font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Does All-Star Superman really pick up? I've only read the first trade. I'm still learning, reading, and appreciating more comics from the 50s-70s, and when I read the first trade, it kinda felt like listening to a retro-soul group...technically proficient and not bad by any means, but one would be better served just raiding the bins if looking for a nostalgia kick.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Id have to disagree.
    b, 21
    b, 21Its good writing and exceptional art. That dudes pencil quality is nuthin like those Curt Swan 50's steez.
    b, 21
    b, 21The feel is old w/ a totally new technological language...imo.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I have just read the first issue, which I dug a lot.b, 21b, 21Curt Swan = love/hate....love it as long as Murphy Anderson is inking his pencils

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Does All-Star Superman really pick up? I've only read the first trade. I'm still learning, reading, and appreciating more comics from the 50s-70s, and when I read the first trade, it kinda felt like listening to a retro-soul group...technically proficient and not bad by any means, but one would be better served just raiding the bins if looking for a nostalgia kick.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Id have to disagree.
    b, 21
    b, 21Its good writing and exceptional art. That dudes pencil quality is nuthin like those Curt Swan 50's steez.
    b, 21
    b, 21The feel is old w/ a totally new technological language...imo.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21I have just read the first issue, which I dug a lot.
    b, 21
    b, 21Curt Swan = love/hate....love it as long as Murphy Anderson is inking his pencils
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Swan/Anderson is classic.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    bump

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    My favorites of my early pre-teen & early teenage years:

CEREBUS
    LOVE & ROCKETS
    AMERICAN SPLENDOR
    MOON KNIGHT (the original Siencowicz series)
    RONIN
    X-MEN (John Byrne and the first Paul Smiths)
    TOMB OF DRACULA
    JUDGE DREDD

I read almost all of the big Marvel and several of the big DC titles of the time (1980-1983) but those are the ones that stuck with me the most, and would probably be worth revisiting now.

word

• i sold most of my collection around 1990.from mad magazines to marvel team up...who on here knows about the comic book market of today ?
    i remember then....thinking i was gonna gee off, looking in the price guides, go to the shop and not get jack shit near what the book said.
    oh well...some ones i wish i still had.

in a way, they were like records to me....always buying both

comic book stores/record stores

..................some real nerds in this biiyatch.

• i sold most of my collection around 1990.from mad magazines to marvel team up...who on here knows about the comic book market of today ?
    i remember then....thinking i was gonna gee off, looking in the price guides, go to the shop and not get jack shit near what the book said.

I think there are more record stores in NYC than Comic Shops at this point.

I havent followed the market numbers in a minute. U could probably google the Wizard magazine and see what Gambit's debut issue will do once he's in the Wolverine Movie.

Or see what happens to the OG Watchmen - movie always give shit a small spike in value for a quick minute.

• Finally got to check out All Star Superman. It was great. Lived up to the hype I heard about it. I also read The Filth which is also by Morrison, that shit was crazy.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    i sold most of my collection around 1990.from mad magazines to marvel team up...who on here knows about the comic book market of today ?

I havent followed the market numbers in a minute. U could probably google the Wizard magazine and see what Gambit's debut issue will do once he's in the Wolverine Movie.

Or see what happens to the OG Watchmen - movie always give shit a small spike in value for a quick minute.

I was in a shop in Georgetown, DC yesterday....the gal at the counter was patiently trying to explain to the obnoxious tourist customer that they were out of the Obama/Spiderman issue. She was saying that it's in high demand in DC now, but that in a short time it really won't be worth shit due to it's already been thru 3 printings, and will no doubt hit 4 printings or more. Comics seem to have a crazier market than records, but I still grabbed the Obama cover for the hell of it.

Recently gave a friend of mine who is studying to be a priest this:

• Anybody read 100 Bullets? Last issue comes out next month. I'm looking forward to reading all issues to refresh myself with the story that's been developing for the last 10 years or so...
    Oh, and All-Star Superman is excellent.

• i was in forbidden planet on wed, and this sister had a handfull of a special edition Obama comics. She looked like she couldnt decide on coppin 2 or 7.

