Skye Label

2»

Comments

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    The upcoming Wax Poetics will have a definite history of Skye Records.

Owner/artist Gary McFarland was dosed/poisoned (with liquid methadone) at a bar and died. He was in his early thirties.

Anybody on here ever heard Gary McFarlands Pecos Pete track from his Point Of Departure Impulse album, a funky vamp recorded in 1963.... EARLY-ISH!!!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Still haven't heard the Armando Perez. Is it similar to the Tjader stuff?

similar, yes, but not as hard hitting as Sounds out Bacharach or Solar Heat, IMO. But tougher and a bit more oomph than the Szabo LPs.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Owner/artist Gary McFarland was dosed/poisoned (with liquid methadone) at a bar and died. He was in his early thirties.
    I think McFarland had a little "thing" with the Genesis girls.

Anybody on here ever heard Gary McFarlands Pecos Pete track from his Point Of Departure Impulse album, a funky vamp recorded in 1963.... EARLY-ISH!!!

That is an excellent record! Pretty common for an early impulse! too.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    yeah that McFarland impulse LP is pretty good.

Other Skye LPs not yet mentioned:

Slaves / Bobby Scott (SK11; w/ McFarland, Grady Tate)
    Black is brown and brown is beautiful / Ruth Brown (SK13)

never actually heard these, but i figured, might as well be thorough (or should we say, 'definite')

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    yeah that McFarland impulse LP is pretty good.

Other Skye LPs not yet mentioned:

Slaves / Bobby Scott (SK11; w/ McFarland, Grady Tate)
    Black is brown and brown is beautiful / Ruth Brown (SK13)

never actually heard these, but i figured, might as well be thorough (or should we say, 'definite')

Yo a quick runthrough of The Slaves OST: starts out with the Slaves inst track, sounds a bit like Weve Only Just Begun to start out with, then gets a bit heavier, the vocal version becomes more gospel bluesy, the rest of side A has a bit of soundtrack-bigband-funk, mellow moodyness and some country banjo steez. Side B starts out with a worksong, then some lounge-bossa-ish-jazz, more blues, a brassy inst worksong-ish vamp and finish's of with moody organ and vocals....

(not the craziest ost in the crates)

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts

I'll be sure to tell the Genesis girls (as well as Mrs. McFarland) what you "think."

FYI this is not even a rumor around anyone remotely associated with the project. It is true that Wendy had a crush on Gary, but in the same idle way you have a crush on Minnie Ripperton or whoever. She had a boyfriend at the time as well.

Dudes, keep this imagined bullshit to yourself; these are real living people.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    boyakashaka!

D*nte and D*uglas droppin' science

• as long as u dont bag on my mama i take no offense. i am a personal friend of bill watrous, if u dont like his hardoo u can go *%#*#*@*!*.

fuk a break

gabor dreams bitches

I'll be sure to tell the Genesis girls (as well as Mrs. McFarland) what you "think."

FYI this is not even a rumor around anyone remotely associated with the project. It is true that Wendy had a crush on Gary, but in the same idle way you have a crush on Minnie Ripperton or whoever. She had a boyfriend at the time as well.

However, this rumor is far less shocking than the allegations that Gary Mcfarland molested Jerry Mathers. That's right, the beaver!

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    I believe I should have said "for" and not "with."
    Didn't mean to offend, but this was the feeling I got from reading through the article that will appear in WP. I understand people can get sensitive when one talks about something they are personally involved with, but also understand that there are billions of people in the world and some of them often ignorantly fill-in-the-blanks.

And for the record, I never had a crush on Minnie Riperton. Megan McDonough maybe, but not Minnie.

I believe I should have said "for" and not "with." Didn't mean to offend, but this was the feeling I got from reading through the article that will appear in WP. I understand people can get sensitive when one talks about something they are personally involved with, but also understand that there are billions of people in the world and some of them often ignorantly fill-in-the-blanks.

