first time pet owner question

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited September 2008 in Strut Central
no i dont own a pet, yet. my question is, if i were to move into a 500 square ft apartment and work a 9-5 job on weekdays, living on my own, is it...what's the right word, "feasible" to have a pet and be able to take care of its needs?even if i party on the weekend and may not be home the next day, but the day after that?b,121b,121i've never had a pet before so forgive my ignorance, i was looking through that pets thread and was like damn i wish i had a pet. but i've always thought if u have a pet u need a backyard and a house or something.just like zoos, i always thought limited space for a pet is torture. i need to pick your brains since y'all seem experienced with pets.b,121b,121i mean, if im working a 9-5 with noone home, can u leave a pet alone in your appartment? will they wreck all your furniture or piss/sht everywhere? i know this sounds ridiculous,or selfish, again, i've never owned a pet, so these are the questions i have. whether its a dog or cat, what if i spend a weekend away from home, is a cat/dog ok by itself for a day or two with enough food left in a bowl or will they just eat whatever is available the first day and then be worried like hell the next day because you are not there? i need info on the psychology of pets.b,121b,121b,121i love walking. i walk for like 2 hours at least 3 times a week which made me think maybe having a pet would be fun with regards to this lifestyle...but cats dont walk on a leash so this puts me in the dog category right?b,121b,121b,121i know i rambled a bit, but please give me your impressions, should i stick to a fish in an aquarium?i haven't even done that yet, so maybe i'l look at that as a possibility...or maybe a bird?...i dont have to take it out of the cage do i?b,121b,121your suggestions positive and negative are appreciated.

Comments

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121is a cat/dog ok by itself for a day or two with enough food left in a bowl b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121please don't get a pet.b,121maybe a goldfish but not a cat and not a dog.

• It depends if you get a puppy or baby anything for that matter. I would def see it as a bit of a problem to leave them home and couped up indoors by themselves for such a long period. b,121I don't know but i probaly wouldn't advise it, but then i know what my pup was like (terrorising the place or crying when left alone) and with the toilet training (he used to pee as he walked/ran so there'd be a 5metre trail around the place). But then again, my pet experience is only known with the help of 5 others....so there's always been someone around or home to feed him/walk him/play with him etc. People clearly get pets by themselves all the time so sure it aint a problem.....it all just depends on how much responsibility you want??b,121You only have to feed spiders every couple of days right??

• oddly when i clicked on this i see a petco add

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Yeah, at this point in your life you're not ready for a dog or cat. At a young age they need a lot of attention, not just for physical sustenance, but for healthy mental growth too. A pet that doesn't need as much interaction or attention would be better.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    thank u peeps. again, all i want to do was compare my current lifestyle to how accomodating it would be on a pet's part. i never hear this kind of thing discussed with respect to pets, so i appreciate your info. when im at a different stage of life and it works for the pet, we'l see if we work something out. b,121b,121so just to understand things correctly:b,121b,1211)say i wanted a dog. and i'm not home from 9-5. is hiring someone to walk it while i'm at work something that would allow me to own it when i come home and walk it every other night alright?b,121b,1212)say i wanted a cat. and i'm not home 9-5. um, does it take care of itself or what's the deal, u can't walk cats...b,121b,1213)a 500 sq ft appt. can pets really live in such a small place? thats all i can afford, but can a pet be comfy in such a small environment? i'm sadly inclined to think or believe they can't.b,121b,121basically people im just asking what are the traits of domestic pets that would suit my life.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121b,121basically people im just asking what are the traits of domestic pets that would suit my life. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121img src="http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w330/SelinaKyle1983/Eeyore.jpg"1

• My friend that owns 3 cats told me that you can leave them alone for long periods of time if you get yourself an automatic feeder.. but you have to make sure that they are well aware of their environment (like training them what to do and what not to do) and make sure that you spend a couple of hours a day chillin wit them and making sure they are getting some physical interaction

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121thank u peeps. again, all i want to do was compare my current lifestyle to how accomodating it would be on a pet's part. i never hear this kind of thing discussed with respect to pets, so i appreciate your info. when im at a different stage of life and it works for the pet, we'l see if we work something out. b,121b,121so just to understand things correctly:b,121b,1211)say i wanted a dog. and i'm not home from 9-5. is hiring someone to walk it while i'm at work something that would allow me to own it when i come home and walk it every other night alright?b,121b,1212)say i wanted a cat. and i'm not home 9-5. um, does it take care of itself or what's the deal, u can't walk cats...b,121b,1213)a 500 sq ft appt. can pets really live in such a small place? thats all i can afford, but can a pet be comfy in such a small environment? i'm sadly inclined to think or believe they can't.b,121b,121basically people im just asking what are the traits of domestic pets that would suit my life. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121There are people with your kind of schedule who own a cat.b,121I personally don't think that's cool but if it's a rescue, it's probably better than certain death (depending if you believe in an afterlife for cats).b,121Pets also get lonely and they need something happening around them.b,121Being all by yourself without any stimulation is a form of torture.b,121As far as dogs go, just don't get a dog.b,121A dog needs at least two walks every day.b,121And that's it. If it rains or not, if you've been out all night or not, even if you're sick or whatnot.b,121I walk my dogs to and around the park twice every day for an hour to 90 minutes.b,121That might be excessive but I do have the time and I enjoy it.b,121One longer walk of 45 minutes and a short one of at least 15 minutes would do -but not be ideal!b,121From what you sound like, you're not ready for this. That's not a bad thing, I would have been much more unfit to have a pet at any earlier time in my life even than you are now. A dog is a daily commitment for some 12-14 years of your life.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121As far as dogs go, just don't get a dog.b,121b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    do not get a dog. i cannot say this enough. your schedule and 500 sq ft is not fair to either of you. i don't know how much stick-to-itiveness you have, but if it's just you looking after Buttercup and you get home after a long day, are you going to give your dog enough time to run around when you get home? in the dead of a Toronto winter? there should be a morning shift, too.b,121it sounds like you like the idea of walking with a dog more than having that company at a home you may not be in regularly, there are places you can volunteer to walk and play with dogs.b,121it would also be totally unfair to bring an animal into a new space and not be around for the first while to ease it in. s/he may very well destroy things and piss and shit as a reaction.b,121b,121cats are more independent and would fare better with your schedule and space, but that's not a universal rule. man and i had your same schedule a few yrs back and my cat (RIP Puss) got fat and, for lack of a better word, depressed. she didn't really clean herself properly, she got flaky skin and inactive. we got a kitten as a friend to her and moved to a place with a backyard, both within a few months and she became a new cat for the better. b,121people act like cats don't need company or attention because of their demeanor, but they are not lions on the savannah, they are domesticated and that changes things, mainly having to actually care for and love them.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121As far as dogs go, just don't get a dog.b,121b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1 b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121so then my question is this, then. do cats have stamina or indifference to be able to withstand the lack of affection between the time of a 9 to 5er?b,121b,121what makes y'all say dont get a dog as opposed to dont get a cat? again im just really ignorant on this subject, so please lay down the knowledge.

