Sharon Jones vs. Ike Turner

hans_lucashans_lucas 159 Posts
edited March 2005 in Strut Central
I am dead broke right now, but I have a birthday coming up.My girl can take me to see Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, or Ike Turner and the Kings of Rhythm.What do Strutters think I should choose?

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Sharon Jones plays all the time... Ike Turner may be a once in a lifetime deal, depending where you reside.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Oui Oui! Masculin Feminin!

Go see Ike Turner - how much are tickets?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    where is the Ike show? I'm probably going to that very sharon show @ lee's.......Last time I saw her was their first show in Toronto at the Riv. I think now named it one of the top 10 shows of that year.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    I thought this was going to be who would win in a fight type question.

so, who would win?

Sharon Jones or Ike?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I thought this thread was going to be about a court case

EDIT: Ike would "body" her and all the Dap Kings all by himself with his bare hands

• where is the Ike show? I'm probably going to that very sharon show @ lee's.......Last time I saw her was their first show in Toronto at the Riv. I think now named it one of the top 10 shows of that year.

Ike is at the Reverb on April 16. Tix are $38

Sharon tix are only $15

Basically what I want to know is whether anyone has seen Ike Turner lately. I know the Sharon show will be smokin', but does anyone know what Ike's shows are like these days?

• joostjoost 46 Posts
    check
    http://www.solesides.com/sharonjonesa.htm

for pictures of the gig from last Tuesday. They played at a place which is about a 3 minutes walk from my house. That's still a bit weird, imo...

it was dope as hell.... keep checking that page for the audio from the gig. Should be online soon

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Come on... some old wifebeater who's 30 years past his prime
    or the hottest band on earth who deserves all the support they can possibly get?

What kind of a question is that?

Buy a nice bottle of wine from the difference and you got yourself a win-win situation!

• Sharon Jones plays all the time... Ike Turner may be a once in a lifetime deal, depending where you reside.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

or the hottest band on earth who deserves all the support they can possibly get?

Buy a nice sack of weed[/b] from the difference and you got yourself a win-win situation!

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

Buy a nice bottle of wine from the difference and you got yourself a win-win situation!

That was keeping it real until the bottle of wine thing. Spend it on Daptone and Soulfire 45s instead. Playable investment.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Buy a nice box of wine from the difference and you got yourself a win-win situation!

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

vs.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Basically what I want to know is whether anyone has seen Ike Turner lately. I know the Sharon show will be smokin', but does anyone know what Ike's shows are like these days?

When I saw him a few years back, it was really good. heavier on the 1950's Kings Of Rhythm stuff, the Tina-era things were kept to a bare minimum (which is what I was hoping for).

• Basically what I want to know is whether anyone has seen Ike Turner lately. I know the Sharon show will be smokin', but does anyone know what Ike's shows are like these days?

When I saw him a few years back, it was really good. heavier on the 1950's Kings Of Rhythm stuff, the Tina-era things were kept to a bare minimum (which is what I was hoping for).

Damn! I love the Ike & Tina shit!

• Options
    Any NY area folks going to either of the shows on the 8th and 9th of April? I think I might go the 8th.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Right, but Tina wasn't there, so you look for some "Rocket 88" steez.

• LewisLewis Connecticut 101 Posts
    hey sween
    i hope to make the saturday 9th show and then if its not crazy late afterwards head over to APT for the Bumpshop mao and finewines new monthy funk/soul night

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Right, but Tina wasn't there, so you look for some "Rocket 88" steez.

Besides, I'd rather hear Ike without Tina than Tina without Ike. He was more than just Tina's backup guy. Those BLUES ROOTS and BAD DREAMS albums he did in '72 and '73 are stone classics.

• Besides, I'd rather hear Ike without Tina than Tina without Ike. He was more than just Tina's backup guy.

No question about that. If this was a Sharon Jones vs. Tina Turner thread, I'd be weighing in on the Sharon side. I just don't know the Ike solo stuff at all, but I have tons of the Ike & Tina stuff.

• So my girl and I decided on the Sharon Jones gig last night. No regrets. Actually one regret. I never made it close enough to the front to jump on stage and dance.

Here we are dressed up and ready to go:

Also bought her latest record, but they only had test pressings:

Can s tell me if this is going to be worth something in the future?

Tip to those copping vinyl at a Sharon Jones show:

I bought my records before the band came on, because I was worried about a run on their stuff after the thread about her 45s blowing up on eBay. A drag, because it's hard to get down when you are hanging on to a couple of LPs and 45s. The test pressing of Naturally cost 15 bucks. After the show, they charged my friend Elaine 20 bucks for the same record! 33% profit in 2 hours!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    let me emphasize how much tighter they were compared to the first time I saw them in 2001. They were quite dope back then already, so you can only imagine how insanely on point they are now. I copped the web/tour only 45 for a measley $5, what a bargain.

Highlights were the extended "my man is a mean man" romp and Sharon pulling out her dance repetoire during the encore.