Yeah, I plead guilty to being overly sensitive about lies and/or insinuations being published about folks who either a. have no interest in being written about by some dude they've never even heard of or b. are no longer living. I'm particularly sensitive because I know how much Wendy and Bonnie value their privacy and how hurt they have been by some of the idiotic things written about them -- things which invariably say more about their inventive authors than they do about W&B.

I'm curious to know what WP has to say about Skye that Doug Payne didn't already document on his website.

Whoever's writing the Skye article is strongly advised to contact Irwin Chusid or myself before this shit goes to press. Either one of us can put them in touch with Wendy and Bonnie, or Gail McFarland for that matter.

The fact is McFarland and the girls met once prior to recording, and then there were three session dates -- and that's it. McFarland lived in NYC, the girls lived in the Bay Area, and the sessions took place in LA. These meetings were fully supervised and like I said, Wendy had a crush on Gary but she also had a boyfriend at the time. If Gary ever so much as looked at either sister funny I would have heard about it. I devoted nearly a year of my life to this story and interviewed practically every living participant. I approached it all with a healthy degree of skepticism but also a consciousness of my own human impulse towards sensationalization. There are a lot of interesting, true stories about "Genesis." That McFarland had "a thing" for the girls is what you came away with from reading the article tells me that someone is fucking up.

There's a documentary about McFarland. It contains the only known footage of McFarland as well as 90 minutes of interviews about him, and it's recommended viewing. Sometimes merely looking at a person makes it a little harder to lie about them.

dbm

the mcfarland doc is out? Where can one see it?

It's not out as far as I know. But if you sent $10 bucks to the filmmaker I bet he'd send you a copy.

http://www.thisisgarymcfarland.com

dope! I've been waiting like 2 years to see this. I have kind of "a thing" for him.

sorry...

• that's amazingly cool and obscure. rad nuggets. wendie and bonnie shred and so does gabor. bill plummer is a cheeseball. macfarland is ehh. sky is radical. have an exciting week on soulstrut.

ap

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    so who killed him? any ideas?

• chrischris 287 Posts
    so who killed him? any ideas?

according to hoffenberg, it seems like he may have (inadvertently) killed himself.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    this thread is crazy!

its weird before soulstrut, i wouldnt have even THOUGHT there were other fans of wendy and bonnie, or skye for that matter

i was under the impression that grady tate owned it.

im just in awe right now. soulstrut is hilarious

• the guy from Stereolab is also a great fan of Wendy & Bonnie..

(Mason) Hoffenberg, the co-author with (Terry Southern) of "Candy" and lifelong drug addict degenerate, showed up at a closed NYC bar with his new thing -- liquid methadone. What exactly happened there will never be known for sure, but McFarland and another guy ODed on the spot. It was reported as a heart attack, but that's what happened.

As for Stereolab, I crashed a show of theirs at the Fillmore with Wendy and her husband, got to smoke cigarettes and watch from a roped off VIP private booth, kicked it with the band after the show, and took Tim Gane record shopping the next day. Yes. I have a feeling that Tim has a better collection than most of us here, but he is about the most modest and sweet person in the world. From what I could tell Laetitia was actually the more enthusiastic W&B fan.

Earlier that year at the Fillmore Wendy fulfilled a 35 year old dream and got up on stage there, to duet on "Hello Sunshine" with that group Super Furry Animals, who started their record with a full 30 second clip of the W&B song "By the Sea."

Sorry to be such a know it all but I don't have a lot of people in my life who appreciate hearing these stories.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    Sorry to be such a know it all but I don't have a lot of people in my life who appreciate hearing these stories.

loving the stories o' bearded one, keep sharing !

Sorry to be such a know it all but I don't have a lot of people in my life.

yeah, that's why we're all here.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

However, this rumor is far less shocking than the allegations that Gary Mcfarland molested Jerry Mathers. That's right, the beaver!

No way! I though if anbody were to molest the beaver, it would have been tony dow (or fred rutherford)...

No way! I though if anbody were to molest the beaver, it would have been tony dow (or fred rutherford)...

Tony Dow pimped him. but, again, just rumores...

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Etch-a-sketch raer?? wussup douglas??