i see now that i am not prepared for this. dudes and dudettes, i've never even thought about the psychology of a "pet" so i think it will be a while before i consider possibly adopting such a life style. but again i really appreciate u givin me info in terms of the psychology from a pet's perspective, which is something i've never encountered. i'l never say its not right for me later, but for now i'l contemplate.b,121peace

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121As far as dogs go, just don't get a dog.b,121b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1 b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121so then my question is this, then. do cats have stamina or indifference to be able to withstand the lack of affection between the time of a 9 to 5er?b,121b,121what makes y'all say dont get a dog as opposed to dont get a cat? again im just really ignorant on this subject, so please lay down the knowledge. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Like its already been said, you probably shouldn't get a cat either, but in the end a cat is just much more independent than a dog in general. A cat does not need to go on walks every day, and they can use a litter box inside. While a cat would probably be lonely from 9 to 5, a dog would be downright miserable, and would not be mentally together. To have a (grown) cat in that situation might be irresponsible, but to have a dog would just be cruel.b,121b,121A lot of people let their cats roam around outside while they are gone (this depends on if you're in the middle of a big city or not). This is a big risk, since cats get hit by cars all the time, but I've known plenty of cats who have been OK doing this. In an apartment, this is not even an option with a dog.

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    Straight up, I would NOT recommend getting a pet at this point in your life.b,121b,121That said there are some pretty important things to think about when you do. I'll try to keep this as short as possible so as not to write an entire essay.b,121b,121I'll give my opinion (coming as a former pet adoption counselor at a local animal shelter - I did this for a living). People may or mat not agree with what I have to say, and I will not call myself an "expert" but I've seen a whole lot of different situations over the multiple years of talking to people about what they THINK they need to do to take care of an animal versus what they ACTUALLY need to do.b,121b,121First off, PLEASE do not buy a pet. If you're going to get an animal go to an animal shelter, or a rescue or find a friend who needs to re-home their animal, in other words, adopt. Last thing we need is people making money off of creating animals when the animal shelter down the street is killing them claiming there are "too many."b,121b,121Bottom line is that pets are huge commitments. They're basically like children, you need to feed them, exercise them, teach them manners (i.e. socialize/train), take them to the doctor, etc. Just think about it in that sense, for real.b,121b,121I'll break it down like this.b,121b,121When you are ready for a dog (don't get a puppy, get an adult, over two, it will be much easier for a first pet), these are key = exercise, socialization/training, attention (aside from the food and water thing). Dogs are pack animals so they want to be with you, not in your back yard tied up. Living space isn't much of an issue if you are able to give them the outside stimulation/exercise they need (that's usually more than a walk). If they're not getting that, then they will Fusk your shit up (not out of spite, but out of boredom). Realistically, what does your dog do when you're at home? Sleep, if it's getting enough exercise, so space isn't crucial, but it's nice to have some. Also, with dogs you can't leave them alone for longer than a day, no way, they NEED you. But, if you work 9-5 I'd recommend getting a dog walker or something of that nature.b,121b,121For cats (also wouldn't recommend a kitten at first, unless you get some really helpful info), key things = exercise, socialization, attention. Cats are much more independent but they still rely on you - plus I've seen some really needy cats so it can go either way. Yes, they will play on their own (sometimes) but having you at the other end of the toy is much more exciting than batting a ball around. Outside time can be good (if supervised, and you can actually walk cats, some will tolerate it, even enjoy it, some won't). If you're in a big city I'd NOT recommend it, but just don't let your cat roam, bad news. Lack of stimulation can lead to them fusking your shit up. Cats, you could leave alone for more than a day (as long as they have food/water and a litter box), although I wouldn't really recommend it unless you've got someone coming in an checking on them, for pure safety reasons.b,121b,121I think that's it in a nutshell. Cats and Dogs are what I know (except for the snakes, lizards, frogs, rabbits, etc. I had growing up), anything else I don't know a whole lot about but I think you can use this as a basis for most animals. My cats are my kids, seriously.b,121b,121Check out a href="http://www.petsincredible.com/Videos.php" target="_blank"1these/a1 DVDS, they will be helpful.b,121b,121Hope that answered some of your questions. More than happy to answer more.

thanks very much for being so thorough.b,121this is something i've just been contemplating and i really wanted to be aware of it all. b,121lots to consider to say the least! appreciate it.

• get some plants. baby steps.

lmao, i hear that. venus fly traps and those purple plants that look like bats

• serious. some people can't even take care of plants.