African raers

NeverEnoughMoneyNeverEnoughMoney 300 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Are there any good spots in NY for African records? I'm tired of looking at the same ol' 100 or so records in A1's African section. Or, is there some reason why African records don't make it over here? I refuse to believe that it is because a lot of records don't get made over there. I guess it could be because African music was never commercially viable over here in the way that latin grooves were. I'm down for a discussion of this topic, but at the end of the day I'm just looking for a spot with African records. Any help?

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Or, is there some reason why African records don't make it over here?

K in Canada intercepts them.

• Options
    Oh, it was available there more than any other place in North America. Most of the records are with dealers and collectors, however.

K in Canada.

• Man, never heard of either of these places. They still around?

Thanks. This is really appreciated.

• Options
    Man, never heard of either of these places. They still around?

I doubt it. I think I tried to one place to no avail. Dealers and collectors have known about these stores for years (and others, I have different stickers on other records). If you end up finding one of them, hook a informative brother up!

K.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Man, never heard of either of these places. They still around?

Brooklyn spots were pillaged years ago.

I have some (fairly pricy) African records in stock, that you probably haven't seen... I just put them out.

My only advice is - go where there are Africans. Like anything, do the legwork and you'll turn up some things.

• Options
    From my expereience, 99% of the African families I've met did not bring their records with them. Asking questions if African arts stores have led em in the right direction once or twice.

Kevin.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

My only advice is - go where there are liberal academics[/b]. Like anything, do the legwork and you'll turn up some things.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

My only advice is - go where there are liberal academics[/b]. Like anything, do the legwork and you'll turn up some things.

What, field recordings? I don't know any academics with afrobeat collections....

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    A recent customer at the store I work at was going on and on about this store that used to exist in my town, run by a surly African dude that was extremely condescending to his customers... all African records, old and new... melted my fucking face off that such a thing existed in NC at all... apparantly it closed before I was looking for such things, but I don't think anyone knew it existed in the first place...

• Options
    A recent customer at the store I work at was going on and on about this store that used to exist in my town, run by a surly African dude that was extremely condescending to his customers... all African records, old and new... melted my fucking face off that such a thing existed in NC at all... apparantly it closed before I was looking for such things, but I don't think anyone knew it existed in the first place...

M.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

What, field recordings? I don't know any academics with afrobeat collections....

no, he's right... i've seen liberal, overeducated, middle aged white folk with DOPE collections of classic reggae imports, as well as afrobeat. these are the same cats who collected blues and folk records in the early 60's. then they moved on to another example of impoverished negro genius.

(anyone wanna buy my collection of grime 12"s in 2030?)

there are still spots out in Brooklyn where you can find this stuff on occasion (just like you can still find dope 60's latin stuff and nice 70's reggae) i just don't think anyone's gonna spill their hook up here... it's just a matter of putting in the work to find them...

• Options
    i just don't think anyone's gonna spill their hook up here... it's just a matter of putting in the work to find them...

Those nerdy girls were dating African guys in the 60s.... dude, I could have been born half-ghanian! Which I can't even spell!

(anyone wanna buy my collection of grime 12"s in 2030?)

Haha, no! But I like your sense of irony. leave them for your kids to laugh at for years and then one day dig out and act like they just discovered reality.

• If any of the info you posted leads me to anything worthwhile I'll definitely hit you off with any information. I appreciate the leads.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    If any of the info you posted leads me to anything worthwhile I'll definitely hit you off with any information. I appreciate the leads.

E.O.N. African Market at 1194 Nostrand is the African Record Centre. Still there. Every LP is $20. Nothing really worth buying. Has been cleaned out many years ago. But go by there. Coolest stuff there is the video collection on the wall. They might still have copies of Les Maravillas de Mali- the makossa release of it. Great early Malian latin LP. They also most likely have some remaining stock on the Lafayette Afro Rock Group - Voodounon 12" if that's your thing (not mine at all though).

That lead won't get you far.

The other one on 7th ave. was the ARC's other distribution site in Harlem, I believe. Long since shut down.

• Damn. Thanks for the heads up, but I'll be damned if that wasn't a