Blogging for extra cash (NRR)

waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
edited September 2008 in Strut Central
b,121For those who know anything about this, I'm wondering how many unique visitors per month is necessary to generate some decent income through ad sales? I have a blog (nrr) that is just starting to get some traffic, but it is definitely in its infancy.b,121b,121I suppose my main question is, at what point do the numbers become worthwhile? Is there a general scale, or a rule of thumb here? I remember reading about a dude in Manhattan who had a food blog dedicated to lunch carts. He was getting enough traffic to make an extra $1,000 per month.b,121b,121I originally began blogging so I would simply have some writing samples online (kind of like a working portfolio), and somehow my entries have been featured on other sites (I have no idea how they even found me). At what point would my traffic warrant ad sales?b,121b,121Any ideas?

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    This is a really loose guess, but if you're trying to make $1000 a month, AFTER expenses (bandwidth for example), I'd think you'd have to average at least 10,000 hits a day if not greater than that. b,121b,121For audioblogs (I'm assuming that's what you have), that's a1tough number to reach unless you're drawing in a really wide audience vs. a specialized one. There's probably a few hip-hop blogs that do those kind of numbers but it's really the indie music ones like Stereogum or Music For Robots that can pull into over a few thousand a day.

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121somehow my entries have been featured on other sites (I have no idea how they even found me). b,121b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Did they pay you for your articles?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I could use 3 jobs. Didn't one of those high profile bloggers ask for donations to stay afloat, blogging full time?

• BLOGGERS BE BLOGGING

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I could use 3 jobs. Didn't one of those high profile bloggers ask for donations to stay afloat, blogging full time? b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121that brings me backb,121remember the Internet in '96 where everyone with a personal web site solicited donations to keep it running.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    No, my entries are free for the world to see, so as long as these other sites provided a link and attributes (which they did), then I cannot really expect anything more.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121This is a really loose guess, but if you're trying to make $1000 a month, AFTER expenses (bandwidth for example), I'd think you'd have to average at least 10,000 hits a day if not greater than that. b,121b,121For audioblogs (I'm assuming that's what you have), that's a tough number to reach unless you're drawing in a really wide audience vs. a specialized one. There's probably a few hip-hop blogs that do those kind of numbers but it's really the indie music ones like Stereogum or Music For Robots that can pull into over a few thousand a day. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121My blog is just a food and wine blog. Again, I have a long way to go before I hit any serious numbers. But if it ever went really viral, I was wondering what the numbers would have to be.

• link?

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121link? b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121a href="http://www.thirstyreader.com/"1target="_blank"1Thirsty Reader. Sometimes I am talkin' bout chicken and gravy, mang.