://www.oxfordamericanmag.com/articleimages/82p.jpg"1

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I'm really looking forward to when these people are gone.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Evil fucks. November can't come soon enough.

• unfortunately, most of M.C. Cain's supporters probably don't have the desire or internets to learn more about the weathermen. b,121b,121imho, despite their tragic mistakes, the weathermen were an important group at a critical time in our nations history. b,121b,121for lack of any other good points... USA, USA!

• Yeah, I was wondering how long they were going to wait before they stooped to this kind of bullshit. So predictable. These people make me sick to my stomach. b,121b,121I know a lot of you people are in larger cities that lean left..but believe me, the average American has no clue who the Weather Underground were, and this shit will scare the hell out of them. I hate to admit it, but this will be an effective tactic for what they are trying to accomplish. b,121b,121It's hard to be optimistic when you are surrounded by cocky ignorant people that would elect a KKK Grand Wizard into office before Obama.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121(cue 9/11 footage)
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    object width="425" height="344"1
    param name="movie" value=""1
    /param1
    param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1
    /param1
    embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1
    /embed1
    /object1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121"Excuse me... sole black man in the audience? Could you please stand behind Palin? Not for any reason... but it would help us out a lot."

• img src="http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/04/24/timestopics/ayers.jpg"1b,121b,121@ SouthCrackalackb,121b,121I don't think these two are scaring anyone.b,121b,121As smears go, this is some pretty weak shit.

• Ha

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121(cue 9/11 footage)
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    object width="425" height="344"1
    param name="movie" value=""1
    /param1
    param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1
    /param1
    embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1
    /embed1
    /object1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121What a poisonous cunt!b,121Should this fashist jesus whore become vice president I'm going to be the F*ck out of here in a heartbeat... don't think I'm even going to unpack all our moving boxes before the elections.b,121b,121She's not dumb, I think she only hides her evil, malicious core with a soft layer of fake, country dumbness. Creepy!b,121b,121This country is standing in front of an abyss.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121This country is standing in front of an abyss.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121And you haven't even seen the new 30-minute Sean Hannity piece hit job. You know: the one that talks about Barack Obama and hisb,121b,121/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121occasional flag pin.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121So it sounds like the McCain campaign is finally going to start putting out attack ads, trying to link Obama with William Ayers, former of the Weather Underground even though there's no evidence the two are anything more than acquaintances who happened to serve on two non-profit boards together.
    b,121
    b,121To say the two "pal around" (as Palin suggested the other day) is political hyperbole but regardless the facts, here's the question: will it work?
    b,121
    b,121Discuss.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121What you mean to say is that you are not aware of any evidence the two are anything more than acquaintances. You being ignorant of something doesn't mean it 's not true, in fact, in your case, it probably means the opposite.b,121b,121b,121A nice summary of some of those links a href="http://noquarterusa.net/blog/2008/10/04/the-new-york-times-drops-the-ball-on-ayers-and-obama/" target="_blank"1here/a1. b,121b,121BONUS CRAZY OBAMA ASSOCIATE:b,121b,121The video below is of one Samantha Powers, a former foreign policy adviser to Obama's campaign who was forced to quite after being recorded calling clinton a 'monster'. Despite this she has stated that she would serve in an Obama administration should he become president. Take a look at this short video and get a peek at what an Obama administration's foreign policy might look like. Crazy shit.b,121b,121object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I assume that you've taken a class or two in logic, bloke. This guilt-by-association shit didn't work half a year ago on the American people, and it isn't working now. Check a href="http://www.realclearpolitics.com/" target="_blank"1RCP/a1.b,121b,121By the way: Obama is really starting to reel-in these a href="http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/maps/obama_vs_mccain/#data" target="_blank"1battleground states/a1 now. The trends are really unmistakable, and there is less than a month to go. I'll bet that the tomorrow's volley of polling puts Obama - who currently is polling at 353-185 with no toss-ups - at greater than 6.0 in the overall popular vote.b,121b,121All this news should certainly make a proud Patriot like you sick, Dolo. If only you would stoop down to our level and take part in our elections so your voice would actually count. For shame.

