~Waxidermy Appreciation Post!~

2»

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Soulstrut is kosher at work, but waxidermy is blocked. Go figure.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Can you connect to google.com? If so, try using the google translator as a proxy by using this link.b,121b,121a href="http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://waxidermy.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=3&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=es&tl=en" target="_blank"1http://translate.google.com/translate?u=...F-8&sl=es&tl=en/a1

• i don't understand what a 'boner' record is????b,121b,121someone please clarify!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121i don't understand what a 'boner' record is????
    b,121
    b,121someone please clarify!
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121img src="http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/13/toddjs0.jpg"1

• i'm afraid i'm none the wiser. unless a boner record is a record with an awful cover.b,121b,121which begs the question, why is1it called a boner record??

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121How to identify a boner in 8 easy steps.
    b,121
    b,1211) Is the featured artist white1(or an ethnic person looking very white). If yes, proceed to next question.
    b,121
    b,1212) Is this artist holding an acoustic guitar on the cover or playing an organ in their living room? If yes, proceed to next question.
    b,121
    b,1213) Is the cover photo in black and white? If yes, proceed to next question.
    b,121
    b,1214) Does the artist have a beard or Dorothy Hammil cut. If yes, proceed to next question.
    b,121
    b,1215) Have you forgotten the title of the record because it is so totally generic as make you flaccid just thinking about it. If yes, proceed to next question.
    b,121
    b,1216) Does the artist cover Buy the Time I Get to Phoenix or Tie1A Yellow Ribbon. If yes, proceed to next question.
    b,121
    b,1217) Is there a diesel truck featured on the cover. If yes, proceed to next question.
    b,121
    b,1218.) Is the record recorded live at a hotel/motel/lounge/rest stop/sea1food restaurant/sea1world. If yes, Ding, Ding, Ding. Ladies and gentleman we have a certified boner
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121I've been going through the thread and have discerned these boner subclasses.
    b,121
    b,121Pederast Boner (most desireable subclass)
    b,121Black and White1Hand Drawn Self-Portrait Boner
    b,121Matching Suits/Floor Length Dresses Christian Boner
    b,121Birth Defect/Retard/War Injury/Blind Not Wearing Sunglasses Boner (highly desireable, somewhat disputed category)
    b,121International Moustache Boner
    b,121Mundane/Co-Worker Boner (largest and most representative of boner types)
    b,121Space/Cosmic Related Boner
    b,121Homosexual (but rarely Gays) Boner
    b,121Litefrost
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121But at the end of the day I think a whole lot of it just comes down to vibes.

• thanks for clearing that up.b,121b,121i think i would recognise a boner if i saw one now.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121How to identify a boner in 8 easy steps.
    b,121
    b,1211) Is the featured artist white1(or an ethnic person looking very white). If yes, proceed to next question.
    b,121
    b,1212) Is this artist holding an acoustic guitar on the cover or playing an organ in their living room? If yes, proceed to next question.
    b,121
    b,1213) Is the cover photo in black and white? If yes, proceed to next question.
    b,121
    b,1214) Does the artist have a beard or Dorothy Hammil cut. If yes, proceed to next question.
    b,121
    b,1215) Have you forgotten the title of the record because it is so totally generic as make you flaccid just thinking about it. If yes, proceed to next question.
    b,121
    b,1216) Does the artist cover Buy the Time I Get to Phoenix or Tie1A Yellow Ribbon. If yes, proceed to next question.
    b,121
    b,1217) Is there a diesel truck featured on the cover. If yes, proceed to next question.
    b,121
    b,1218.) Is the record recorded live at a hotel/motel/lounge/rest stop/sea1food restaurant/sea1world. If yes, Ding, Ding, Ding. Ladies and gentleman we have a certified boner
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121I've been going through the thread and have discerned these boner subclasses.
    b,121
    b,121Pederast Boner (most desireable subclass)
    b,121Black and White1Hand Drawn Self-Portrait Boner
    b,121Matching Suits/Floor Length Dresses Christian Boner
    b,121Birth Defect/Retard/War Injury/Blind Not Wearing Sunglasses Boner (highly desireable, somewhat disputed category)
    b,121International Moustache Boner
    b,121Mundane/Co-Worker Boner (largest and most representative of boner types)
    b,121Space/Cosmic Related Boner
    b,121Homosexual (but rarely Gays) Boner
    b,121Litefrost
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121But at the end of the day I think a whole lot of it just comes down to
    vibes.1b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121In a nutshell, it's records that really suck! Great for package fillers.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121It's sorta like when you find out that hippos are feared man-eaters, huh?
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/841.gif" alt="" /1