Those things aint worth anything plus, if your "saving" it for your grandchild to enjoy it, well the holographic internet will have it for him.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    i was in forbidden planet on wed, and this sister had a handfull of a special edition Obama comics. She looked like she couldnt decide on coppin 2 or 7.

Those things aint worth anything plus, if your "saving" it for your grandchild to enjoy it, well the holographic internet will have it for him.

I haven't even read the thing, just tossed it in with the newspapers and buttons my wife and I have put in a box.

Round my way, they had a one per customer rule, and when I went to one shop before the inauguration, I was perplexed by the people coming in, it looked like someone had stopped a church bus off in front of the comic shop.

I was in a shop in Georgetown, DC yesterday....the gal at the counter was patiently trying to explain to the obnoxious tourist customer that they were out of the Obama/Spiderman issue. She was saying that it's in high demand in DC now, but that in a short time it really won't be worth shit due to it's already been thru 3 printings, and will no doubt hit 4 printings or more. Comics seem to have a crazier market than records, but I still grabbed the Obama cover for the hell of it.

Recently gave a friend of mine who is studying to be a priest this:

I like the Pope's Silvio Dante/ Arthur Fonzarelli lean...

bomp

My boy thinks the "Death of Captain America" is gonna end up as a shapeshifting Skrull.

I have no idea what DC is gonna w/ the dead Batman.

But seeing the growing pains that Robin & Nightwing are goin thru is some good drama.

My special wish is to see an Alfred Pennyworth mini-series

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    blackest night = black lanterns = zombie batman????

DC cant kill off batman for long. be back within 2 years.

DC cant kill off batman for long. be back within 2 years.

of course

at this point - there real drama in superhero deaths is the comeback/rebirth story.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i just traed my new purchases for some old classics

• i love
    batman-the cult (graphic novel series)
    batman- gothic (legends of the dark knight storyline)
    all daredevil/bullseye storylines
    spiderman- kraven the hunter storyline

• The Darkness used to be fun (sort of.)
    Gen13 had some great graphix as well.
    Psycho Circus 1-2 by the creator of Spawn was kinda fun too!

I just copped the Hulk VS. Wolverine and Thor DVD.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    I just found out that Weapon X means Weapon number 10. w/
    Weapon number 1 is Project Rebirth - aka The Super Soldier Serum aka Captain America.

" Weapon I
    Project: Rebirth, headed by Professor Abraham Erskine (given Reinstein's name as a cover identity) managed to produce Captain America (Steve Rogers). However, Erskine was murdered moments after Rogers was successfully empowered, the refinements he introduced which made the process successful lost with his death. With his demise, Josef Reinstein took over the American program.

Two other subjects, Clinton McIntyre, a.k.a. Protocide, a failed experiment who was placed in suspended animation and was revived in the modern era by AIM, and the first mutant experiment designated Queen seem to have occurred prior to the Super Soldier Serum being tested on Steve Rogers.

Reinstein's early attempts to refine the formula resulted in African American super soldiers (most prominently Isaiah Bradley). Three hundred African-American soldiers were taken from Camp Cathcart and subjected to potentially fatal experiments at an undisclosed location, as seen in Truth: Red, White & Black in an attempt to recreate the Super Soldier formula. Only five men survived the original trials; hundreds of test subjects left behind at Camp Cathcart and the camp's commander were executed by US soldiers in the name of secrecy, the families of the three hundred were told that they had died in battle. Isaiah Bradley was the lone survivor.

Although there were many later attempts to recreate or reverse-engineer Project: Rebirth's Super-Soldier Serum, none are known to have been involved with Weapon Plus except for the attempt that resulted in the creation of Isaiah Bradley's son Josiah X. Weapon Plus considers Captain America as its most successful creation, despite the fact that Rogers has been at odds with the United States government a number of times. It should be noted that Project: Rebirth was retroactively made a part of the Weapon Plus after WWII when Weapon Plus was actually formed."

• Anybody read the conclusion of 100 Bullets or any other Vertigo titles? I've also been reading Incognito and anything by Ed Brubaker. What's good these days?

• hit up your local shop on saturday for some freebies

free comic book day

i've been exceptionally happy with the anthologies (vol 1, vol 2) that ivan brunetti's been putting out the past couple of years. check em out if the indie stuff is your bag.