Genius Grant for Turntablist/Instrument Builder

SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
edited September 2008 in Strut Central
a href="http://www.kqed.org/arts/programs/spark/profile.jsp?essid=8440"1Walter Kitundu/a1 was one of 25 recipients of this year's a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/23/arts/23fell.html?ref=todayspaper"1MacArthur Foundation genius grant/a1. b,121b,121He makes some damned interesting instruments, always using turntables:b,121b,121img src="http://farm1.static.flickr.com/196/476474971_f69d74ddda.jpg?v=0" 21b,121b,121b,121ps I can't find it on YouTube, but Stephen Colbert ripping on John Zorn after he won the genius grant a few years ago was beyond funny.

Comments

• Thats cool... i saw someone else doing this before... with stuff sticking up from a turntable platter... that stuff rotated under a bow that played this cool little 8 note melody. b,121b,121Sound Sculptures are cool... The guys from "the books" do cool shit with stuff like that.

• I just watched the video related to that article:b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21b,121b,121This guy is crazy inspiring.

• wow - that is brilliant

• Dizzy Bull needs to report to this thread. Or whatever his name is these days.

• Tara Donovan, one of the other winners, gave one of the shittiest interviews about her own art that I have ever read. It basically consisted of her informing people that she can't be bothered to make it, and made her come across as seriously greedy, and driven not by genius but by money. (and, I have no problem with artists using assistants. Something about her delivery is a permanent turnoff.)b,121b,121It seriously depresses me that she won. God, that was a rough article on her.b,121b,121This dude seems great, though.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Tara Donovan, one of the other winners, gave one of the shittiest interviews about her own art that I have ever read. It basically consisted of her informing people that she can't be bothered to make it, and made her come across as seriously greedy, and driven not by genius but by money. (and, I have no problem with artists using assistants. Something about her delivery is a permanent turnoff.)b,121b,121It seriously depresses me that she won. God, that was a rough article on her.b,121b,121This dude seems great, though. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1 b,121b,121Her picture in the NY Times seems to give that impression. Ob,121b,121Of all the grants given over the years, the "art" grants have always been suspect. The choices never really seem based on aspects other then art. i.e. art work BS.

• b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/green30sv.gif" alt="" 21

• Absolutely stunning.

• I am beyond amazed at how that sounds.b,121Dam that is inspiring to say the least.

• i had seen this guys turntables many many times before but never had a chance to hear what they sounded like.

• I saw him like with matmos, and it was img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    He had a show in SF in 2006 - this little space off Market St. - that my wife took me to. Unfortunately, our daughter was getting too impatient to let us stay around to hear him on the instruments but the visual design was really incredible. He had a room full of different turntable designs (I'm pretty sure I created a thread about it somewhere in the Soulstrut archives). b,121b,121Kudos for the MacArthur! (Also, he was on NPR today - ALl Things Considered - in case anyone wants to listen to the interview).b,121a href="http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=94932341" target="_blank"1http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=94932341/a1

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121b,121Of all the grants given over the years, the "art" grants have always been suspect. The choices never really seem based on aspects other then art. i.e. art work BS. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I love art, and I LOVE conceptual art; I embrace the concepts of assistants, fabrication, and the idea that an artist need never touch their art.b,121b,121But, the way she presented it was such a turnoff; basically, "I used to make my art; but, if I had to now, it would be too much work." Please to step the Fusk off with that.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    This dude is definitely quietly shitting on real hip hop.