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I can't help thinking this is what Ricky Schroder should of looked like grown up, not how he actually turned out:b,121b,121/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1

• Here's the thing: Why do all records ultimately have to sound good for people to care? Is there no room to appreciate an album for its cover art,1vibes, or perspective, regardless of the music within? The LP record became a folk medium once it became affordable enough for the everyman to create one. Dismissing a person's vision because you don't like the1music is short-sighted and little dude. I know1many people that collect beautiful looking books with bullshit contents, or naive art that doesn't "work" but is1in the end intriguing and engaging. The rise of the Boner(!) came about when every single dude on the planet started looking for the same 200 records, and all of the fun and excitement left the hobby. Just saying that there are multiple, complex1facets to a work of art, so to boil an LP down to simply "Does it sound good?" is missing the point entirely.1And I say all of this as a deep1fan of good, thoughtful music.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    ^^^^^^^^ BAD MUSIC APOLOGIST

• ^^ CLOSED MIND EBABY ^^

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    So when everyone is looking for the same 200 Bonerz, what next? Reggae?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I ride for Bonerz. The object/cover art/implications > music.b,121b,121Just another subset of record love.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Here's the thing: Why do all records ultimately have to
    sound good for people to care? Is there no room to appreciate an album for its cover art,1vibes, or perspective, regardless of the music within? The LP record became a folk medium once it became affordable enough for the everyman to create one. Dismissing a person's vision because you don't like the1music is short-sighted and little dude. I know1many people that collect beautiful looking books with bullshit contents, or naive art that doesn't "work" but is1in the end intriguing and engaging. The rise of the Boner(!) came about when every single dude on the planet started looking for the same 200 records, and all of the fun and excitement left the hobby. Just saying that there are multiple, complex1facets to a work of art, so to boil an LP down to simply "Does it sound good?" is missing the point entirely.1And I say all of this as a deep1fan of good, thoughtful music. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,1211img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" /1 b,121 Norman Rockwell

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    sound good for people to care? Is there no room to appreciate an album for its cover art,1vibes, or perspective, regardless of the music within? The LP record became a folk medium once it became affordable enough for the everyman to create one. Dismissing a person's vision because you don't like the1music is short-sighted and little dude. I know1many people that collect beautiful looking books with bullshit contents, or naive art that doesn't "work" but is1in the end intriguing and engaging. The rise of the Boner(!) came about when every single dude on the planet started looking for the same 200 records, and all of the fun and excitement left the hobby. Just saying that there are multiple, complex1facets to a work of art, so to boil an LP down to simply "Does it sound good?" is missing the point entirely.1And I say all of this as a deep1fan of good, thoughtful music. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121Please.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Huge1img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" /1 .b,121b,121Music - like any art really - depends on a medium for its transmission. As soon as that medium is1introduced it (necessarily? plaese to give thoughts) becomes a part of the context in which the1music is presented and therefore1a part of the total experience of the artwork. I don't think Dante is saying that the1music doesn't matter at all - it's an important (the1most important? i think so, but i'm not sure) element of the art, just not the only elementb,121b,121To use an example from one of my favorites from that thread: b,121b,121This cover conveys so much emotion and feeling and induces just as much contemplation and thought as any good work of art should. But you can't separate this image on the cover as one work of visual art and the1music that is held on the1record inside as a separate work of auditory art. They're tied up together. And in this case, the beauty of the visual aspect is overwhelming.b,121img src="http://www.ohiosoulrecordings.com/1m4935/labels/roten.jpg"1b,121b,121[breathe] [/breathe]

• You have got to be kidding.

• boner1vibes

• Schadenfreude?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    I admit it: obscurity rules. Yes, most of these homemade or small time independent label deals don't stack up against the (then) big time acts they try to copy, but it's amazing when they do hit that mark of quality music. A dollar spent at the1thrift on some record with amazing cover art to a lame spoken word record, for example, is a hundred times better than spending it on a fast food burrito or something similar.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121 but it's amazing when they do hit that mark of quality music. 1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121How1many of these Bonerz do you really think have EVER hit the mark? These Bonerz be virgins, that's the beauty of the thread... Fantastic