• I think this smear game shit is ridiculous too, but once again it's glass houses:b,121b,121 a href="http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/10/palins_attack_on_obamas_patrio.php" target="_blank"1Palin's Attack On Obama's Patriotism Legitimizes Questions About The Palins' Association With Group Founded By America-Hating Secessionist/a1b,121b,121Sarah Palin attacked Obama's patriotism today over his association with former Weatherman Bill Ayers -- a move that makes it perfectly legitimate to raise questions about the Palins' associations with a group founded by an Alaska secessionist who once professed his "hatred for the American government" and cursed our "damn flag."b,121b,121In Colorado today, Palin seized on the big front-page New York Times story about Ayers and Obama, which concludes that the two men "do not appear to have been close," to launch her most vicious attack yet on the Illinois Senator -- a harbinger of what's to come.b,121b,121"This is not a man who sees America as you and I do -- as the greatest force for good in the world," Palin said. "This is someone who sees America as imperfect enough to pal around with terrorists who targeted their own country."b,121b,121If Palin is going to say this, it is now perfectly legitimate to point out that she repeatedly courted a secessionist group founded by someone who openly professed hatred of the American government, cursed our flag, and wanted to secede from the Union. Sarah's husband, Todd Palin, was a member of this group, which continues to venerate that founder to this day, for years.b,121b,121As you already know, the group is the Alaska Independence Party, which sees as its ultimate goal seceding from the union. Todd was a member, with a brief exception, from 1995 until 2002, according to the Division of Elections in Alaska.b,121b,121And though Sarah Palin herself was apparently not a member of this group, there's no doubt that she repeatedly courted this secessionist organization over the years. In 1994, Palin attended the group's annual convention, according to witnesses who spoke to ABC News' Jake Tapper. The McCain campaign has confirmed she visited the group's 2000 convention, and she addressed its convention this year, as an incumbent governor whose oath of office includes upholding the Constitution of the United States.b,121b,121The founder of the AIP was a man named Joe Vogler. Here's what he had to say in a 1991 interview, only a few years before Palin attended its convention: "The fires of hell are frozen glaciers compared to my hatred for the American government."b,121b,121He also said this: "And I won't be buried under their damn flag. I'll be buried in Dawson. And when Alaska is an independent nation they can bring my bones home."b,121b,121Vogler has also said: "I'm an Alaskan, not an American. I've got no use for America or her damned institutions."b,121b,121McCain apologists will argue that Sarah Palin was not a member of this group. But Obama wasn't a member of any Ayers anti-American group, either. And again, Palin repeatedly courted the AIP, and her husband was a member for years.b,121b,121The main takeaway from today's Times story is that Obama's ties to Ayers are, if anything, less substantial than commonly alleged. So if the Ayers association means Obama "palled around" with "terrorists," as Palin put it today, surely Palin can be said to have "palled around" with a secessionist party whose founder openly professed hatred of America.b,121b,121If Palin is going to directly question Obama's patriotism over his association Ayers, surely all these facts are now fair game and freshly relevant.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    don't foget michele and barak's terrorist "fist jab" as commented on FOX newsb,121b,121these people need to be terminated with extreme prejudiceb,121b,121b,121oh... and frank how could germany/europe be worse than the us?b,121if i had the money or a job offer in Berlin /amsterdam i would be gone yesterday

• They have been running these Ayers ads in VA for a couple of months. Shit is already old news. Last gasp.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    I'm dreading how nasty the campaigning is going to get swiftboating-wise in the final weeks, only because we've seen McCain/Palin's campaign take huge risks when they are desperate and I don't think the Dems are as good at playing dirty.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I'm dreading how nasty the campaigning is going to get swiftboating-wise in the final weeks, only because we've seen McCain/Palin's campaign take huge risks when they are desperate and I don't think the Dems are as good at playing dirty.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121The question is whether the Dems NEED to play dirty.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I'm dreading how nasty the campaigning is going to get swiftboating-wise in the final weeks, only because we've seen McCain/Palin's campaign take huge risks when they are desperate and I don't think the Dems are as good at playing dirty.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121a href="" target="_blank"1

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121The question is whether the Dems NEED to play dirty.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I think they should take the high road. The economy is the biggest negative out there and it should be enough to get Obama elected. b,121Its sad because McCain (fair or not) used to be perceived as a high road kind of guy but his campaign is getting desperate.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121The question is whether the Dems NEED to play dirty.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121You're right. I worry because it had effectively hurt them in the past.b,121b,121As long as the economy is ailing (yikes @ the Dow falling below 10,000 today), I have some faith that folks will stay focused and not fall for smears.

• Obama is polling nationally at 50%. I don't think he needs to get too dirty, just maintain quick responses to accusations, separate him from Bush, and focus on the economy (stupid).