buying things from BUMS (NRR)

autezautez 404 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
some dude i know just bought this laptop for $67 i guess he was drunk walking around downtown and a bum asked him if he wanted to buy a laptop. it was in a fedex box and wrapped in ALOT of tape so he couldnt open it. he bought it, brought it to my house and opened it and the only thing indside was yellowpages and that monitor cable. i think they put that severed monitor cable in there just to make him look like more of an idiot

Comments

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    whether that's really happened, or its a joke, that rocks!

• autezautez 404 Posts
    really happened dude. at like 5am last night. this guy is a dumbass (always does stupid shit like this) but be careful out there fellow strutters when you buy something from a crackhead at 5am

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    One of the oldest tricks on the street...

Usually try to put one over on you with Vid cams...

Your friend must have been really drunk or is very... Ummm... He from the surbs?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

TOOK ONES PT. 2

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    be careful out there fellow strutters when you buy something from a crackhead at 5am

Super old scam. These bums are artists with the tape & saran wrap. If you call them on it they'll still insist it's a laptop (or whatever).

Even if you say "hey crackhead, I really like the work you've done with this.... is it old newspapers??" NO MANG ITS A CELL DONT U KNOW WUT A CELL PHONE LOOKS LIKE (while he's waving a brown package with a bunch of cell phones taken from advertisements collaged with some old UPS label)

I had this happen to me in my early teens. I think the week before I tried to buy weed and had them pull an "uhmm.... yeah give us your $, see that awning, we'll meet you over there in an hour... we have to go see our dude... yeah just keep waiting we'll be back.. BYE."

They will go to any lengths to keep you from checking out the goods.... super strong tape & weird packing that they picked from a dumpster. Sometimes they'll put it in a bag and pass it to you, and if you try to look at it they'll say "NONONO DONT PULL IT OUT HERE". a million variations. They are artists I'm telling you.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I hear that's been happening with G5 boxes. Don't buy shit from the street w/out pluggin' it in.

On a record related note, I bought a sealed copy of the Coup's Genocide & Juice for $.99 from a homeless guy.

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
    Just last week I bought Cal Green's "Trippin'" LP and Phil Upchurch's "Upchurch" LP off a bum.

• I hear that's been happening with G5 boxes. Don't buy shit from the street w/out pluggin' it in.

On a record related note, I bought a sealed copy of the Coup's Genocide & Juice for $.99 from a homeless guy.

yeah didnt someone post a recent G5 scam on here? maybe it was another board. same trick though..I mean..honestly..whos stupid enough to fall for it without opening it/trying it? No offense to your friend..but I wouldnt even think about it unless i saw it(and plugged it in for that matter).

anyways..is your friend selling that new laptop? I have been needing one.

• Options
    One of the oldest tricks on the street...

Usually try to put one over on you with Vid cams...

Your friend must have been really drunk or is very... Ummm... He from the surbs?

Oh, Scarborough got crackheads.

K.

• autezautez 404 Posts

anyways..is your friend selling that new laptop? I have been needing one.
    i guess its mine now he just left it on my table.. how much you looking to spend here

• silvertonesilvertone 765 Posts
    Kev:

Warden Station rock rock on!

• Options
    Kev:

Warden Station rock rock on!

Where have all the rockers gone? Fuck, Scarborough was the rocker capital of the world for a while there. Mike Myers made millions off imitating them.

Moved to 'shwa and became accountants for GEneral Motors I guess.

First BT, Cocopuff (a suprise attack), hash oil, and sexual experience all came at the hands of one rocker or another.

Two recoils of my recoiling keychain and I'm out, K.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Scarborough country?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    It's always preferable to buy off smackheads rather than crackheads... I recently got a pair of m-audio monitors

for $12. I think he asked for $10. He's the same guy who tried to sell me crates I'd thrown out the day before. Desperado.

And since it all stolen goods, maybe you'll buy it cheap and find out it was someone you know who got got robbed. They'll refund what you paid and it'll be good karma all round! Happened with a CD mixer I bought last summer.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    It's always preferable to buy off smackheads rather than crackheads...

Truth, one of my friends bought two, one year old, 1200s from a smackhead for $200. The dude had bought them new because he wanted to start djing and producing, he became a smackhead instead. Bad trade.

On another note, when I first moved to NY, a friend and I were approached in Washington Square Park by a crackhead who wanted to sell us hash. My friend takes a look and says, "Man, this is dog shit!" I was like "What, you mean its bad?" "No its dog shit, literally!" The crack head snatched it out his hand and was like "Aww fuck!" hahahaha

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

it'll be good karma all round!

uhhh...i'm not above buying stolen goods, but I'm pretty sure I'm not doing wonders for my karma by doing it. which I'm cool with.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    It's always preferable to buy off smackheads rather than crackheads... I recently got a pair of m-audio monitors

for $12. I think he asked for $10. He's the same guy who tried to sell me crates I'd thrown out the day before. Desperado.

And since it all stolen goods, maybe you'll buy it cheap and find out it was someone you know who got got robbed. They'll refund what you paid and it'll be good karma all round! Happened with a CD mixer I bought last summer.

dam, I just got a pair of those this past week. Even though they where on sale, shit was still way above 12$

I have a little homeless person record digging route I sometimes do. No matter how much or how little I buy I always give dudes an extra few bucks.

• A couple of years ago I was chilling at a clothing store where a friend of mine used to work, being near Amsterdam Central station you get a lot of junkies coming in trying to sell you whatever..that day this junkie came in running with two Technics 1200's new in the box!! I think he had just stolen them from a DJ equiptment store down the street anyway he had no idea what he had, he just saw the boxes picked them up and started running i guess..I think he wanted like 50 bux for them, i guess he thought who in hell would still want to buy a turntable, and offcourse he just wanted a quick score.
    just as my friend wanted to give him the cash, his idiot co-worker runs in from the back and outbids everyone in the store yelling out i will pay you 500 right now!! that shit was sooo i guess the junkie had a blast that day tough

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

Or it could encourage them to steal more shit, the next being yours.